Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

posterior baby

hi, just wondering if anyone could tell me what the pains were like for a postior baby pre-labour. i'm 35+5 weeks and have been having pains for last 3-4 weeks, although past few days it's a lot worse and won't go away with paracetamol. i've tried everything to move baby into better position, so much so i've hurt my knee (old hockey injury-twisted it badly), so not only am i having pain in lower back and whole of pelvic floor but my knee is agony too!
i know the birth and labour is more painful it's not that which is worring me, it's whether i am in slow labour now!
been in to hosp fri night as i thought i may be starting to dilate, had contractions most of that day and night before but they stayed at 15 mins apart and did sometimes go off after a few hours. also i'd been having a very bloody show since late wed night. when i went in midwife was lovely and said contractions were very mild although she could see i was feeling them, she felt baby and said it was postior which i already knew so that was what was making the contractions more painful. she sent for a doc to examine me and he was very quick compared to the other times i've been examined, so quick i think he actually gave me a membrane sweep (certainly felt like the one i had last preg!)! all he said to me was even if i was in labour they wouldn't stop it, examined me but only with his fingers and said everything closed up still, then left. even midwife was shocked how quick he'd been!
since he examined me i've had lots of lower back and pelvic floor pain and lots and lots of bloody show, had to wear a pad all sat and this morning. it's eased off now but is still there when i wipe. i have a midwife appt on wed but don't know whether to phone hospital up tomorrow and ask to be checked out again. they did say i'd probebly have more of a show due to examination but really wasn't expecting as much as what i've had.
just feel that i'm wasting there time as i've already been in 3 times!! it's my second baby too so i feel sorry for my little girl (23 months) as i'm struggling to play with, pick her up, take her out, etc.
i just want tro know if i could be in pre-labour or if this is normal with a postior baby.
thanks, and sorry for rant!

Replies

• Options
    I'm not really sure. I didn't want to leave your post unanswered.
    I don't think you're wasting anyone's time by going into hosp again. Don't let them fob you off.

Hope you feel better soon xx
  • Options
    Posterior babies do cause more general discomfort but lower back pain is also where you'll get your contractions. I managed to get my baby to turn away from posterior by walking regularly (30 mins several times a day) as I can't really spend much time on my knees either. I also made sure I wasn't sitting down too much so I lay down on the sofa instead.

Hope things go ok for you and good luck at the docs again.
  • Options
    just to update:- had a terrible night. usually pain isn't too bad when i'm laid down but was in so much pain i was up half the night, ended up not being able to have any more paracetamol but was so desperate for something i had some calpol and a warm bath, bath eased things off so after half an hour i was really tired so got out. nearly collapsed on floor as pain came shooting back. only thing i could think of using was tens machine and that helped so i managed 2 hours sleep before robyn woke up.
    i phoned hospital and told them what happened and the midwife said it sounds like "head fitting pains" and to take co codamol and that should ease it. well it's not really so going to leave it till this evening then phone them back, then at least i can say i've tried.
  • Options
    well after my partner came home at 6 monday night we ended up going into hospital. got there for 7 and they put me in a room but forgot to put monitor on. contractions were 10 mins apart but after 40 mins went straight to 5 mns. partne went for midwife who was very very apologetic (there'd been a shift change) she said they would do a quick tracing for 20 mins as she could see i struggled to lie on bed. she then left to room it was 10 mins before i had another contraction, to my horror the babys heaart rate dipped right down! we waited for next one just incase it was a one of. 15 mins passed, so i did start to doubt i was in labour. when it came heart rate dipped, my parner dropped her drink and ran for the midwife! she came back with 2 shortly followed by the doc. they said it was good that iwas laid down as i'd had only 2 rather than more whilst been upright. doc examined me and was very thorough, se found i was 3 cm dialated and waters were bulging! they explained they'd monitor my progress on the labour ward for 1 hour then would induce if not progressing. i got to labour ward and had the best midwife ever! after 50 mins i needed gas and air, once id took my 1st breath contractions came on top of each other, an hour later i passed out briefly, i came round and she examined me, waters till hadn't gone but i was 7cm. she allowed me another 30 mins and then asked if i wanted waters breaking, after she broke them i felt much better, things progressed even quicker then and i asked for somme morphine, she said there was no time as i'd have had the baby before it even started to work! she then told me to give her chance to put her gloves on before pushing! she only managed to get one on and deliverd zac thomas at 1207am on 18.03.08 weighing a whopping 6lb 12oz at just 35 weeks 5 days! due to his eigh we went straight ono a ward. we have now been tansferred to transitional care after he didn't feed for 2 days. he is bein tube fed now and is struggling to maintain his temp and he's also spent a day in incubator having phototherapy. the staff are great here and we are doing well. zac just needs some time to learn to suck and feed on his own. he'll get there.like they keep saying, he was big at birth but he's still premeture. my midwife has since visited me several times a day as we really got on well with her!
  • Options
    well after my partner came home at 6 monday night we ended up going into hospital. got there for 7 and they put me in a room but forgot to put monitor on. contractions were 10 mins apart but after 40 mins went straight to 5 mns. partne went for midwife who was very very apologetic (there'd been a shift change) she said they would do a quick tracing for 20 mins as she could see i struggled to lie on bed. she then left to room it was 10 mins before i had another contraction, to my horror the babys heaart rate dipped right down! we waited for next one just incase it was a one of. 15 mins passed, so i did start to doubt i was in labour. when it came heart rate dipped, my parner dropped her drink and ran for the midwife! she came back with 2 shortly followed by the doc. they said it was good that iwas laid down as i'd had only 2 rather than more whilst been upright. doc examined me and was very thorough, se found i was 3 cm dialated and waters were bulging! they explained they'd monitor my progress on the labour ward for 1 hour then would induce if not progressing. i got to labour ward and had the best midwife ever! after 50 mins i needed gas and air, once id took my 1st breath contractions came on top of each other, an hour later i passed out briefly, i came round and she examined me, waters till hadn't gone but i was 7cm. she allowed me another 30 mins and then asked if i wanted waters breaking, after she broke them i felt much better, things progressed even quicker then and i asked for somme morphine, she said there was no time as i'd have had the baby before it even started to work! she then told me to give her chance to put her gloves on before pushing! she only managed to get one on and deliverd zac thomas at 1207am on 18.03.08 weighing a whopping 6lb 12oz at just 35 weeks 5 days! due to his eigh we went straight ono a ward. we have now been tansferred to transitional care after he didn't feed for 2 days. he is bein tube fed now and is struggling to maintain his temp and he's also spent a day in incubator having phototherapy. the staff are great here and we are doing well. zac just needs some time to learn to suck and feed on his own. he'll get there.like they keep saying, he was big at birth but he's still premeture. my midwife has since visited me several times a day as we really got on well with her!
  • Options
    congratulations image i was 6lb 12oz when i was born at 36 weeks with my mum!!!
    hope he comes home soon
  • Options
    congratulations honey. i hope he has a speedy stay in hospital and that you's can all get home and get on with things asap! xx
  • Options
    Congratulations! Hope Zac comes home soon. Take care of you and the LO x
  • Options
    Congratulations. Bet you are glad its over with now!! I was just away to reply to your post as I had a posterior baby and was 50 hours in labour. Worst 3 days ever!!! All worth it in the end though.

Good luck and hope lo gets better soon.
  • Options
    hey posted congrats on ap forum but well done sweetie x
    http://bd.lilypie.com/Mf5O0/.png