Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

perenial massage ??

hi has anyone done t his in previous pregnancies and did it help with not tearing? what oil is it that you use?

i didnt do it last time, and didnt tear anyway, but baby was only 7lb2, and think this ones bigger. does it really help anything?

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/raspberryteaeaselabourexpert/

Replies

• Options
    hi has anyone done t his in previous pregnancies and did it help with not tearing? what oil is it that you use?

i didnt do it last time, and didnt tear anyway, but baby was only 7lb2, and think this ones bigger. does it really help anything?
    irth/raspberryteaeaselabourexpert/

• Options
    oh sorry dont know what happened there!
  • Options
    hello, i look forward to reading the replies. I was thinking this yesterday and was considering posting on here. xxx
  • Options
    Anyone? I wondered about this too and I'm sure there was a long post about it ages ago but can't find it now!
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks for that Caz. This is something that I have been really thinking about as I am terrified of tearing- I'm willing to try anything that might make it less likely. Can I be really cheeky and ask one question- how easy was it for you to reach?? I'm only at 25 weeks now, can't really imagine how big I will be by the end!
  • Options
    lol, yeah I can just imagine being in that position and then getting a knock on the door! Will have to warn my husband that I am not to be disturbed!
  • Options
    i did perenial massage with olive oil n had 10lb 110z bub n not a stitch did walk like john wayne tho lol xxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    wow big baby!!i was gonna ask bout this too,didnt do it with my 1st,had few stitches but not many,she was 8lb14oz and this baby is estimated to be at least 9lb4oz so was wondering if i should give this a go.I've got just over 4 weeks to go so might go get some oil!is it almond oil ur meant 2 use?do u just get it frm the oil bit in supermarket?
  • Options
    thanx hun,think im gonna take a trip to holland & barret nxt week to get some raspberry leaf tea capsules so will get some oil while im there.I'm in hospital thurs tho n baby could come any time frm then so will wait till after thurs before spending!
  • Options
    i have cervical stitches in when pregnant cuz we lost our 1st baby when i went into labour v early so its 2 try prevenr this happening again.I am in hospital nxt thurs to have them taken out so as i'll b almost 37 wks so in theory she could come anytime frm then!think i've got sum baby oil actually in babys room!wud that b ok 2 use down there? xx
  • Options
    i just bought my almond oil from boots for about ??1.50
  • Options
    yea i am,we now have a little girl almost 3 and this 1 on the way,i am under a gr8 consultant and really greatful for how hes helped.Thanx for wishing me luck,i'll post on here when im back home either with baby in or out!!lol hanna 36wks xx
  • Options
    I posted this same Q when i was near to the end! I tried it... what have you got to loose!! I had a natural birth and didnt tear, i dont know if the massage had anything to do with it but i would def do it again. (tearing was my big fear!) Listen to what the midwife says, stop pushing right at the end so your perenium has a chance to stretch.

ps. I just used olive oil once a day for 2 weeks at the end. x