Forum home› Pregnancy› Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tens machine????

Hi everyone

Just wanted to no how effective a tens machine really is and can enyone recomend a particular one?

Thanks Hannah x

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    i used the mamatens and personally i wouldnt bother again. It was ok as a distraction more than anything only in early labour. later on it was much more of an irritation and i had to turn it off. However everyone is different and i have heard some really good things from people too. I think they just work for some and not for others. Also the pads have to be in the exact right place or it wont work. My advice would be to try it because they can work really well for some. Sorry for rambling! xx
  • Options
    Hi, my hospital gave me one when i was in labour (had to go in at first signs as high risk pg) and tbh i found it really helpful, im a bit of a wuss when it comes to pain and it gave me something else to think about, i def wld use one again, but sorry have no idea on brands but you can hire them as well

xxDBxx
  • Options
    I hired one for my first labour but never actually got to use it (it was very quick). I hired one again for my second baby and had a very long early labour 17 1/2 hours.

I used it to start with and I suppose it was a bit of a distraction but when I took it off there was no difference (after about ten odd hours) and early labour was so long and I was getting quite annoyed that not a lot helped me until things actually got going and I was like 'thank goodness for that'. I personally wouldn't bother again but i know some people find it a real help. It's like most things, different strokes for different folks so give it a go. If it helps that's great.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies think i might enquire about hiring one then if it dosnt work or i dont get on with it i wont be sat there annoyed afterwards thinking what a waste of money could have bought baby somthing lol xx
  • Options
    Hi i've got 1 from natures gate ??22 4 6weeks. I'm due Fri & 1st signs of contractions & it'll be on. Hoping it helps
  • Options
    Hi, i found mine really useful, i prob used it at the later stage which is not the way around you are supposed to! I had contraction pains round my back and it really helped there. I would nod to my husband when a contraction came and he pressed the buttons on it so i could just breathe through the contractions. I hired mine from boots on line, it arrived on time and they extended the hire as i went overdue so i think i had it for around 6 weeks.

[Modified by: kyan2012 on March 12, 2009 08:34 AM]

• Options
    I would really recommend them. I hired one from my midwife and used it from very early labour right on until I was 10cm dilated. I am usually a real wimp with a very low pain threshold and I managed with just this. I had lots of pain in my back and the continuous pulsing really helped. Think it suits some people and not others but definitely worth a go.
    xxx
  • Options
    Hello Hannah

I hope you're well and enjoying pregnancy.

I gave birth to my precious daughter on the 1st feb and her middle name is Hannah... lovely name!

I used a tens machine in early stages of labour (1-6cm dilated) and it definately helped. The hospital supplied the tens machine to me.

Good luck with your labour. Definately use a tens machine if you can. I would say positive thinking and an open mind with regards to pain relief will help you through each stage,

Take care

Rachel
    xx

[Modified by: RachelandBabygirl on March 12, 2009 10:26 PM]

• Options
    i bought one from Boots - i dont think it was too much more expensive than hiring and i figured if i have another baby, i am better off buying one as it will work out cheaper in the long run. Anyway, i found it really helpful, my contractions were all in my back and like the other person said, the pulsing really helps. It is also good as a distraction. I also used gas & air (rubbish - but again good as a distraction ie biting the mouth piece) and one shot of pethadine (also rubbish - just made me sleepy). I went into labour with an open mind about pain relief - i think thats the best way as you dont know until its happening how you will feel but best to be prepared with a tens machine at least.
  • Options
    I loved mine.
    I hired mine through Boots & earnt extra Advantage Points in the process.
    I put it on early & I couldn't even feel the contractions then (the period pain type ones), I noticed when it went off - I accidently turned it off several times! oops!
    I would deffo hire one again for future births.
    xxx
    http://bf.lilypie.com/qYRe0/.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/RRvn0/.png