Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Maternity pads

This may be a silly question but is there a difference between maternity pads and sanitary towels? I was buying stuff for my hosp bag yesterday and wasnt sure what to get. x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Ya,

Maternity pads tend to be a bit more uncomfortable and thick rather that sanitary pads which are more comfy and have wings and stuff!!

• Options
    It sounds like maternity pads are like old fashioned sanitary pads then... like before they were 'invisible'? Whats everyone here gonna do? I'm thinking of just going with heavy flow sanitary pads then.
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev294pr___.png

• Options
    I have gone for the maternity pads as have heard that these are more comfy particularly if you've had stitches but boots do 2 types so think i'm gonna go for the big ones to begin with and then change to the thinner ones once things have settled down a bit.

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev254pf___.png

• Options
    Hi, I saw the programme too that said thin ones aren't best something to do with the plastic backing being closer to you and can be bad for you if you have had stiches. I bought a pack of Mothercare maternity pads and Always Maxi (You should get an ASDA voucher in your Bounty pack for them - well I did anyway!). The big chunky ones are more comfy if you have had stitches as I did and take plenty of old cotton knickers with you so you can bin them if necessary. Also, they are not just for afterwards - have some ready for when you are in labour incase you have alot of discharge/mucus. Good luck x:\)
  • Options
    Yeah the thick ugly ones are best at first as they are more comfy when you are sore, and they are more breathable - normal sanitary pads have plastic backing which creates moisture and increases the risk of stitches not healing and infection.
  • Options
    hi i use kotex night time pads. they are really thick and reassuring . especially if you bleed alot like i do after child birth. i have to wear 2 at a time the first 24 hours after having my babies. then i go to always night time maxi. xx
  • Options
    Whatever you do, don't get any pads with a dry-weave cover. If you have stitches, the stitches will get caught in them. I learned this the hard way a few days after my baby was born. I bought Boots maternity pads and they were fine. I only had heavy bleeding for a few days, then switched to regular pads. But like I said, dry weave is not your friend if you have stitches.
  • Options
    hi
    I used Tesco, boots and mothercare maternity the tesco ones pink packet were the best they were nice and long and really soft and only 99p a packet i would really reccommend them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips people... i really didnt have a clue what to get. x x
  • Options
    i used kotex night towels for 1st 2 days then used always night towels as they are long and thin and very comfy
    i tried mcare mat towels but found them big and uncomfy so binned em. xx
  • Options
    Hi, I used boots maternity pads for the first 3-4 days (2 pads together for the 1st 24 hours after giving birth). Then I used always ultra night time towels as they are really long. Plenty of old/cheap knickers which i just threw away as the blood gets everywhere. Another tip is I lived in my black maternity trousers for 2 wks after giving birth as i was so afraid of leaking. xx
  • Options
    Hi

i used the boots maternity ones, i found the thicker the better as i didnt realise how much you do bleed afterwards, i also bought the cheap throw away pants which i found good, least that way if they did get messed then you could just chuck them away easily !

• Options
    i too used the Tesco ones, they were good, no problems, you need em thick, strong, long & like a brick. & get loads (more than you think you'll need) also disposable knickers, you won't want to wash the first few pairs after the birth!
  • Options

i agree with cathyg ive used other brands but allround like tescos, though i buy some cheap cotton pants as well as disposables.sorrelt

• Options

It's indeed easy to get tricked into using the regular high tech pads which come with wings and are thin and seemingly comfortable. This works for the normal standard bleeding (monthly period). From experience, this does not work well for post delivery bleeding. For post delivery, the plastic lining in the regular sanitary pads causes heating up, which can be very uncomforatble and eventually leads to pain (especially when you get stitches). Worst still, when you go along with standard cotton pants (no matter how comfy they are and how well they fit) this makes things worse. The maternity pads along with mesh pants for the first couple of weeks after delivery are the best option I finally settled with! They may not be the most comfortable pads (being big and all, especially when you're used to the thinner ones) but they do their job just fine. Maybe companies should start looking into producing more comfy versions image

• Options

I went fot the night time/heavy bleeding pads rather than the maternity ones, along with cheap black cotton knickers.

That's what I've stocked up with for this time as well!

• Options

I used maternity pads for first few days but now using night time ones I have stitches and have not been any more uncomfortable than with the maternity ones.  

• Options

I would definately use proper maternity pads and dont underestimate how many you will need.  I think i bleed heavier than most after having my 2 sons but I could honestly of used a packet a day the first few days and then gradually lighter over the next 5 weeks!  I thought it was never gonna stop.  This is one aspect of child birth that isn't talked about very much.

• Options

I have got maternity pads from Boots but I got thin ones. And just cheap black cotton knickers like babyfox xx

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.