Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My BS!

Hi all, sorry it's taken so long to post this but the last week has been manic!

On friday 13th August I woke up to a text from my bump buddy Shoyu telling me the news that her little girl had been born, this obviously put me in a really good mood!
I got up, had breakfast but was then really sick, I phoned my doctors as I didn't want to phone my midwife incase she sent me to the maternity for monitoring, I felt that if I had picked up a bug I didn't want to be around newborns! The doctor told me it could either be a bug going around or the start of labour! I was advised to stay close to home and monitor the situation!
My OH got really excited and said he was sure we would have baby today to which I replied that we couldn't have a baby on fri 13(h and packed him off to work!

For the rest of the day I did nothing but watch TV and lay in bed, I had no other symptoms and actually felt really well!
At 3.30pm I decided to go on the PC and upsate the August arrivals list! At 4pm I was sat at the computer desk and I heard a 'POP' I went to the toilet and seconds later my waters broke!
I phoned OH and maternity ward who told me to go in for monitoring! Off we went, I felt fine and even posted on here using my phone to let you all know my waters had broken!
Got to the hospital at 5.05pm and was monitored for 40 mins, everything came back normal and baby was happy but monitor showed I was having no contractions so I was booked in for an induction at 3.30pm on sat! We left hospital at 6.20pm!

OH and I decided to get a take away and enjoy our last night as a couple watching a DVD, OH dropped me off at home to have a bath whilst he went to get the take away!
I was just getting in the bath when I had my first contraction, it was 7.01pm, from then on contractions came every 2 minutes and lasting 50 seconds, I knew by 7.15pm that I needed to get back to hospital and needed OH and MIL to help me get out of the bath!
OH phoned hospital who told us to come straight in! It took me 10 mins just to get downstairs, out of front door and into the car! The hospital is 5 mins away and in that time I had 6 contractions, it took me 20 mins to get up to the labour ward as I was in agony!

We got to the labour ward for 8.10pm, and when the midwife asked my name I told her I needed drugs now, which everyone but me found really funny!
We were shown to our room and was told I would need to be examined before making any decisions about drugs, I remember saying that if they told me I was only 1cm dilated I was going to kill myself lol! Me being very dramatic lol!
I was 4cm and was given gas and air, which was AMAZING! At this point I was stood up laid over the bed with OH massaging my back! I was introduced to my midwifes Amy and Chow who were lovely, they kept me calm, relaxed and were so lovely and funny! They ensured my birth plan was followed to a T!

At 9.20pm I kept having this urge to push and told OH he needed to get someone, at this point they discovered I was 8.5/9cm but was told not to push until they got things ready and by then I should be 10cm, not pushing when your body needs to is the hardest thing I have ever done, infact at this point not pushing was harder than the pushing stage!
I started pushing at 9.40pm, on all 4's leaning over the raised head of the bed, the midwifes were amazing letting me push when I needed to and rest when I felt the need to, once the head crowned thay talked me through not pushing jsut panting so I didn't tear!
Geneveieve Janet was born at 10.27pm - 3hrs 26mins after my first contraction - weighing 7lb12oz, she didn't cry but was fully allert with massive eyes! I felt like I had known her forever!
OH cut her cord!

I breastfed and had skin to skin whilst midwifes delivered the placenta and checked out any damage, I was so pleased to hear that I didn't need stitches, I just had a small graze!

OH had skin to skin with Eve so I could have a shower, I then had tea and toast and the 3 of us spent some time together as a family! I can honestly say it was perfect, she is perfect and I will never forget the moment I first saw her or the feeling of being a family!

Replies