Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Positions during labour

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can recommend positions to use during labour. My antenatal classes are not that great and we've basically been shown a couple of positions for the first stage of labour and for the pushing stage just one, basically lying on the bed with a couple of pillows, which doesn't really seem logical to me (but what do I know)!
If anyone has had good experiences using certain positions I would love to know. i thought squatting with my partner supporting me from behind would be good but worried I won't be strong enough to stay in that position for long.Help!

Replies

• Options
    i had my lo at home and found being as upright as i could helped, and all 4s for pushing stage.
    i spent lots of time kneeling by the bed armwrestling my bf helped take the edge off a little.
    i tried squatting but was too tired by the end and my bed just looked tooooo comfy. xx
  • Options
    hi i found keeping active in the first stage then being upright for the second stage i tried squatting but was too tired plus i was really shaky so i found kneeling up holding on to the back of the bed.
  • Options
    I found that lying on your side or on your hands and knees in a pool is very relaxing it helps take any pressure off if you have the pains in your back
  • Options
    anyone due 5th aug?
  • Options
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend positions to use during labour. My antenatal classes are not that great and we've basically been shown a couple of positions for the first stage of labour and for the pushing stage just one, basically lying on the bed with a couple of pillows, which doesn't really seem logical to me (but what do I know)!
    If anyone has had good experiences using certain positions I would love to know. i thought squatting with my partner supporting me from behind would be good but worried I won't be strong enough to stay in that position for long.Help!
  • Options
    I had my 1st 4 lying on the bed but with my 5th i was on all fours on the bed leaning over the head of the (hospital) bed but then i have quick labours otherwise this might be tiring for some people. I think its best to try different positions for different stages of labour and keep active and upright. I also used a birth ball this time which was great too. Just give anything a go to see what suits you. good luck x
  • Options
    Don't worry about positions too much as they just come so naturally! I wanted to walk around but spent the first half of the first stage on my knees with my arms resting on a birth ball. Squating is much easier in a birth pool with the water supporting you but I found it speeded things up too much for me. Good luck!
  • Options
    I think im having a home birth, But i never thought of positions, lol. Something else 2 think about now, I also need 2 decide were im having my little 1 up & down stairs, So many decisions lol
  • Options
    i wanted to be upright at first wen i was writing birth plan but i foung lying on my side easy!
  • Options
    Hi, thank you all for your replies. Sounds like upright and as mobile as poss is best. Although I'll probably end up lying down begging for that epidural..lol!
    So good to hear from those who have done it, and good luck gemlou with your homebirth.xx