Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeling much better today - Thanks

I just want to say a massive thank you to all you ladies who replied to my post yesterday.

I really did get myself into a state!.. felt so ill by the end of the evening but sorted things out with hubby.
Dont know whether you've read my other post but ive decided to go straight to the epidural... and have asked that hubby (nor anybody else) is in the delivery room when he's actually coming.

Hubby will be there at the hospital and during most of the labour but im going to make this as easy as possible on myself..

Im presuming they will simply give me the epidural?....
Im seeing MW today.. so ill have to ask a few questions.
As you know i was going to ask for a C section but ive decided on the above now. That way i feel calm, wont be embarrassed and will have no pain...

I know its a cowards way out but I dont care. I seriously had a bit of a panic attack yesterday... and dont want to get like that again...

HOpe you are all well ladies.. I really do appreicate everything and hope your feeling fine today!
I really mean that from the heart... thank you so much for such a great response yesterday.

hugs to you all
Em x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Em.
    Glad you're feeling better today. I've been thinking of you and reading your posts. I had an epidural with my first and the "no pain" thing was great, mind you I was in labour for 12 hours before I had the epidural, it is NOT a cowards way at all. Hope all goes well with your mw today.
    Big hugs
    Sara.xxx
  • Options
    thanks sara...
    i think theres too much pressure from everyone all the time to have the least drugs as possible.. but i just know i want the epidural.. so thanks for your comments.. its the giving birth part that troubles me.. which is why im going to have it... the labour before I will try and deal with... (however, must make sure not to have it too late... as they wont give it will they..).. thats why im going to make intentions clear in the beginning.

thanks again sara...
    will be back on later.. hope your very well too xx
    luv em x
  • Options
    bless you honey, really glad your feeling better today & had a good chat with your hubby. i had an epidural & can thoroughly recommend it - no pain at all. If you want drugs take em, i did. i had everything going Tens, Gas/Air Pethidin & the Epidural, i don't do pain either. you never know you might be a real natural birth mother & the baby will just plop out without touching the sides. lol. Keep us informed of any progress & do enjoy as best you can the rest of your time XXX
  • Options
    Ahh thanks cathyG...
    I'll certianly keep you updated.
    Went to MW earlier and made my intentions clear about wanting the epidural...

She said she thinks im having around a 9lb baby!!!... hes a big boy!......... so just as well..

xxx

thanks again x
  • Options
    Ahh thanks cathyG...
    I'll certianly keep you updated.
    Went to MW earlier and made my intentions clear about wanting the epidural...

She said she thinks im having around a 9lb baby!!!... hes a big boy!......... so just as well..

xxx

thanks again x

ahh how lovely, i had a boy too (7lb 4oz) - they're great, am really excited for you. xx
  • Options
    hi em.. I think once you've made a decision with what pain relief you're going for it takes the pressure off. I had an epidural with my first so don't think you're a coward. my midwife second time around said to me that "you don't get a medal at the end for going through lots of pain that you can't cope with.... If you want another epidural then have one!" :\)

You going for what pain relief feels right for you, that to me is someone who has the intellegence to not run along with what other people say is the "right" thing to do. You sound so much more calm now. hope you have a good birth. xxxxxxxx :\)
  • Options
    thanks wenders....
    really appreciat that...

can you tell me what your birth experience was like with the epidural then?..
    did you feel nothing?... were you still able to push?.... and when did you decide to have it (did you decide first thing like me)..

Thanks
    Em x
  • Options
    hi em, sorry just realised that you'd posted! lol :\)

I had a very long labour and had the epidural when i was about 3/4cm dliated as I'd had enough by the then! It didnt work completly for me and I could half feel the contractions down my right side, but I could still feel contractions as my belly would go hard... after having my 2nd 2 weeks ago I can now "compare notes" and I could defintatly feel an urge to push with the epidural as they turn it off when you're getting to the stage of pushign so you can feel things a bit... but it was NOTHING like the urge to push 2nd time around!

I did end up with forceps/stitches with the epidural but to me this was alot better than ending up with c-section stitches, which is what I nearly had!!

xxx :\)
  • Options
    Thanks for that....
    It doesnt sound like you had a particularly good experience with the epidural then if you could still feel half?....

This worries me!.. ..

Thanks for posting your experience though xx

• Options
    Epidurals are GREAT. Like everything in life they dont suit everyone but most women will have a good birth with them.

I had to have one with a breech delivery in case of a sudden rush to theatre for a C section. I had no pain for most of the labour and that was great.

With 2nd and 3rd I had one a bit later in pregnancy and regretted not having one earlier. it does slow things a bit but the urge to push was still there. No one gives you a medal if you have drug free birth and after all a chilled out mum is a better mum than a pain ravaged one who may resent baby for causing so much pain. my last child arrived too quickly to get epidural but still bloody hurt and felt like shittin a brick!!!!!!!!! No make that a large melon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, its your body and if you want an epidural then you bloody well have one. They are there to have so do it. If you dont like it or feel out of control it can be shut down so no more drugs go in. Belive me though labour hurts and there is no reason why it should if you can take drugs to help. If men gave birth imagine the different pain releif they would be for them. We as woman are expected to lay back and get on with it.

If you dont mind me saying you seem an anxious person and you are very worried about giving birth. If making the decision to have an epidural helps then make sure you have birth plan with EPIDURAL in red pen...dont let a midwife tell you to have a go with gas and air or pethidine etc...you are giving birth not them. Make sure your birth partner knows your wishes too. Mostly though relax......if it was as bad as a lot of women make out then why do we still go on having them???? I admit it hurts to buggery but I still had 4!!!! Cant be that bad then can it????? Also take a minute to remember what it is all in aid of.......a beautiful baby all of your own to love.

Good Luck and remember its your body, your baby and your decision.

All the best
    Di xx
  • Options
    Thanks for that....
    It doesnt sound like you had a particularly good experience with the epidural then if you could still feel half?....

This worries me!.. ..

Thanks for posting your experience though xx

hiya

It's not that common apartently for the epidural not to work fully on one side, so don't worry about it! lol :\) I would defintaly recommend it, as even though it didn't work fully down one side it was definatly a lot less pain than giving birth with just gas & air! lol...

xxxx