Forum home› Pregnancy› Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

c section details......:???

:\? i was reading on the internet that you will have to have injections and a cafater can ayone tell me how many injections it is and any information on the other bits lol thankyou. hart. x.

Replies

• Options
    hi hart...i had an emergency c-sec and had to have an epidural...but apart from that dont think there was any other injections...cant remember was too high on gas and air. The catheter feels weird going in but u can hardly even notice its there becuz ur numb from the epidural
  • Options
    Hiya Hart I just had the epidural needle and didnt even know I had a catheter in till the nurse told me afterwards x x x
  • Options
    Hi ,
    Had an elective due to breech position.
    They put a cannula in your hand so they can give you fluid or any medication needed! If you are scared of needles they can give you cream beforehand to numb the area!
    The spinal or epidural is a needle but not anywhere near as bad as I thought.
    As for the catheter you won't know about it as they put in in when you are numb. Plus you need it afterwards as you can't get up for about 12 hours and it doesn't hurt coming out I promise!
    Enjoy the experience I promise its not that bad! Plus you get the best thing in the world at the end of it!!

xx
  • Options
    Hiya, I had an elective section and am petrified of needles but t the time i hardly noticed any of them!! I was so high on th adrenalin and excitement of having my baby that I didnt care! But like you, as the section was planned I spent weeks and weeks before-hand scaring myself silly about it!! Try to relax and just think of meeting your gorgeous newborn, nothing else will matter, trust me. xx
  • Options
    hi, i had an emergency sec under general, and the needles that I had were, two cannulas in the back of my hands ( they normally give u one). Had a catheter put in (which didnt feel too bad) and when I was on post natal ward all of us who had sections were given blood thinning injections ( 1 a day)
  • Options
    hi,

The cannula (plastic tube) that they put in the back of your hand requires a needle to put it in. I found that this needle hurt so would advise you to ask for a cream to numb the skin of the hand first.

The injection into your back (epidural) does not hurt so don't worry about it. They tell you to lie on your side with your body curled up and you have to keep still. It helps if you have someone you can hold hands with, and if that person keeps you distracted.

The "catheter" is a plastic tube that helps you to wee whilst lying down. I was very embarrassed when they put this in but then I thought they do this every day and have seen it all before. They put the catheter in when the epidural is working - so you're numb and won't feel it. You need this because your legs are weak or numb and you can't or shouldn't get out of bed for about 12 hours afterwards.

I absolutely hate needles so wanted them to warn me every time before they put one it. I then screwed up my face and squeezed my oh's hand very tight. He ended up with bruises!

Good luck. Hope all goes well. It's scary but wonderful at the same time.
    xx
  • Options
    Hello.. i had an emergency c section.... and they put a needle in the top of my left hand for the drip!.. the only other needle is for the epidural. you dont even feel the cafater.
    if your having an elective c section... you'll be absolutely fine. xx
    when is it booked in for?
  • Options
    Hi. I had an emergency CS 14 weeks ago and to be honest it really wasnt a problem. The epidural went in really easily - no pain! Definitely recommend having the gas and air as it goes in just as a precaution. The only other needle was obviously a line that goes into hand prior to op and afterwards I had some anti clotting drugs into tummy each day for four days (prob due to my age!). Didnt feel catheter go in either. Really wasnt a problem at all.
  • Options
    I never had a C-Section but I had an epiduiral and a catheter due to my baby being born my forceps a cut and a 3rd degree tear. I must admit I did feel the epidural needle go in but it wasn't that bad at all. As for the catheter I didn't even know I had one until I got back to the ward and my husband told me. Even when the midwife took the cathater out I didn't feel it so I wouldn't worry if I were you it'll be fine
    xxxx
  • Options
    Hmmm, I definately felt the catheter coming out, and every time someone knocked the bag! I had a spinal and two cannulas, all under local anaesthetic, so didn't hurt, but could feel it. Have had backache on and off ever since baby was born nearly 8 weeks ago!