Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Induction?

HI!!!!
Just wanted to know what happens when your induced?

Replies

• Options
    It comepletely depends on how your body reacts.
    They will more than likely give you a pessary at first, which will soften you cervix, allowing it to dilate reasonably quickly. Sometimes, this is enough.
    The next stage is either another pessary, or if you are 2-3 cm, they will break your waters. This is quite uncomfortable, so I recommend gas and air to hand!
    If you are having more problems dilating, they sometimes will stretch you to 4 cm or pull your womb forward (which they did with me)- again, gas and air!
    The next step is a drip. it brings on your contractions strong and fast.
    I was rather unlucky in the fact that I had all of the above!
    It's not too bad, so nothing to worry about.
    When are you booked in and are you over due?
  • Options
    hi when i was induced, i had a sweep first then sent home for 2 days. when i went back i was 1cm dilated, they then gave me pessary which got me to 2cm, they then broke my waters, which really starts the pain, but having your waters broken didnt hurt at all, i was put on a drip as contractions werent reg. i had some pethadine but after 5 hrs id had enough so had epidural all in all after 17hrs in delivery room i had evie . i agree its not bad being induced at least you no know when your going in . hope it goes well
  • Options
    hi im 39 weeks now (well due on the 7 of April )!!was just wondering when they give you the option of being induced......... hava feeling i may be late and am sooo uncomfortable already . im only just' 5'ft tall/small!and am finding it really difficult any advice would be lovely x
  • Options
    hi i was gonna be induced 11 days after my due date but labour came on that morning.
  • Options
    It completely depends, they booked me in for 2 weeks after my due date. I don't think they let you further than 2 weeks.
  • Options
    I was due on the 28th of March, but nothing so far, today(29.03.07) I had an appointment with the midwife and she booked my induction for next friday the 6th of April. Well I just have to wait and see if she decides to come out before then. Thanx for your coments I was abit worried about being induced but it doesnt sound as bad as I had originally thought.
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi Laura, I had 1 dose of the gel and lo and behold my not-so-little-one popped out 6 and 1/2 hours later with no other intervention, well apart from episiotomy. I really wouldn't worry, sometimes it can work pretty quick, they usually tell you how ripe your cervix is when they put the gel in. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Hi... Girls. We dont tend to induce women before their due date unless demmed medically necessary. But also wont them go over 2 weeks past their due date. As for induction methods. As the girls have methioned there are a few. Sweaing the membranes is often helpful for some women as it helps to stretch their cervix. The prostoglanden gel of pessaries are used to soften and ripen the cervic ready for labour. However, keep in mind that prostoglanden is the same hormone which is in male semen, so if you are ready kayc, go hoem and have lots of sex, as 39 weeks is fine to have your baby as you are classifed as term from 38 weeks, So try that!!!. Also, the drip which is called syntocinon, is a synthetic hormone of the hormone called oxytocinon which contracts the uterus. So this drip helps to bring on the contractions. Rupturing the membranes (breaking the waters) tends to occur in the actuall labour as we dont break waters untill women are atleast 4 cm dilated. This will often bring on more contractions, speed up the labour but also gives you more stronger pains. kayc please dont opt for being induced try to go into labour naturally, as it is far better on both you and your baby. Dont worry about height, small chinese women like 4 foot manage to push out 10 pound babies. Alhtough everyone is different, but Im sure you will be fine. Try the sex thing too okay. Im hope this has helped you girls.