Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

ECV: anyone had a good experience with this?

Hi ladies

Went to see midwife yesterday and she thinks that baby is breech (again) and has made an appointment for me at the hospital antenatal clinic on Wednesday (I will be 37+3 then). They will do a scan and obviously look at which way up baby is. If he is breech she started talking about ECV. I know what it is and what it involves, but have only read really not good things about it, e.g. only works 60% of the time, it can cause fetal distress and that it hurts, etc. At the moment, I really don't want to have this procedure done and will probably say no if they ask. I just wondered if I'm only getting one side of it though. So, has anyone had a good experience with this??

Floopy
36+5

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    I know 2 people who have had an ECV. It worked for 1 of them, who went into labour naturally but she had a REALLY long labour and it didn't work for the other person, who had a c section. They said it was quite uncomfortable.
    Hope this helps
  • Options
    Hi Lu

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm going to stick to my guns and say no if they offer it then (mw did say that not all consultants will do it). I don't really want to have a caesarean, but if that's the way it has to be then so be it...

Floopy
    36+6
  • Options
    Hi - I havent had an ECV but I have heard that the baby often just turns back breech anyway. And seeing as it can cause fetal distress & be painful it doesn't sound worth the risk. Don't despair tho cos soooo many babies turn naturally. My oh's mother was going to have a section until her baby turned at 39 weeks. Some babies just take their time! Even if you do need a section though, remember it might not be ideal but its the safest way of having a breech baby. xxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/Akv50/.png

• Options
    Hi Tiger Lily

You make some really good points. I just feel that he's so big now and that there really isn't a lot of room for him to turn if he is breech, bless him. You're right about the caesarean. Think I've decided in my mind that if that's what has to happen, then that's what will happen and it will be best for lo. Just anxious really about it all. I'll probably get there on Weds morning and he'll be head down and ready to go lol - fingers crossed anyway. I'll let you all know how I get on...

Floopy
    37+1
  • Options
    Just to say.. my lo turned at 38weeks. Best wishes. x x
  • Options
    Hi ladies

Thought I'd let you all know how I got on. Went to the hospital this morning and saw a very nice consultant. He had a feel of my bump and said that he could understand why my mw wasn't 100% sure which way the baby was laying. He did a scan and he's head down and ready to go - hooray!!! I'm so relieved, though a little bit scared after seeing the size of his head and thinking about how I'm going to get that out lol... So, hopefully no more worries about caesareans (unless it still ends up like that of course).

Thanks for all your advice.

Floopy
    37+3