Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

dull back ache at 39wks 4 days....is it labour?

im due may 1st and have started getting low back ache, quite a dull ache and it doesnt go away. im not experiencing any tightenings or any other symptoms.
Do you think this is the start of labour? if so, how long will it be before i start getting contractions? Im really not sure whats happening as this is my first and i dont have parents to ask advice.
Any advice would be great, thank you. Amy XX

Replies

• Options
    Hiya, I'm due same day as you! I've been having backaches on and off for the past week, it feels a bit like period pain. Nothing's come of it so far for me, but if you're having it constantly it could be a sign of early labour. Not sure on the time scale though. Good luck!

xxx
  • Options
    ive never had period pains so i dont know what they feel like! i hope this is it, i cant stand waiting!! and with it being my first i have no idea really on what to expect!
  • Options
    I know what you mean! My mw has been saying this baby will come early for the last 2 weeks and nothing's happened, I'm getting a bit impatient!

Wish I could tell you what to expect when labour kicks in but I honestly didn't realize anything was happening when I was in early labour with my daughter! I felt no different and had no pains to start with. I was booked for induction so went to hospital and they told me I was already in early labour so had waters broken and went on srip to speed up contractions.

So even though I've had one baby I still don't know what to expect if I go into labour!

xxx
  • Options
    Hi
    I was just looking on the website for some advice because i have had really bad back ache since 8pm yesterday. I saw your postand had to join so i could reply to you. I'm due on the same day (may1st) and have had really bad lower back pain since last night-i didn't sleep at all last night! Partly because of the pain but i was also wondering if this was labour starting and who i could phone to come and look after my other children.

This is my 3rd baby and all my pregnancy's and labours have been different so i am still in limbo as to if this is it.

I did ring the hospital this afternoon to ask thieir advice and was told that they thought the baby had probably turned over and all though would be still be head down, could be in the back to back position which would explain the pain. I was advised 2 paracetamol, a hot water bottle and a warm bath-which hasn't worked at all.

Sorry, i'm not much help but at least you know your not on your own with the pain.

Tina
  • Options
    i read somewhere too that it could be the position of the baby, and my baby was back to back and when i had a scan last thursday it wasnt back to back, it was lying round my side so, you could be right, could be the position of the baby, lets hope it doesnt get too uncomfortable for us girls and that labour isnt too far away! Roll on May 1st!! XXX
  • Options
    I know what you mean Tina, am dreading something happening in middle of night and then having to find someone to look after my little girl. Still at least I only have one to worry about!

Let's hope our May 1st babies get a wriggle on and make an appearance soon!

xxx
  • Options
    off to see the midwife in a couple of hours, so we'll see what she says about this back ache!
  • Options
    Oh let us know what she says and good luck- she might tell you you're baby will be coming soon!

xxx
  • Options
    hiya im 6 days over due 2morrow with my first baby she was back 2 back with me n all my contractions n labour was in my back so it could be the start of it 4 u hope it is as its horrible goin over

good luck anyways