Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Nervous about being Induced :\(

Hi all,

I had a sweep on Monday and since then had continuous brownish discharge (sorry for TMI). While I was there I was booked into having an induction on Friday (meaning I have to call up Thursday night and go in then if they have a bed). So since Monday I've been trying to coax labour on but it's just not working and I'm really worried about being induced, mainly because of the thought of possibly having to stay in hospital for a few days. I was admitted in about a month ago and diagnosed with Ante-natal depression but due to some emergencies I was left on my own, in my own room, unable to leave the ward, talk to anyone (unless my OH was able to visit), and for what I thought would take a few hours I was in for 28 hours. It was the first time I'd ever spent in hospital and hated it... it actually made me feel more anxious and nervous - not what you need when you have AND.

I had booked in with a birthing unit (about an hours drive away from me) because the care after birth sounded fantastic compared to the care given in an already over-stretched hospital, and due to that care it was be really good for me due to the AND and i wouldn't feel rushed and I would have been more guarenteed a water birth. But, now I'm 41+2 and the threat of being induced is learing I'm getting more and more nervous, everyone around me has had their babies (most of them early) and I haven't even had a false labour. It's just made me feel really down and scared and the thought of not being in my own home with my OH for even a night upsets me.

Is anyone else in the same position? Is there anything I can do? :\?

Replies

• Options
    i went to 41+6 with my l/o and was induced. i know how your feeling as you get ready for a certain date and then it comes and goes and everyone else has had their l/os.
    being induced is fine - the nurses and docs know what their doing so you just have to trust in them. i wasnt like this though and got myself so worked up and anxious and it didnt help.
    so my advice would be to just relax and let things take their course. and youve stil got a few days left to see if it happens naturally, eat a hot curry and play some wii or go for a jogimage
    good luck with it all xx
    oh btw, my l/o is now 8 months and doing well image
  • Options
    I've just booked a 2nd sweep for tomorrow morning in the hope that'll get things going before the need to be induced.

Fingers crossed! x
  • Options
    Hi Ginger-Pixie

Really hope the sweep works for you tomorrow

You can always refuse to be induced. It is a little worrying when you are post dates as they start to tell you stories about the placenta detoriating etc etc however in some western countries they don't induce until 43 weeks. There are new guidelines for the NHS which are currently under consultation based on new research which shows that fetal death due to prolonged pregnancy is lower than previously thought. Under the new guidelines they can offer induction from 41 to 42 weeks but it is not considered 'necessary' until 42 weeks. if you refuse to be induced at 42 weeks they can monitor you to keep a check that the baby is still doing well (i.e everyday) however it is likely the birthing unit wont accept you after 42 weeks but you should speak to them about it.

Here are the new NICE guidelines that aren't yet implemented.

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/IOLUpdateConsFullGuideline.pdf

I have also put a link for the homebirth website below. I know you aren't having a homebirth but if you click on the 'you can't have a homebirth because...' link on the side of the page there is a specific section for people who are overdue which does give some information and links that you might find interesting including have your waters broken at home (may take a bit of a fight with your midwife that one).

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/

If I was you I would probably try to get the induction delayed until the last possible time the birthing unit will accept you (probably 42 weeks??)

I was induced with my first. Although it is unlikely I will agree to having it done again, I can say I didn't find it too bad and was not quite like the horror stories you hear. My advice is if you go for the induction walk and eat as much as you can until things get going. My labour was only 1hr 40mins, and although a bit hairy at times, it was a natural labour in the end. The most important thing is a happy and healthy baby.

[Modified by: Bec & Emi on October 22, 2008 04:21 PM]

[Modified by: Bec & Emi on October 22, 2008 04:23 PM]

• Options
    Hi Bec,

Thank you for the links! I've had a quick read over some of the articles on the homebirth site and it's really very interesting! I'm going to discuss putting off the induction with my OH when he gets back from work due to having another sweep tomorrow and will also discuss it with the midwife tomorrow and see if I can have a date early next week as a compromise to give the 2nd sweep time to take effect.

Thanks again!

xx
  • Options
    Just wanted to say good luck ginger-pixie!!
    Really hope things start naturally for you after the 2nd sweep- brown discharge sounds promising?
    I'm sure you've tried everything but personally a long brisk walk did it for me.
    Don't forget to write on your notes that you are anxious about being in hosp so the MW's can see to give you a bit of extra support. No-one enjoys being in hosp but if it is a real concern for you could you ask to be transferred back to the birth center straight after delivery (or home?)
    Just keep thinking it won't be forever and what a reward you'll be getting for being brave xxx
  • Options
    Hi Ginger-pixie

hope things went well today and I hope that sweep starts you off.