Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

breech birth

HI EVERYBODY I'M NEW HERE AND I'M DUE IN 11 DAYS AND MY BABY IS BREECH BUT THE OB SEEMS TO THINK I CAN DELIVER NATURALLY HAS ANYONE GOT ANY STORIES ON BREECH LABOUR.

Replies

• Options
    Hi ralphsy, welcome to the site. My friend had a vaginal breech delivery and was fine, only needed a few stiches. Godd luck!
  • Options
    Hey ralphsy my little boy was breechand was born by c-section 11th december. The raeson he was born by c-section is coz the doctors told me was safest for him. They pretty much have a policy at my hospital to deliver breech babies by c-section especially as my boy was footling breech (with one leg down and one leg up. I would have loved to try for a vaginal breech and have looked into it a bit. A midwife told me at the time that they used to deliver most breech babies vaginally but as c-sections became more commonplace for them that the skills were lost and it is now safer alot of the time just coz the medical staff aren't trained or experienced in vaginal breech. I looked at some medical sites on the internet which said that if ur baby is being delivered by a person with teh right training and experience that a breech birth should carry no more risk than that of a breech c-section. These were sites written by and for midwives and other medical personnel (sorry i dont remembe4r the site names but i just searched under vaginal breech births i think) so I would a=imagine tehy are quite acurate. I would warn you though that if u do find these sites they do tend to have details of actual deliveries and some of them do not have happy endings. I would imagine if u have been offered a breech birth then your doctor must be confident of his abilities and experience but I would definitely question him on his history of breech deliveries. Also some of the sites express a strong opinion of the importance of a breech birth as opposed to a breech delivery, basically that breech births are better when the mother ios left to birth naturally and that complications tend to occur when there is too much interference from medical personnel. Apparantly the phrase is " Hands off a breech". So I would definitely raise all this before the birth. If I was in your position I would definitely try the natural birth, I really wishn it had been an option for me. I would not recomend a c-section to anyone unless absolutely necessary, dont get me wrong u would get ur baby at the end and u'd be fine but the recovery period is a pain in the backside. Just wondering have u tried an ECV
  • Options
    Hey ralphsy my little boy was breechand was born by c-section 11th december. The raeson he was born by c-section is coz the doctors told me was safest for him. They pretty much have a policy at my hospital to deliver breech babies by c-section especially as my boy was footling breech (with one leg down and one leg up. I would have loved to try for a vaginal breech and have looked into it a bit. A midwife told me at the time that they used to deliver most breech babies vaginally but as c-sections became more commonplace for them that the skills were lost and it is now safer alot of the time just coz the medical staff aren't trained or experienced in vaginal breech. I looked at some medical sites on the internet which said that if ur baby is being delivered by a person with teh right training and experience that a breech birth should carry no more risk than that of a breech c-section. These were sites written by and for midwives and other medical personnel (sorry i dont remembe4r the site names but i just searched under vaginal breech births i think) so I would a=imagine tehy are quite acurate. I would warn you though that if u do find these sites they do tend to have details of actual deliveries and some of them do not have happy endings. I would imagine if u have been offered a breech birth then your doctor must be confident of his abilities and experience but I would definitely question him on his history of breech deliveries. Also some of the sites express a strong opinion of the importance of a breech birth as opposed to a breech delivery, basically that breech births are better when the mother ios left to birth naturally and that complications tend to occur when there is too much interference from medical personnel. Apparantly the phrase is " Hands off a breech". So I would definitely raise all this before the birth. If I was in your position I would definitely try the natural birth, I really wishn it had been an option for me. I would not recomend a c-section to anyone unless absolutely necessary, dont get me wrong u would get ur baby at the end and u'd be fine but the recovery period is a pain in the backside. Just wondering have u tried an ECV
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    oh my life really sorry dont know how i did that, not meaning to be a page hog honest.