Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

NCT CLASSES

I am considering taking a course of childbirth classes with the NCT but am concerned that my meagre funds would be better spent on necessary baby equipment. I don't qualify for the charity's discounted fees. I will get a few classes at the hospital anyway - will this be enough? I'd be grateful for any opinions. Thanks, Rachel

Replies

• Options
    Hi if you can get some NHS classes and your money can be used better elsewhere they will probably be enough. The NCT ones may go into a bit more depth but will be pretty much the same. More people have NCT classes now because their trusts are stopping NHS classes to cut spending so you are fortunate that they are offering them to you - if I were you I would save your money and just go to these xx
  • Options
    Hi if you can get some NHS classes and your money can be used better elsewhere they will probably be enough. The NCT ones may go into a bit more depth but will be pretty much the same. More people have NCT classes now because their trusts are stopping NHS classes to cut spending so you are fortunate that they are offering them to you - if I were you I would save your money and just go to these xx
  • Options
    Thankyou for your reply - I will go to the free classes and read loads of books to fill in the gaps.
  • Options
    Hi sorry if i sound like an NCT advertisement here but the antenatal classes through NCT go beyond labour and birth and offer a great support network afterwards. I've made great friends through NCT and do believe that the antenatal classes i attended were a great help in helping me achieve the birth i wanted. Some of the classes are subsidised and also tend to operate at much better hours than those available on the NHS. Whichever classes you go for i hope you get the labour and birth you want - (not too long, fairly painless and a gorgeous, screaming healthy baby at the end.) :\)
    Good Luck x
  • Options
    I agree with jojomummy. My NHS gave me 2 classes and frankly they were crap and were at times when my hubbie couldn't make it and we both thought it was really important that he had some info too!

I have to say the NCT classes were prob a bit idealised and gave a blissful image of everything but they were VERY imformative and helpful telling me things I wouldn't have had a clue about.

And as jojomummy said I have made friends through the class and 4 of us and the babies that were bumps meet up regularly and they are a great support network!

I think a lot of money can be spent on 'things' for the baby that are not essential or necessary but knowing what is happening to you rbody and how you may feel or cope during labour is really important - i felt it was money really well spent!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies - that's all food for thought. I think I may feel a little isolated once baby comes, so it would be great to have other mums to meet up with. My place will be held open a little longer before i need to make a decision.
  • Options
    I'm with Jojomummy and Crafticharlie on this - they were fantastic and I made some great friends, my biggest support post birth has come from my NCT friends and we see each other a lot. We are relocating to another county next week and although when we have our next baby we probably won't need to, I will go to NCT classes again because I will need friends with babies the same age.
  • Options
    Hi again, I get what the others are saying and I am a member of the NCT and think they are great but made friends at NCT things without going to antenatal classes (like bumps and babies )
    Of course it is fantastic to make friends and support each other - after making friends with my 1st (from NHS classes) I didn't go to classes before my second so don't have many friends his age. However, with my 3rd I have had a great time and have 3 different lots of friends from the pregnancy yoga group I attended, the NCT home birth group and the NHS aquanatal classes where 6 of us stayed in contact and met weekly then fortnightly at our homes. It has been great and we are really close now (apart from one leaving to move to France last month!!)xx