Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby in back to back position

just wondered whether anyone has given birth to a baby in the posterior position. Was it harder, longer or ok? Just want some advice really cause my baby is currently in this position. i have got another 2 weeks until she's due but just wanted some help in case she doesnt turn

thanks emma xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    Your midwife has probably told you this but I've heard that the best way to turn your baby is to crawl around on all 4's and not to slouch on the sofa for too long- you need to sit upright in a 'proper' chair.. My OH was back to back when he was born, but I'm not sure what the labour was like, sorry.
    Hope this helps, good luck x
  • Options
    Hi Emma

My friend recently gave birth to her daughter in posterior.
    I'm not going to sugar-coat her experience but I'm not aiming to scare the crap out of you either. I'm gonna tell you exactly what happened to her.
    She started feeling contractions although they were concentrated in her back rather than across her bump.
    She was dilating very slowly & baby needed to be monitored.
    She was pushing for 2 hours but baby wasn't coming down properly, she was given an episiotomy & doctors attempted to deliver by ventouse but this wasn't successful.
    She was given an emergency c-section to deliver baby.
    My friends experience is pretty much the worst case scenario and its unlikely that you'll have as rough time as she did but both she and her gorgeous daughter are doing really well.

I believe key features of a posterior delivery are slow dilation & increased discomfort in contractions.

Obviously everyone's birth experiences are different & as I said my friend was incredibly unlucky, I'm sure your labour will be fine.

Take care x
  • Options
    Best thing you can do is try and turn your baby. My first was back to back for a while and I spent a lot of time on all fours and leaning over a gym ball which made him turn to normal position. Hope she turns for you.
    Sara. x
  • Options
    my baby was back to back, i laboured for 34hrs, i was put on a drip as baby got stuck and i wasnt dialating. just as they started to prepare me 4 theatre, for forceps/ventousse then c section, he started moving and turned!! all safely out, no stitches and he was 8lb 2 which is big 4 my size.. dont get down heartened, even at the last minute they can turn.. i'm proof of that..!! i waS 12 days over..good luck..
    Marie..xx
  • Options
    Hi

Both of mine were back to back...but I was induced both times, so not sure if it was the back to back that hurt or the induction. But yes it was painful in my back and I had an epidural both times...which was great. Have to say I didn't struggle with the pushing...less than 15 mins with both of them...pushing is the bit I can actually do...though saying that I have to imagine pushing as I couldn't feel to actually push!

No one had ever told me that you could turn them around...and I just assume it is the way I carry them...so am expecting my next one to be exactly the same!

C.x
  • Options
    Hi, my 2nd baby was back to back and i can't lie to you...it really really hurt! We weren't aware she was back to back as i went into premature labour at 33+6 weeks. All my labour pain was in my back and the pain is excruciating - it actually made me vomit. It took me ages to dilate and eventually had to have an episiotomy and forceps delivery as she was stuck and her heartrate was decreasing. Considering she was only 4lbs 11oz it was one heck of a time i had trying to get her out. Had i known about the pain with a back to back labour i would have had an epidural rather than just gas and air!

I hope your baby turns around and would just advise you to be on all fours as much as you can and not to slouch back on the sofa. Good luck. xx
  • Options
    thanks for the responses dont know whether to laugh or cry though?

my midwife didnt give me any advice she just said she's in the back to back position and that was it so didnt really think much of it

i know she can still turn and im gonna have to be on all 4's permanently to help but im scared now.

i'd said from the beginning i didnt want forceps or ventouse but looks like i might not get much choice. i'll take all the pain relief they can throw at me and even a section but i just hope she turns cause i'll just be worrying all the time
  • Options
    Oops hope i haven't scared you, didn't mean to! Just wanted to make you aware of what could happen, as i didn't have any info, but this doesn't mean this will happen to you so try not to worry. Hopefully your baby will turn, fingers crossed for you! xx
  • Options
    Just wanted to let you know that Millie was back to back and I don't think my labour was that painful (not that I have another to compare it to!) I managed with tens and then dimorphine and gas and air and untill the last lot of dimorphine wore off I was fine. I did end up having an episotomy and forceps delivery (after a failed ventouse attempt) and by that point the dimorphine had worn off so that did hurt! The most important thing is that both Millie and I are fine. Try not to worry, your lo still has time to turn so you may be worrying for nothing.
  • Options
    My baby was back to back, I went into labour at 9.50pm my waters broke first (prob cos she was back to back) went to labour ward to get chesked out and she was still back to back, they sent me home, went back in at 3 am by then she had turned and was `in the perfect position for birth` she was delivered by 9am naturally.
  • Options
    my baby was back to back when i was in labour, he turned back to back the day i was being induced lol very kind of him huh.... anyways my labour was 6 hours and the contractions were all in my back, i nver felt the in my tum. it was painful but it was just like really bad backahe.
    hope this helps, dont 4get everyone is different, but good luck, u'll be fine!!!
  • Options
    Hi Emma,
    My mil was back to back with my sister in law which was her 3rd child, 22 years ago. She had a home birth therefore only had gas and air as pain relief. She said it was a long and difficult birth and quite painful, but she managed to deliver without any intervention. She did say that she did bleed quite alot after too. Also my grandmother was back to back with my aunt, her 4th child and she was due to have a home birth but she told me they took her to hospital and put her under a GA and turned the baby inside her then delivered it, but again that was 40 years ago, obviously medicine has changed since then. Good luck and I hope your baby turns in time.
    Gem.x
  • Options
    Go swimming! It's the best thing to get bubs to turn and it's great for you too. I used to spend hours hanging off the side of the pool belly down. Hope it goes well for you. XX
  • Options
    thanks for all the tips and advice just keeping my fingers crossed she's gonna turn.

i know i shouldn't worry and i'll just take it as it comes

at least i know what to expect if she doesn't turn and wont be panicking

emma xx
  • Options
    Hi Emma,
    my son was born back to back. he turned the day before i started contractions so i couldnt do anything about it.:cry: the contractions were in my back so i was confused whether it was labour or not. i had a long labour and ddnt realise it would be so painful, sorry dont wana scare u! ;\)the worse part was the back pain, i tried a water birth but it was too uncomfortable so ended up in hospital havin an epidural and ventouse delivery. i tried pushing for hours but i was too tired in the end.
    like the others say try to turn her, sit on a birthing/gym ball and rock ur pelvis and get on ur knees too, that should help
    really hope it goes well for u:lol:
    Sandy xxx
  • Options
    Hi Emma,
    I just wanted to let you know that it might not be as bad as you think. My first baby was in the back to back position and I gave birth to her with no assistance, after a 7.5 hour labour and only gas and air for pain relief. My labour pains were all in my back but my husband massaged me (for hours!) which really helped. I lay on my side rather than my back which helped to shift the baby's weight and ease the pains.
    I hope this has helped.
    Jan
  • Options
    hey emma

i had my baby girl yesterday and she was back to back. my waters went fully around 4 am and i gave birth at 4:30 pm that day. the midwifes were shocked that i had progressed so fast. i will say that we did try to get her to turn. (rest on your left) but no good and she decided she was coming anyway. i will say that it was very painfull but i managed it after screaming at everyone and everything. the midwifes said its not a problem delivering babies that way it only cause it can make things slower and more painfull but my labour went so fast for 12 hours. and i think every labour is painfull. i had the option to go to hospital for epidural but i did it on gas and air at home so dont worry if baby dont turn as you can still have a good labour.

best of luck

emma x
  • Options
    thanks for the help and advice and i can happily say she must have turned cause i went into on weds morning at 1.30 and she was born at 4.15 with no problems at all i didnt even have any pain relief which im really shocked at cause always thought i was a softie

she weighed 6lb 6oz and she's great

good luck to anyone else who's due

emma x x
  • Options
    They need to be clear and straight with women when baby is back to back.
    I had every intervention possible, epidural etc. Baby wouldn't come down, couldn't even reach with instruments etc. Contractions didn't fade each time, it was grim I'm afraid. Had to have emergency C-section in end. Be prepared for that. Not sure how much help going on all fours really is. If baby is going to turn, then they will, regardless. This to me seems one of those issues which is not discussed enough. An experienced midwife said to me (afterwards) "Oh, square peg in a round hole". Exactly. Wish someone had said this before, so I could have been prepared.....
    Good luck, but don't expect it to be easy......
    Eva
  • Options
    Congratulations Emma, glad everything went ok for you and I hope you are enjoying being a new mum!