Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How many Hospital Bags?

Well, I've eventually done all my baby clothes/bedding washing, plus my stuff that I plan on taking into hospital. Now I just want to get packing, so I feel a bit more prepared!

I've read quite a few posts on here (which were extremely helpful), talking about what to pack in your hospital bag and was just wondering.... are you having 1 big bag with EVERYTHING in, or are you perhaps having 2 bags - 1 for the labour & the other with everything else in that you would need afterwards?

I'm interested to see what everyone's planning on doing & if anyone's having 2 bags, any suggestions on what should be in either of the bags would be great!

... I'm thinking of having 2, so the main bag (for afterwards) can live in the car boot until it's needed.

For the labour bag, do you think I'd just need things like: Hand-held notes, tens machine, nightie for the labour & another for after, slippers, knickers + some maternity pads, bra + pads, water spray, hand-held fan, food & drink, mobile phone, money, 1st set of clothes for baby + a hat and some nappies?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Anna
35+4

Replies

• Options
    I had a little wheely case and an overnight bga, purely because I had nothing bigger to fit all the stuff in!

Labour bag
    Hand-held notes
    nighties (3)
    vest top for pool
    slippers(didn't use, wore flipflops to the hospital) water spray
    food & drink
    mobile phone
    money
    book
    camera and batteries
    i big and 1 small towel

Other bag
    2 sets of baby clothes
    nappies
    cotton wool
    dressing gown (didn't use)
    tracky bums
    loads of knickers
    bras breast pads
    maternity pads
    Wash bag with sponge, shower gel, 2 in 1 shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste
    Spare top and pants for OH

Sure I'm missing loads!!! x
  • Options
    I'm putting everything in one smallish suitcase with a view to having all the things i'll need in labour on the top and the rest underneath it! x
  • Options
    im the same as nikkinoos , i too am puttting mine in a suitcase .. but i wouldnt so much say a small one .. in the end its better having too much , than less ?
  • Options
    G/C
    When I went into hospital to have my son, I had one bag with everything for me in, and another bag with everything for my son in. It was much easier than digging around in one big one image
  • Options
    i took a wheely handluggage size suitcase and had everything in there, was enough for 1-2 nights

me-
    3 open front nighties
    thin dressing gown
    slippers and socks
    flip flops (for the shower)
    5 x dark knickers
    2 x nursing bras
    change of clothes (jogging bottoms and a mat top)
    5 pairs breast pads
    2 x packs maternity pads
    dark towel
    hairbrush
    hairband (to keep hair out of face in labour)
    toothbrush/ tooth paste
    mini toiletries ( trial sachets )
    bath sponge
    kandoo bum wipes
    cereal bars and lucozade for energy boosts

baby-
    4/5 sleepsuits
    5 vests
    i pk 27 nappies
    cellular blanket
    1 pair socks
    3 muslins
    cotton wool
    nappy sacks
    going home outfit

OH-
    t shirt
    undies
    phone/ address book
    change for phone and car park
    tooth brush
    camera
  • Options
    I've packed the bag for the baby, packed first outfit, going home outfit and a spare, including hat, scratch mits etc, 3 muslins, cotton wool in a sandwich bag! baby wipes, nappy sacks, changing mat, cellular blanket and sheet (in case it's really hot).
    Then...I was going to pack a little suitcase for me with everything in, labour stuff at top and clothes etc at bottom, including...
    big t-shirt or vest for labour,
    water spray
    flip flops/slippers
    dark towel
    tens machine
    maternity notes
    MP3 player/phone and charger
    book
    nice nursing nightie for after birth
    cardigan/dressing gown
    toiletries
    bit of slap (make up)
    hair brush/dryer
    clothes for going home
    massive kidney warmer pants x 5
    2 packs maternity pads
    pack breast pads
    nursing bras x 2
    kitchen sink

THEN

a bag for OH with...
    a clean pair of short and t-shirt for him
    deoderant
    undercrackers
    camera
    food
    drinks (for both of us)
    phone
    book
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.
    It really has given me something to think about, everyone seems to have their own way of doing things & perfectly valid reasons for each...so I'll have to think on it some more!
    I'm hoping to pack this weekend/early next week... so I'd better get deciding exactly how I'm going to go about it!
    Thanks again x
  • Options
    i had 2 bags as well one with everthing i needed/wanted for labour and for before i went to the ward so everything i needed for a shower clean pj's etc and babies first outfit.

The second bag had everthing i needed to stay in hospital i wont give you a list as people above have pretty much listed everything, the one thing i found useful were face wipes to freshen up as the wards get quite stuffy and my own pillow