Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Where do you feel contractions

Hi ya, I was just wondering where abouts you feel contractions in early labour.

Do you feel them at the top of you tummy, bottom of your tummy, lower back or low down in between your legs?

I've been having twinges in between my legs, but feels more like my bladder is being affected.

Thanks Gill
39+1

Replies

• Options
    Hi, just to say i've been feeling that too. like, shooting pains almost. And like you said sometimes i think it might just be my bladder, baby bashing it or something! I'd love to know if it's a sign of labour on its way!
    Lynsey 38+3
  • Options
    Hi guys, im no help at all as i didnt know i was in labour until an hour before Ellie was born. I listened to everyone saying that you will just know but i bloody didnt. My pain wasnt too bad either and i think if your worried you should phone your midwife as if i hadnt started bleeding during what was my unknown labour, i would never have went to the hospital at all and i swear my baby would have been born at my mums house where i was happily having a bath 2 hours before my baby was born!
    Hope these pains are a sign of imminent labour for you!
    Diane and Ellie. xxx
  • Options
    Hi

My early contractions were just like bad period pains. I ached in my pelvis, down my thighs and my back, all the places normally effected when Aunt Flo visits!

Hope this helps x
  • Options
    I have been getting aches down my inner thigh, but I've been having really bad aching hips at night, so thought it may be connected to that.

I'm in to see the midwife this afternoon, so see what she says.
  • Options
    My early contractions felt like bad period pain or trapped wind that would last about 20secs then go. I didnt realise that i was having contractions until they were 7mins apart.. x
  • Options
    Everyone is different but i had a dull low backache for 2 days before they got stronger and turned into contractions. Said to oh its gona happen soon!! Most women just know x x
  • Options
    hi. i had my 5th baby 22 weeks ago and all of my labours have been totally different. but with my first i had low back ache for 2 days before my waters broke at 4 days past his due date. it is very different for most women but i think that most women can say that they have had low back ache in unknown early labour. xxx
  • Options
    I'm a bit worried about this too as was talking to my mum today and she didn't have a clue she was in labour with my brother! She went in to be induced on her due date as he was a large baby and they didn't want her to go over, and was told she was already 5cm dilated!! She said all she had was back pain and nothing that she would call regular contractions.
    I really hope I get something more obvious as we have a 40 minute drive to the hospital! =/ x
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'm 40+1 today, and since last night I've been having mild period like pains. So not sure if it's the beginnings of labour, or just an upset stomach as getting a cold image

Fingers crossed I won't be too long.
  • Options
    No help here soz all my labours have been back labours so i've had most of my pain in my back, i'm sure from what i've anyway that contractions start at the top of your uterus and radiate down (could be wrong though, i got pains in my lower back mostly. Think baby is probebly useing your bladder as a pillow.
  • Options
    Hi morgwick
    sounds like the beginning of labour to me, how are you feeling now?

oops shold have read all meassages before posting, sounds like things could be starting for you.
  • Options
    Hi I'm 33+5 and have been having period like pains and stabbing pains at the top of my uterus and lower back lasting about 20-30 seconds and coming every 30-20 minutes. Could this be the start of labour, as this is my first and heard lots of different things.

Thanks

Tamika
  • Options

Hi ya, I'm 40+3 today and had 2 hours of contractions 4.30mins apart the other night and this am one massive back pain that subsided once rubbed for a while.......lots of other bits ie cramps thigh pains, baby burrowing, light nausea but no true labour.......baby is moving alot today - whats going on??????

• Options

Im 38 weeks and 3 days i dont know if im having contractions i just know that i have mild bach pains and shooting pains in my private area . and a few pain in my tummy .

• Options

Each labour/birth is different & contractions can be felt in a number of ways.

You can get shooting pains which usually start from your lower back & progress across your bump & down into your thighs.  You can also get dull period like pain which grows in intensity as labour progresses.

Generally to be considered in 'established' labour contractions should be 'intense' coming every 3-5mins & lasting a good 90secs (your bump will go hard & you may even see it change shape with each new contraction) leaving you feeling short on breath.  Hope this helps, best wishes to you all.

• Options

Hi i havent been feeling contractions but i have a constant dull ache between my thighs it hurts to get up and hurts to walk and forgte about rolling over in bed! I wasnt dialted last week but then gain i wasnt feeling all this pain this week could she be coming soon?

• Options

I've been awake all night with cramping in my stomach as if bad period pains mixed with tummy bug pains. These were accompanied by lower back twinges, I've had hardly no sleep and I'm still getting these pains. Thing is I've a severe existing medical problems and I'm still on some meds to relieve the pain, and I was just wondering if this is the start of labour as my daughter (15yr ago) was born very quick without the stages of labour part of delivery. Plz someone help 

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.

• Options

Hi im only 25weeks and ive been getting pains in the bottom of my bump and my bump keeps going really solid and sore I also get out of breath a little because of the pain, should I be worried? 

• Options

Hi I'm 30+4 and for the past 2-3 days I've been experiencing lower back pains, lower stomach pains and really bad leg cramps in the bottoms of my legs (period like pains) I've also been getting an increase in my heart rate and shortness of breath is this any signs of early labour? Or what could it mean?