Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A birth of 2 parts, Part 1...

Morning All

I'm very pleased to announce the late but safe arrival of Spencer Drew. He was born at 9.25pm on Fri 20th July, exactly two weeks overdue, weighed 8lbs 9.5oz & measured 22ins in length. I was in active labour for 6 hours & pushing for 45mins.
Below are the details of the labour & delivery (cert PG, family friendly, Disney style happy ending) & part 2 will be the aftermath (cert 18, makes a Tarantino movie look like Disney).

2.30am - Woke with bad period pains in pelvis & thighs. Also desperate need to poo. Took paracetamol & went back to bed.
3.30am - Back started to throb, put TENS machine on. Phoned delivery suite, advised to take bath & wait until pains 5mins apart.
5am - Started to rain. Hind waters broke. Decided to head into hospital. Interviewed & examined by mw, not real contractions & only 1-2cm dilated. Sent back home.
8am - Had another bath. Pain increased to unable to sleep. Re-located to sofa. TENS machine annoying me so took it off. Forced down piece of toast.
11am - Woke hubby cos pain getting bad & needed some company. Starting to feel really sick.
1pm - Pain really intense & coming every 5mins. Phoned delivery suite again & advised to wait until 3mins apart. Weather getting really bad so said will set off at 4mins apart.
1.30pm - Drove to hospital. Village & A40 flooded so takes 1.5hrs instead of usual 40mins. Breathing through contractions & having delusions that I'm Supergirl & can breathe through anything!
3pm - Taken straight into delivery room. Examined & 5cm dilated. Tried G&A but made me sick. Had shot Meptid & anti-sickness about 4pm.
7pm - Re-examined & 7cm dilated. Fore waters still not broken so mw offered to break them to speed things up, yes please! Sat on birthing ball & rocked back & forth.
8.30pm - Contractions so strong. Changed into nightshirt & got onto mat on floor & leaned over birthing ball.
8.45pm - Massive urge to push so mw said ok & let my body guide me. Got frustrated cos next few contractions not strong enough. Next big contraction & pushed as hard as I could, mw said she could just see head. Pushed again. Breathed through next contraction to allow stretching. On the next contraction I did little pushes & small breaths. Last contraction was huge so I pushed with all my might & Spencer was safely delivered into the mw arms.
9.25pm - Delivered placenta with help of injection.

End of Part One.