Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

babyskye might not be growing :( please help

Hi there ladies

(**have also posted this in due aug chat**)
Since my 28weeks mw appointment i have been told that babyskye is too small then ok and small again changing every time I've been to see her but that there is not a problem cause I'm only little and i don't need to worry about a scan,
Monday when i saw mw at my 37week appointment she said the same as she had most time before that baby hadn't changed in size, or if had not by much, but nothing to worry about then today i got a phone call from the maternity/labour ward say it was important that i came for a scan and they were sorry but the earliest appointment they could now give me was 22nd, and that really i should have been in to see her a few weeks back, I'm now very confused and quite scared

Does anyone know what they will do if babyskye is small?,or what my choses might be? by the time of my appointment I'm going to be 38+3, xxx
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev215pfs__.png

Replies

• Options
    hi there dont panic i am pg with baby no4 pgs 1an 3 they found that lo had stopped growing and they took my in early to start me off they were both small under 6 pounds but very healthy and had no promlems. they drive me up the wall now they are 11 and 7 lol. the scan they will probably do checks a bit more than the usawell scans. as long as lo is moving well and you are feeling well try not to worry. hope this helps a bit and i hope all gose well take care xxjojoxx. let me no how things go xx
  • Options
    hi there,

I was small for dates, but no one seemed worried, yet everyone I knew said what I small bump I had. I went into spontaneous labour at 38 +2 and after 1 1/2 hr labour gave birth to a 5lb 5oz LITTLE girl, despite my hubby being 6ft 1 and me being 5'7". She was perfectly healthy (apart from a bit jaundiced) but the midwife who delivered her said that it was just as well she came then as the placenta was infarcted (sp?) which basically means that it's finished and wouldn't have fed her anymore, which could have accounted for her small size. My mam apparently had exactly the same problem with myself and my brother! He's now a strapping 6ft + so I think you'll be ok. They may just start you off early if they think she's not growing in utero!

Good luck ~ little bundles grow well tho.

Rachael
  • Options
    Babyemzie - try not to worry. My bump is small and I come from a family of whopper 9lb to nearly 11lb babies (although OH's family are fairly little)! The MW didn't think it was a problem since the baby is always very active, but NICE guidelines recommend growth scans when the measurements are out by too much.

Had my scan last week (36+4 wks) and they said the fluid round the baby and blood supply are fine, and so although the head measurement is not following the growth curve, that is prob due to a mistake in the measurements at the 20 week scan where the margin of error is less. They told me to come back in 2 weeks for another scan, but no available appointments to book so am waiting to see if the baby beats them to it! Can you ask your hospital to call if they get any cancellations?

Can't help with what they do if the baby is having growth problems, but as the other ladies have said, even if they are small, that doesn't mean they won't be healthy.

Good luck x

• Options
    they said my baby was small and that there may not be enough amniotic fluid but he was 8lb when he was born and there was gallons of water when they broke, so sometimes they just make mistakes, don't worry too much, xx
  • Options
    i would weight and see what they say after the scan babe, as they cant always tell just by feeling your tummy, they thought my two were going to be a lot bigger and that i would have trouble giving birth to them, justin was 8lb 14oz and they though he was going to be almost 11lb.
    with my mate they though her baby was going to be tiny and it was born at just over 8ld x
  • Options
    Thanks ladies i feel a lot better after reading your replays, think I've always know I'm probably worrying over very little as still moving well, take care everyone image
  • Options
    I was the other way with Evie. From about 34 weeks I was measuring 38+ weeks so they sent me for a growth scan at 36 weeks as MW decided I had excess fluid and baby could be in danger. I spent a week panicking that something was wrong but the scan was fine, said she was a big baby (in excess of 10lb!!!!) and booked me in for a section at 38weeks. Evie was born at 38+2 and (only!) weighed 8lb. I know it's hard not to worry but the thing to remember is that the bump measurements and scans are only guides. It's rare that there is a problem but if there is the MWs and docs know what they're doing.

Good Luck.