Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Raspberry Leaf Tablets - your experiences please!

Hiya to anyone who can help!
I have just been readng a load of old threads about this but am even more confused so thought I would start a new one.
Please can anyone who has taken raspberry leaf tablets tell me:
When did you start taking them?
What strength did you take and how often?
What were the effects, if any?
Thanks in advance
Tracey

Replies

• Options
    Hello! I started taking 500mg Raspberry leaf extract tablets last Wednesday. You can take 1-3 tablets daily ( I take as many as I can remember to, sometimes thats only 1 a day!) Cant say Ive really noticed a difference but Im so desperate to get this baby out now Im willing to try anything! Im due in 9 days but I dont think my baby wants to come out! : ( 500mg doesnt seem to be a common strength though, most people seem to have 400mg or 640mg (theyre the strengths holland and barret sell)
  • Options
    U poor thing! I know how u feel! Im feeling the same and Im not even overdue yet! Be careful with caster oil though, I heard of someone who took it and was really ill with diorhea (probably wrong spelling!) from taking it and couldnt leave the bathroom for a whole weekend! She said if she had gone into labour she wouldnt have been able to cope coz she felt so unwell already!
  • Options
    Hi, raspberry leaf tea is a uterine tonic which is supposed to tone the uterus to aid with the second stage of labour. Don't think it will help bring labour on, but will help once you've started. I drank the tea from 36 wks, starting with 1 cup per day and moving up to 3 cups by full term. My labour lasted 13 hours with only 11 mins of pushing for my first. Don't know if it was the tea but I'm not going to risk not having it next time! Hope this helps and good luck! x x
  • Options
    Hi trackieann

I used raspbeery leaf tablets last time. As far as I can remember I started taking them at 32wks. That is the earliest I heard you could take them, though some places tell you later. I started on them gradually & by 36wks I took the maximum dose you could take for the strength I was using (sorry I cant remember what it was ). I dont think they have any side effects other than if you were at risk of a premature labour you would be advised not to take them. I still dont know if they did me any good but they certainly didnt do me any harm & I'll be taking them again this time. I went 4days past my due date & had an 11hr labour with a 15min pushing stage which I was told isnt bad for a 1st baby but whether or not it was down to the raspberry leaf tablets or not I dont know

Hilary
  • Options
    i took the tablets from 36weeks in both pregnancies and was 4 days early then a week early but i dont think you can totally count on them as my friend did same but was a week late.the only effect i had which wasnt pleasant was that i went to the toilet a lot(and i mean like 7 times a day but at least i didnt poo myself in labour,haha!!!)
  • Options
    i drank raspberry leaf tea quite a bit in the last trimester and was only 2 days overdue that was with my first!!!!!!!
  • Options
    i drank the tea from being 37 weeks but i was still induced at 42 weeks!! please dont use caster oil as it can make you really poorly, thats why they wont sell it to pregnant women!
    vikki xx
  • Options
    i took the tablets and had a 20 min labour
  • Options
    hi there i drank 1 cup of raspberry leaf tea the night before i was due and went into labour that night and had a 41/2 hr labour so they workedfor me
  • Options

the tablets r stronger than the tea and its also helps to soften the cervix ready for labour, i took them with baby no 2 and 3 and within days of taking them i had a show, closely followed by labour, im now on baby no 5 and decided to start taking them again, im 37 +5 and been on 6 tabs a day for 3 days now and im extremely tired and in pain all the time and hoping she makes an appearance soon, i do believe they help, or at least give u warning labour is gonna start soon, my 4th i didnt take them and my waters brolke out of the blue and i was in full labour for 8 hrs, hence y im taking them this time xxx

• Options

i started drinking 3 cups a day at 35 weeks every time i drank it i can minor contractions but the little man was still 10 days late and an emergency C so theres no telling whether it will work for you or not. still its good for you if nothing else!!