Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

next best thing to an epidural

When i had my first i just had the pethadine injection in my leg and gas and air when i was at the pushing stage which i found pretty effective. Not only did it ease the pain but i could also have a couple hours sleep before he was ready for his appearence which gave me that little bit more energy for the pushing stage. Has anyone else had something other than the epidural that they found helped quite a lot? I'm hoping for just gas and air this time round but i can see me asking for something as soon as my toe enters that hospital. lol. xxx

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/18/1805/180526.png

Replies

• Options
    i had an epidural and to be honest, it didnt help much. i was still in agony and if i have another i will not be having an epidural!! i had a meptid injection as my hosp. doesnt do pethedine and this helped although it made me quite sick. xx
  • Options
    i had the pethadine with my first born and it was great but i didnt manage to sleep, but then i was only in labour for 3hours and 45 mins
    but with my second i was able to go the whole 11hours 55 mins with just the gas and air x
  • Options
    I had my tens machine on the whole time which really worked - not only was it good pain releif, it was a great distraction trying to figure out what the hell all the buttons did. I also had gas & air which didnt work for the pain but sucking on the tube thingy was something to concentrate on so i guess it was useful.
  • Options
    i have to say the water pool if its available. its so calming and warm and relaxing i just had this and gas and air and i was in labour 40 hours in total. i had nothing for the pushing stage but i wasnt trying to be brave i just didnt think about it my body took over. hoping for the same again xx
  • Options
    Have to say the epidural for me any day. They're absolute miracles!!! I had a c-section in the end but the epidural was fab, it took the pain of contractions away almost completely. x
  • Options
    I looked very much into pain relief before i had my baby, and i wouldn't have pethidine on any circumstances, because it slows down the babys breathing and makes him/her sleep. this means that when ur in labour the baby gives you no help at all pushing him/herself out. also in some cases it could be life threatening towards the baby i have close people to me that this happened to, morphene is the same. they say (apart from natural labour and gas & air) that epdiural is the safest, if you have never had brain or spinal problems as the epdirual blocks the spinal fluid, xx