Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What kinds of contractions are there? - information i found

Braxton Hicks contractions. You can have these from the twentieth week on. Part of your uterus tightens. This happens most often after orgasm or when you are hungry, thirsty, or very tired.

Pre-labor contractions. These usually begin in the days or weeks before the birth. They are more intense than Braxton Hicks contractions and they may soften and thin the cervix, and even start the dilation process, but they are not progressive, that is, they do not get harder and closer together. Pre-labor contractions may occur at regular intervals but they remain the same and last up to 30 seconds.

Labor contractions. These ensure that your uterus dilates, i.e. opens up for the baby. Now your birth journey has really begun! Over the hours of your labor, true labor contractions normally increase in strength or intensity, get longer in duration, and closer together in time. A contraction is often compared to a wave: it comes on, swells, reaches a crest and then tapers off.

Pushing contractions. These are the contractions that feel like having an enormous bowel movement. They bring your baby down through the pelvis and out the birth canal.

;\) might be of some use?!?! :\)

Replies

• Options
    Definitely very useful - thanks for posting this!

I'm somewhere between Braxton Hicks and pre-labour contractions at the mo - so lets hope its the start of something considering I'm due a week today!
  • Options
    I religiously search as soon as i get different niggles and am too experiencing the mixture! 8 days to go!
  • Options
    I keep getting a strong pushing down feeling, not sure what that is but I am guessing it is lo moving around since his head is so low now.
    Really weird not knowing exactly what it is we are feeling. Back to bouncing on my ball to try and encourage him along anyway!! lol! xx
  • Options
    i've def been having pre-labour contractions since my 'show'11 days ago!
    Having contractions right now which feel very different-its going all round my back aswel!!!! might be in labour this time-can hope anyway
    Samantha 37+3