Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

C-sections choice

Has anyone chosen to have a cesaerean? I had a natural water birth last time but considering a c-section for my next so i dont have to go through it again. Are you even allowed to choose even though you hasd no complications?? x

Replies

• Options
    I had emergency section with baby no1 and didnt get to choose section for no 2. Ended up needing a section. I was allowed elective section for no 3 due to 2 previous sections. CHoose wisely - it is not an easy option and is major surgery and comes with many risks. ALso think about how you will cope afterwards too - no driving, lack of mobility, pain etc with a new baby and a toddler. Get all the info you can before you make your choice. Hope you get the birth you want.
    xxxx
  • Options
    The only advice I can give is to watch this video of a c-section. That way you'll know exactly what will happen to you of you decide to have one. I had a natural birth before this pregnancy and was in the same position as you - after seeing this vid, it changed my mind.
    I don't think you are able to 'choose' a section on the nhs unless there are complications during labour. If you definitely want to have on then it will cost at least ??4000 to go private.
    Let us know what you think of the video.
    Love and hugs xxx
  • Options
    I'm sorry I forgot to post the link to the video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pky9DHxH0uo
  • Options
    I had a section cos I had to but the recovery was hard work and I hated not being able to drive for at least 4 weeks! Definately not an easy option unfortunately!! I've just watched that video though out of curiosity and found it amazing!
  • Options
    Just watched the video as I had c section last time and will probably have one again and found it really interesting was amazed at how much your tugged and pulled about thank you for posting the link xx x

• Options
    You're welcome!!

I thought that having a c-section would be an 'easy' way out of giving birth. But before I could decide - I needed to know exactly what would be happening to my body and no amount of explaining from a surgeon would help.

But of course if you have no choice in the matter then I would go ahead and have one if I needed one to save the baby's or my life!
  • Options
    Thank you for your advice, I looked at the video and it does put me off a bit. And if the nhs dont do it unless there are complications then Im not willing to pay ??4000 for one. I suppose I've done it before so i'll do it again. I'm not pg yet so a long time to think about childbirth! x

http://b2.lilypie.com/tFgY0/.png

• Options
    I opted for a section as had SPD and couldn't part knees enough to deliver naturally. I thought I would have a really big fight on my hands but the consultant and a physio told me about maternal rights and you do have a right to request a section if you really want one. I wasn't aware of this so I went into consultation ready to give the consultant what for if he refused as I was on crutches and couldn't drive etc and when I said I wanted a sectino he jsut said. OK, we'll do it after 38 weeks. Because of the pain I was in before birth I didn't suffer with much pain post birth and my scar healed nice. The only thing that P'd me off was not driving for 4 weeks and I still can't ride my horse yet either!!! But I don't think sections are as bad as so many people make out. Gem.xx