Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

natal hypnotherapy

hi everyone has anyone looked in to hypnotherapy during labour
i have been told it can reduce the length of labour and reduce the need for pain killers. also reduce the chance of intervention. Dont really know how id go about it tho.

Replies

• Options
    Have bought a couple of cd's off web and they're really calming and send me to sleep every time I listen to them. They're supposed to put phrases/pics in your mind which you recall during labour to calm you, focus on breathing and make birth a more positive experience. Have listened to mine quite a bit and always feel really calm and happy afterwards so they must be doing some good.
  • Options
    I used a hypnotherapy cd for the homebirth of my 2nd son coupled with birthing pool. I bought the cd a week before my due date on impulse at a baby show and thought i was being extravagant/conned/mumbo jumbo rubbish. It was the BEST thing I ever bought! Although I only listened to it a few times before I gave birth it REALLY helped. I tore with my first birth and the CD really helped me focus during my most needy times during my second...NO STICHES! I am due to have 3rd baby in 10 days or so and have been listening to my CD each evening whilst wallowing in warm suspended bliss in birth pool in living room!
  • Options

Post withdrawn by MFM HQ at poster’s request

• Options
    hi thanks for the advicei took the plunge have bought the cd's on prep for labour and relaxation reading it, it makes a lot of sense. lots of stuff about fear of pain making it worse and how your body is made for this purpose its grown the baby its perfectly capable of doing the rest of it to i'll let you know how i get on.

[Modified by: SarahDee on February 20, 2007 10:00 PM]
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am interested in a hypno-birth. Please can you advise the name of the CD's you are all using so I can search for them online?!

Thanks!
    Becki (9 weeks to go!)
  • Options
    www.natalhypnotherapy.com they were about ??16 I think & came in a couple of days.
  • Options
    Have been on website for you hun, you can contact them on 01428 712615, don't know if they'll take phone orders. Since you're in Leeds I looked up their retail outlets & it listed Baby Direct in Horsforth, Leeds on 0113 225 0505 so they might be able to get them for you - Good luck x x x
  • Options
    I had my first baby at home using hypnobirthing method. It is actually very scientific as it allows your body to release the right hormones to help labour progress without causing much pain. I had a 3 hours labour and although I could have gas & air and pethdine at home, I didn't actually need pain relief. I also found this book very useful in explaining why people expected labour to be painful and what aggravates pain. The book title is HypnoBirthing???? - The Mongan Method.
  • Options
    Can only tell you that I had a cd (see above posts) as I've used hypno-cds in past to help with sleeping when mega-stressed. Listened to birthing cd a few times before labour and found it really calming and positive. When I was in labour I listened to it a few times whilst on birthing ball, cuddling up with hot water bottle in bed and felt really in control of the pain and as if each contraction was productive. Last time I went to hospital to find I was only 2cm and had a 13 hour labour with ventouse & forceps, lots of stitches and a rough time overall. This time I was 5 cm by the time I got to hospital, and ds was born with no intervention 2 1/2 hours later and the whole experience was lovely by comparison. It was my 2nd so some of it might be down to experience but I'm convinced the hypnotherapy worked for me, so wwould advise you to give it a go. (I didn't go to any classes, just listened to cd at home) Good luck