Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hospital - Do I need to bring a baby sleepbag? Confused

Hi

I hope someone can shed some light into this for me. My midwife has been off sick for weeks and now I see a different midwife at each appointment covering.

I was advised that newborn babys should sleep in a sleepbag to avoid overheating. As I plan to stay in hospital after birth, I wondered if I should bring a sleepbag with me?

I asked the midwife on Monday and she said that I could bring a baby blanket - but only one with holes - or use the hospital blankets.

How did you handle this or did you use a sleepbag right from the start? :\?

Thanks,
Acey
EDD -21 days

Replies

• Options
    Hi Acey.

Have you had a tour of your Hospital unit yet? I think you will find most NHS hospitals do not allow you to use a baby grow bag. The temperature on the wards is quite high. Most growbags are not recommended for new borns or babies under a certain weight.

Most hospitals recommend the holey type blankets which they usually supply.

Check the small print on the sleep bag you bought.
    They are great when baby 6 weeks plus have used for all my 3 children.

Good luck with the birth.
  • Options
    hi acey... I would've thought you'd need a sleeping bag in hospital... you feel like walking around in your knickers it's that hot!! I even took daniel's blanket off him at one point because he was so hot but then got told off by the midwife! x lol You don't need a sleeping bag at all really unless you have a very active baby that moves about alot and kicks it's covers off. daniel is a very still sleeper for the first 8 months or so, so never bothered with them, just used sheets and holey blankets as normal.. xx take care xx
  • Options
    I bought a pack from mc which contained 2 flat sheets, 2 fitted cot sheets & 2 of the holey blankets that the others have mentioned. I will be taking one of these with me in the hospital bag as it really is too hot in a maternity unit to use a growbag & the holey blanket allows air to circulate around your bubs. The pack cost around 24 quid but is everything you need for a new borns bedding needs.
  • Options
    hi the sleep bags are only recomneded for babys over 7 pound in weight and there not recomnded for new borns.around 2-3 weeks is fine. the cellur blankets (holey ones) are the best to get as u can put more on if it gets cold or less on when its hot! as the others have been saying hospitals are really hot too! hope this helps!
    ruth xxxx
  • Options
    cellular thats the word, well done ruth! been driving me bonkers. image
  • Options
    Thank you all for your answers!! It really helps - I better "waddle" round to another baby shop and get myself one of those cellular blankets - sounds great!!!

First time mum - Acey
  • Options
    I find home delivery reduces ''waddle'' time!
  • Options
    hi, just been reading back at this and i put 7 pound for the weight of baby to go in sleep bags but it is 10 pounds sorry!
    ruth xxx