Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Induction with Big Baby

Has anyone been induced with a big bubs? Had a growth scan yesterday and he is over the centiles for everything except AC and is at least 9 lbs.

I am booked in for induction Wednesday. Head is still free - well mw said free, consultant said 3/5 and he's posterior so I'm under no illusions it will be an easy birth!!

I'm told I might not deliver naturally but labour will be the test of this. They are going to start me with the prostaglandins gel. I've been told they will leave me 6 hours and if I have dilated to 3cm they will break my waters - if not they will give me another lot of gel and leave me another 6 hours...is this what normally happens? What will happen if I haven't dilated by this time??

Appreciate any comments

xxxxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/Akv50/.png

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun,
    If you haven't dilated by then, then they'll start the process again. I didn't have the gel I had a Prostin pessary but they said if it didn't work after 6 hours then they'll start it again. With the pessary they can do it 4 times in total before performing a c-section, so its probably the same xx
  • Options
    After the gel and pessary if these dont work they will just put you on a drip with a drug in that causes you to contract thats what happened to a friend of mine hun good luck Sophie 40+3 xx
    http://b2.lilypie.com/rAlX0/.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev119pp___.png

• Options
    Hi

I was booked in for an induction an 10 days overdue. Scans were showing Lo to be anywhere between 9lb 4 and 9lb 8.

I was given a pessary at 4pm, which did nothing, and another at 12pm. This also did nothing. Next morning they gave me a sweep and another pessary. This time I had contractions for the whole day until another internal exam knocked out some pessary which hadn't dissolved and the contractions stopped. I was then given no more pessaries.

The next stage was for me to be taken into the labour room. My waters were broken which started contractions. They didn't start the drip straight away, as the nurse said they would strengthen the contractions and she wanted to give my body time to get used to the weaker ones first. After about an hour I was put on the drip. This really got things going, and after an hour or two I needed an epidural. If it doesn't get you started, they will just keep upping the dosage until it does.

LO was born around 12 hours after being taken to the labour room, with the help of suction.

I think their willingness to operate will depend on the area. In my hospital they really don't like to, TBH I think LO was big enough and I struggled enough that some other places would've taken me for a caesarian. It could end up depending on your preference - although it was more painful at the time, I would rather have some stitches and sore bits than the pain that must come from a section.

LO was born 9lb 6.

Anyway, HTH! You seem well prepared, and I think that's the best start! Best of luck with it all! x
  • Options
    Best of luck, hope that it all goes as you want it too.
  • Options
    Hope all goes well for ya hun, jason was nearly a week early & weighed 8lb 14oz so i'd prob be in the same boat as you if he didnt arrive on his own accord!
    Good luck image
  • Options
    I was induced at 10 days over and I knew she was about 9lbs 5ish after a growth scan. Over the space of 4 days, I was given the pessaries on 3 separate occasions and nothing happened at all - no softening of the cervix let alone dilation!! I had countless examinations etc but nothing image. Finally a senior consultant came to examine me and said that my baby was too big to pass through me and I would need a section! So that was it - section it was and when born she weighed 9lbs 12oz - so she was big!
    Wishing you lots of luck for a successful induction!
    xx
  • Options
    hi nowt to do with this post but donna &poppy the basset in ur pic looks exactly like my basset stanley theyr like the worlds best dogs appart from the flip top head howling xxxx
  • Options
    hi i had a big baby that was induced.
    my girl was 9lb 7oz.

i had the gel, and it started to work straight away.
    I had that at 8pm in the morning and the next day i had the baby at lunchtime.
    i also had a syntocin drip later on - but no second goes with the gel.

so it can work straight off for some people!
  • Options
    Hi

I was induced and had a baby boy 10lb 3oz.

I was given a pessary at 10pm sat night, at 6am sun morning nothing had happened so they gave me another and a sweep. At 7pm nothing had happened but they told me that they couldnt give me another pessary until 6am monday morning. I wasn't examined until 8:30am monday morning and i was 4cm so i was taken to labour ward and they broke my waters at 12noon. At 2pm they gave me a drip to make my contractions stronger (just to warn you the drip can make your contractions very strong and close together), i think they tend to offer an epidural for the pain. I stuck to gas & air and had my little boy at 5.11pm monday. I started pushing at 4pm so i was pushing for an hour but i didnt have any problems with him getting stuck.

I'm expecting my second now an am hoping this one will arrive on its own so that i can go throught the early stages at home! xx
  • Options
    Lollyhatch - it's not the howling I have a problem with - it's the drool!! Our living room walls get splattered with it!! nice! he's great with the baby though!
  • Options
    Hi everyone - Donna & Poppy my experience was a bit like yours, except I did get to 7cm but that took me 2 days!!! In the end the consultant came round and said this isn't working, we're doing a c section so that's how it ended up. He was born on Friday at 9lb 1oz! xxxxx
  • Options
    Congrats Tiger Lily on baby Gabe's birth

Jen xx
  • Options
    Congratulations!! I read in another post that your section was a great experience - mine was too!
    Just remember to take it easy!!
  • Options
    I was induced with my first baby, i was 13 days o/d, it only took 1 set of Prostin to get things going (although i think i might have had a show the day before) and he was born 6hours later......9lb 13oz!
    Baby no2 was induced as well but i'd had acupuncture to induce me a few days before (which got me to 3cm then it all stopped, grr! You can have it free if you have Sure Start where you live) so i just had my waters broken and he was born 3 1/4 hours later. He wa a week early and "small" at 9lb 3oz, the Dr said if i'd gone 2 weeks o/d like i did with my first he'd have been 11lb!!!

One more thing, growth scans are much more accurate the earlier they are done in your pregnancy and you end up poring over them and dwelling on every detail because that's all you've got to go on. Your baby may not be that big but plenty of big babies are born without any problems (my m/w said they get their heads down and get on with it and don't come out with their hands up and scratch you on the way out!) Gravity will help so keep moving and upright in labour if you can.
    Sorry to waffle on! Good Luck.