Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Water birth- what's it like?

Hey, just wondered if anyone has had a water birth if they can tell me what it was like? I quite fancy going in the birth pool but am worried that the water might feel quite cool as it can only be body temp (I know I'm daft but I love having really warm baths and hate sitting in there when it goes cold). Also not sure about all the nasty bits floating around in there wth you!

I'd love to hear everyone's experiences as Ineed to write my birth plan soon! Also did you deliever the baby in the water or get out?

xxx

Replies

• Options
    hey lea,,im having a water birth due to spd pain and pgysio suggested!!!!!
    im also like you and love really hot baths so im also worried about temp as mw said its 37c and i dont have a thermomitor to check !!
    i think ill deliver out the pool though as you have to deliver placenta out anyway and im having the injection.
    hope you get some good ans il keep checking for info !!
    http://bd.lilypie.com/Mf5O0/.png

• Options
    Hi after 2 awful hospital forceps deliveries I finally got the home water birth that I'd always wanted and it was even more wonderful than I'd dreamt of!
    I spent 2 1/2 hours on all 4's in the pool just breathing through the contractions (didn't need any other pain relief but you can use gas and air in the pool) then turned over onto my back with hubby getting in to support me and my daughter came out face up with the next push. It was totally amazing!
    I also like hot baths and the pool has to be kept warm anyway for the baby and is heated up even more just before delivery. There will need to be a thermometer in the pool so that the midwife can keep an eye on the temp which will come with the pool.
    You also get a siv for any nasty bits but all I got was blood coloured water because I tore (probably due to 2 previous big big babies, episiotomies and the forceps).
    I wouldn't have wanted to get out of the pool to deliver and even though my daughter was still 9lbs 2oz (my smallest) she came out really easily in the water.
    I would definately recommend it and so wish I had had all 3 in the pool. My friend also had a water birth with her 1st and loved it too. xx
  • Options
    i'm hoping for a water birth for my first with just gas & air (hopefully) most likely use my oh massaging skills as well (he's getting pretty good now coz i've had a really achey back (& shoulders for some reason) so he's had quite a bit of practice!! lol along with a birthing ball, not sure whether to take my own in or use the ones at the hospital.
    But yer.. thats the way the birth & labour will go if all goes well which at the moment it is *crosses fingers* only disadvantage i can think of with hospital water birth is that they wont let my oh in with me, don't think he'd be to keen on the idea though to be honest!
    good luck with everyone elses birth's & hope you get the birth you want, I too will be checking back for more replies as to what it feels like!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;20750;42/st/20080421/dt/6/k/fc61/preg.png

• Options
    My mw said that I would have had a lovely water birth with my first baby but I had to be continuously monitored so couldn't use the pool. I like the thought of having the baby in the water as it might make tearing less likely!

Think I'll request to use a pool in my birth plan but might not get one anyway. Could always take my own paddling pool in hehe!

xxx
  • Options
    Hi
    I thought that 37C was too cold, but it is actually quite hot. I bought a thermometer for the bath so i could check. I'm suffering from period like cramps at the moment, and a bath has really helped.

Hope you get the water birth you want.
    Good luck
    xx

Charlotte
    39+3
  • Options
    i also want to be in the water but get out to deliver, i think the temp will be fine though as although i love hot baths i think they make you uncomfortable after a while. you can always get out if you find it too cool.
    i am actually really excited about the birth ( a bit naive probably) but its something that i want to experience for myself and cant wait to meet my little baby at the end of it!...i just hope the pool is free when i get there!!
    xx
  • Options
    Our hospital now has its original delivery suite, which has one birth pool and they've just opened a new birthing centre which has a couple of pools so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one will be free!

It's good to hear so many nice stories about water birth, and it's great that you can have gas and air in there too as that's all I had with my first baby (despite me begging the midwife for a caesarian cos I didn't want to push any more! Think I was a bit high from the gas!)

Hopefully we will all get the lovely water birth we want. xxx
  • Options
    im hoping so my local hospital has 12 triage rooms and one pool so ill be lucky if i get it !!!

http://bd.lilypie.com/Mf5O0/.png

• Options
    that sounds like mine, but when we went on the walk round tour the mw told us that we'd be very unlucky if we didnt get to use the pool. I think it could be because i'm going into hospital rather than a birthing centre & if baby has to be monitored all the time then i don't think you can have a water birth.
    good luck to everyone & hope you have the birth you want image

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;20750;42/st/20080421/dt/6/k/fc61/preg.png

• Options
    Hi, im also booked in for a water birth too at a local birthing centre (thats if its free). I have always fancied the idea because it seemed so much more relaxing and in a way a little bit more dignified...its as if the water covers your bits lol. Also i know quite a few people who have said it was less painful...BIG BONUS image) I only have a week to go so fingers crossed it will be here soon. I just want to get it over with now.
  • Options
    Good luck then Joanne, hope your lo decides to come soon. You'll have to let us know if you got your water birth and what it was like.

xxx