Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My Birth Story...the arrival of Hugh!

Hugh's due date was Wednesday 26th November 2008.

On Monday 24th November (08:30) I woke up with mild period like pains. I had already arranged for my hubby to drop our LO off at Grandma's for the day so I could get the house sorted so I said goodbye to our LO but the house sorting was not to be!
As I thought this was the start of labour I went back to bed to relax & listen to my Hypnobirthing CD...then at 10:19 I took some paracetemol then I went for a bath at 11:15 & my contractions then were about every 6 mins...I enjoyed a lovely long bath getting out at 13:45 & started to pluck my eyebrows, apply moisturiser, comb my hair etc all between contractions whilst my hubby got my TENS machine out ready to put on. I still found the contractions to be quite mild whilst putting on the TENS machine & the coldness of the sticky pads made me jump more! lol! I then took some more paracetemol & stayed in our bedroom listening to my hynobirthing CD whilst sat bouncing on my gym ball. My waters broke & I ran to the bathroom but at the time I needed to wee & thought I'd just wet myself image it was about 16:00 & I called my hubby to get me a change of clothes & to carry on tracking the contractions & he said they are nearly 2 mins apart only don't you think we should call the hospital? So we went back to our bedroom & whilst I was on the phone to the labour ward (16:16) another contraction came, I flung the phone on the bed & my waters broke again, hubby legged it for a towel, then got the phone & they said to come straight in...I got dressed (still half naked from the waters breaking the first time!) & we got in the car at about 16:30...hubby was driving slowly down a bumpy road & I shouted at him to put his foot down & we got to the hospital at 16:42 - by now I was ramping the TENS machine on it's final stage...I walked over between strong contractions & slowly made my way to the delivery room where I remember a midwife saying 'they are very strong & long contractions'...I made my way straight to the radiator & a trolley & held on whilst I had another strong contraction then as my midwife came in I said the ever immortal words 'I NEED TO POO!' & did a huge groan, the midwife said to get me on the bed & get my bottoms off but whilst doing this I dropped my TENS machine & knocked the battery pack out & nearly flipped for the few seconds it wasn't working whilst hubby fixed it! I was given G&A & kept feeling 'the need to poo' & apparently the bb's head could been seen as soon as they took my bottoms off! image After about 5 big pushes my bb was born & the time was 17:07...so I nearly had a homebirth! I then was able to turn around & say hello to my midwife whose face I hadn't even seen until then! image
They tried to naturally deliver the placenta but after an hour I had the injection as nothing had happened. They checked me for tears & I had two small ones either side that needed a few stitches. I then had tea & toast & then said goodbye to a very tired hubby (he'd been up for 24 hours by then as he'd come home from a nightshift that morning!) & I had a bath & walked to the maternity ward.
This was all so different from my first birth that ended with a failed epidural, an episiotomy & foreceps delivery & me being transported on a bed to the maternity ward & having to be changed by the midwifes...this time I was able to go & make myself a brew & sit in the day room watching 'I'm a celeb...' before going to bed! :lol:
I am so proud of myself & had the biggest, stupidest grin on my face - so if you have had a horrible first time be assured that it can be better second time around (although I did alot more planning this time to ensure it! ;\) )

So I am now a proud mummy to Rawdon (17mths) & bb no.2 Hugh!
Frankie
xxx

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll196/frags_jones/HughAlbert241108001.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll196/frags_jones/Hugh002.jpg

[Modified by: frags_jones on 27 November 2008 19:15:49 ]

Replies

• Options
    Pic of Hugh close up!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll196/frags_jones/Hugh002.jpg

• Options
    What a truly impressive and inspiring birth story! Well done you - I really, really hope I can be as calm and collected as you were. I also hope I can look as good in my post-birth photos!

And WHAT a beautiful bubba to show for it all image

39+1
  • Options
    i hope my next birth goes like yours, it sounds lovely! a huge congratulations to both you and your oh xxx
  • Options
    well done and congratulations !! i have 2 weeks to go now as we are being induced on 15th dec so i have no idea what to expect as its our first. i just hope i can keep my cool and not leave my partner with too many bruises~!!!
  • Options
    wow you look positively glowing in the pic! well done you!!!
  • Options
    Wow, thats's an amazing birth story, and little Hugh is gorgeous - congratulations! image I hope my second birth goes well too, as I had a tricky first one - thanks for the inspiration! xx

33+2
  • Options
    wel done and congrats i hope if i decide to have another it goes like yours even tho i have to go to a big main hospital. my 1st and only labour was horrible and painful. but im sure there is worse out there so im not complaining.
  • Options
    Lovely story and OMG dont you look good post birth!!
  • Options
    What a beautiful boy, and you look amazing considering you'd just given birth! image I have to say, I'm ttc at the moment and already was quite scared of giving birth because some of my friends have told me real horror stories. For now, you have very much calmed my fears, so thank you and CONGRATS!! xx
  • Options
    congrats n u look amazing had my 2nd 10wks ago at home not dat i planned 2 n d 1st at d hosp so i agree wit u dat even if u had a terrible experienc wit d 1st d 2nd could be totally amazin yeah