Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

posterior baby

hi im 4 days away now and yesterday i was told my babys in a posterior position, midwife told me all about the down on all fours stuff but i was wondering if any1 has more info!!??? n also want to know if it stops you from actuallt going into labour?? love xx

Replies

• Options
    my youngest was posterior and he spent 90% of his time like this in the pregancy. and i'm not going to lie to you but at the same time dont want to scare you.

my waters went on the weds and i started labour on fri (by myself i wasn';t induced), i was in labour for 7 hours and they spent this time trying to turn him as his head wouldn't engage because of him being posterior. in the end i got rushed down to theatre for an emergency section.

but then my friends daughter was the same but she was delivered vaginally still being posterior.

then another friend her little man turned around last minute and was born normally.

hope this helps you out, it could go either way. i was told to get on all fours and wiggle my hips. i was also told that sitting down encourages them to be posterior. so try to limit sitting down to a minimum (i know its hard when you're carrying all the extra weight)
  • Options
    I went into labour normally ten days before my dd. I was in labour for about 18 hours altogether and no body realised that lo was posterior untill after I had been pushing for an hour!! I ended up having ventouse attempts and then forceps but Millie arrived more or less in one piece! They did say that had they realised at an earlier stage I could have had a drip to make the contractions stronger (and an epidural lol) and proabably would have been able to deliver without assistance. There is still time for your lo to turn, apparantly sitting on a bith ball if you have one is better than slouching on the settee as well.
    Good luck,
    Kerry xx
  • Options
    Hi my 2nd and 3rd were both posterior and the births were very different.
    With my 2nd I was already fully dilated when I got to the hospital and after forceps with my 1st really wanted to push this one out but no-one realised he was posterior so let me push for 2 hours before I had forceps again (it proably made it more difficult that he was 10lbs 3 1/2 oz too).

I had my 3rd at home in the birthing pool and my fantastic midwife realised that she was probably posterior (and you can see her discussing it with the other midwife on the video!) but was sensible enough not to tell me and left me to carry on with the most fantastic birth ever! In the end it was actaully an added bonus that she came out face up as her head was out for 2 1/2 minutes and she was just looking up at us before the rest of her slid out (my smallest at 9lbs 2 oz).
    I do remember that it felt as if my back was spliiting which is what I kept saying and made the midwife suspect she was posterior but I was on all 4's in the pool right until the end. As she wasn't coming out she suggested I turn over and she came out with the next push.
    I hope that is encouraging as it was still the best day of my life!
    Hope it goes well for you too xx

No, it won't stop you going into labour x
  • Options
    My LO turned posterior at 40 weeks. There are some things you can do to encourage them back to anterior: Don't slouch when you sit; try to keep your knees below your hips; gently bounce and rock on a yoga/gym/birthing ball; get down on all fours; sleep on your left side; stay as active as possible.

My LO half-turned before labour so I was able to deliver naturally but I had my contractions in my back. I had my waters broken by mw but I don't know if that was due to posterior position or not.

Good luck x
  • Options
    Everything that pixie_woo has just said could really help. Its worth giving it a try.
    My baby was posterior and I went into labour 4 hours before my induction at 13 days overdue. I hadn't thought about it but now you mention it, that could have been why I went so overdue.
    My baby never did turn, not even in labour and like pixie_woo says, you get the contractions in your back.
    Defo try the positions to turn your baby though babes. Try googling it too xx
  • Options
    hey hun my baby was posterior and i went 7 days over i wasnt dilating either so i had 5 days in really slow labor which wasnt all that fun i ended up with failed forceps and a emergency c section i later found out that my baby ended up trapped in my pelvis as i had severe SPD and my body nearly killed her as she was in distress hope this helps
    sorry i didnt mean to scare you good luck xx
  • Options

hi annalia. i've had 2 daughters both -  posterior position. The first was he second born of twins ( she decided to play once she had extra room after first twin born!) but she was helped out by staff managing her with their hands, and arrived 15 minuted after the first twin. I was unaware of her position during birth as it didn't really make things too bad. The birth of my second daughter, and third child, however, was a different and difficult story. Three days in labour, and pain levels consistently above the norm. Midwives were not supportive - infact i was in trouble for not eating or drinking over that time, but i could only concentrate on getting thru the pain. My little girl - well, 9lb4oz girl -  was eventually born naturally with the help of an epidural. What i would say to anyone expecting a posterior position labour is to read up and get to grips with the facts, make sure you have caring, supportive and patient people with you, and keep re-evaluating your options. For instance, i had post natal depression and difficulties bonding with my second daughter, which i put down to a painful and exhausting birth with little care and support from hospital staff. It might be better to deal with the physical consequences of a caesarean than to give birth naturally. Good luck - it'll all be worth it in the end. lots and lots of love