Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

SPD and labour

Hi, hope someone can give me an insight, just been diagnosed with SPD which has me in agony, especially after a day of running round after my 2 1/2 yr old and 10mnth old kids whilst being 34weeks pregnant.

What im really starting to get worried about is how SPD will effect the labour period as i didnt have it with either of my girls, it feels like im about to give birth for the first time again.

Any advice would help me loads im sure of it.

Thanks Genna 34wks

Replies

• Options
    I had very severe SPD, I was on crutches from 30 weeks and in a wheel chair by the end. I was induced 2 weeks early because of SPD and I dont want to scare you, but the birth was truly horrific. I couldnt open my legs wide enough so they grabbed them and put them in stirrups and I swear, that was the worse pain i ever felt. I actually passed out from it. I'm having an elective c-section next time due to how much it scared me and the fact that I have an oddly shaped pelvis which means my babies are always back to back and I have very long painful labours always ending in forceps.
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi

I had probably mild SPD when I was pregnant with Emilia. Mainly problems in bed, going upstairs etc. It was really bad only when i overdid it for example i went for a walk one day and then struggled to get out of the car when i got home, struggled to get upstairs to have a sleep and when i woke up I couldn't walk. If i rested the SPD wasn't too bad but if I did a lot I struggled.

I eventually saw the physiotherapist late in my pregnancy (midwife kept forgetting to send off the referal). She couldn't really do much as it was too late but told me not to have my legs put in stirrups under any circumstances.

I couldn't really feel the SPD in labour and it didn't seem to hinder me but i did have a fast labour and there wasn't much time for moving about etc. My legs did end up in stirrups due to problems with the baby's heartrate and afterwards in theatre as I needed stitches.

The following day I was still a little stiff but not too bad which surprised me. I had mild SPD symptoms for about a week after the birth.

I think it's different for everyone. I am hoping I don't get it this time as like you I will have a LO to run after so little chance of taking it easy and resting
  • Options
    Hi
    Im 24+4 and also have spd, got told by doc on wed image
    Im also worried about the birth. I saw a medium a few yrs ago who said my 1st child would be a girl and id have to have c-section due to pelvic problems! Well i am having a girl, so he did get that right! and ive got spd, so he also got that right! Scary shit lol
    My friend had spd when she has her baby last year, she wanted a c-section but they refused her so she gave birth on her hands and knees and said it was agony and if this was her 1st, she wouldnt have had anymore. She feels bad for telling me these stories now that im going through the same , but she wasnt to know lol.
    Im sure we will all get through it fine and when we see our princesses and princes it will all be worth it!
    Sharon x
    http://bd.lilypie.com/qxznp1/.png

• Options
    oh god, a c-section is my worst nightmare, i kee joking to oh that the lil man hasnt done much with stretch marks so i bet i end up with a hip-to-hip scar instead. dont know what al do if that happens, with having the girls, his mother would have to move in for a while.

tried talking to midwife about it and she said that it made an easier labour coz pelvis went wider if u have SPD. even as she said it i thought it sounded painful.

not looking forward to this at all.
  • Options
    My daughter had spd quite bad last year - she was in hospital for a spell and then on crutches. They monitored size of baby and decided to induce her 2 weeks early so she could give birth naturally before baby got too big. She was advised not to have epidural or use stirrups. I was with her for the birth and everything was fine - midwives knew she could only open her legs so far and Ruby-Rose was delivered without any problems. Gemma was back to normal almost straight away. I am due in 2 weeks and have had mild spd but not too worried having seen how bad Gemma's was and how she coped.
    Hope everyone else with spd manages ok.
    Alison 38+1 xx