Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Mothers and daughters

Hello,

sorry I really didn't know what to put as a subject. My questions is this though do you think your pregnancy and more importantly labour has been similar to your own mothers??

I ask mainly cos my mum was lucky enough to have pretty quick labours. I'm the oldest and neither of my sister have kids and I'm kinda hoping I get quick ones to just like my mum!

this is my 1st are there already similarities between our pregnancies. xx

Replies

• Options
    hi, i'm lucky that my labours haven't been like my mums. as she had awful labours and really traumatic births. all 5 of my labour and births have been good and no real problems. so i'm glad. i think it's a wife tale that you will labour like your mum, as every one is different and labour can be very unpredictable anyway. xx
  • Options
    I think it could well be true. My mum had a failed induction followed by an emergency c-section, as did I. They thought I was 2 big for her to deliver (I was 8lb 5 but she is really small.) I never engaged in the pelvis which is why they thought that. With my sister they advised an elective cs as they thought my sister was very big on the scan (she was 7lb 12. But did have a large head circ.). Plus back then if you'd had a c-sec with your first they usually advised one with the following children.
    Anyway my lo never engaged in the pelvis either, and he was a big boy (9lb 1), after many long hours in labour they decided to do a section as I'd spent about 24 hours at only 3cm dilated, suddenly dilated to 7cm, then stopped and didnt dilate again for 5 hours! Anyway I was born in the same hospital as I had LO in, and the same operating theatre my lo was delivered in - I was too! LOL! Also...when my mum came to visit me in hospital, the side room I had (all the section women have own room not ward), was EXACTLY the same room my mum stayed in after I was born. How strange! I still cant believe it.
  • Options
    OMG tiger lily that really is amazing how similar your births were!!
    Well I'm gonna keep hoping it is true. Even though my mum went over with me at least once it started it was quick. xx
  • Options
    Not true for me im afraid...my labour was 19 hrs and with me my mum was in labour for 7 hrs and my sister for 4 hrs...I would have loved that! x
  • Options
    Could be true my mum had quick labours with the five of us and my older sister and i have both had the same experience giving birth. When my mum had her second she gave birth 20 mins after the midwife got to the house and with my second i gave birth before the midwife arrived with my poor husband having to deliver him while taking instructions from the ambulance service operator on the phone. Although we all wish for fast labours my second was a little too quick and i went into serious shock about an hour after he arrived. Good luck xxx
  • Options
    I know it's freaky isn't it! My poor sister, she might as well ask for an elective section lol x
  • Options
    Yes! My mum had me not long after arriving at the hosp, as did I with my third (all 3 have been quick as far as labours go!). And what's freaky is that my mum had me at 10.50am and I had my daughter at 10.49am! And at the same hospital. That's the first thing I thought after cuddling my lo and being glad she was here safe and well, that she was born the same time as me! And was in a hurry just like me!
    She had my older brother quickly too, but luckily, I didn't have to have forceps to deliver my boys!
  • Options
    my mum had 5 natural birhs all not to long! i dont no about 5!!! but i think it would be nice to take after mum in the other sense!
  • Options
    I so hope this isnt true as my mum was in labour with my brother for 48 hours and i really dont fancy having to go through that. It was 6 hours when she had me so i wouldnt mind that but 2 days is too long.
  • Options
    Could be true to a point- my mum did have a different experience to me in that she was induced due to high blood pressure but I wasn't, but we did both have epidurals with our first babies and managed to be able to push well despite this. She managed to just avoid a forceps delivery, while I was totally numbed up as I was prepped for what was v nearly a c-section after a long labour, but I was able to push enough when they told me to to deliver my son by ventouse then forceps. They told me I had a good push and if not I'd have def had to have the c-section, so I guess I inherited it from my Mum!
  • Options

i realy hope my labour isnt like any of my mums, she had a very painful labour with my brother 18hrs, an extreamly painful one with me 16hrs, she was lucky with my younger sister though she didnt have time to have gas and air 45mins not 2 painfull either i hope my laboours like her last one but not like me or my older brother!!! good luck xximage