Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Not given antibiotics/follow up scan after m/c at 7 weeks

I was told today I'd had a m/c at 7 weeks (I should have been 12 weeks) but have suddenly remembered that when I had one previously at 10 weeks, I was given antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection.

Is this because my cervix won't open as wide this time when I pass naturally? I know a 10 week involves them dilating 2cm.

Also, my hospital doesn't do follow up scans any more to make sure everything has passed. How will I know if I have passed everything as I don't really want a D&C and surely lots of blood etc will have built up over 5 weeks image

Replies

• Options
    Hi Tracy, sorry to hear your news. I had a mc on Monday at six weeks and Im also not having a follow up scan, they seemed to think it would all pass naturally which I think it has now. I did have a follow up blood test though, this is so they can make sure that my hormones are going down.

Take care xxx
  • Options
    Yes I remember having blood taken to check that hcg levels had gone down but I've not not been asked back at all.

I think I'll give it a week to pass and if not, go to the EPU as it's been 5 weeks already and I wouldn't say I've lost that much blood since Monday.:\?
  • Options
    I had a mc in feb and I did'nt have any antibiotics.
    I also did'nt have a follow up scan.
    I was worried bout that at first but everything seems to be fine now!!
    If you have any worries go bk to ur epu.
    Take care
    xx
  • Options
    Hi,

I had mc on Monday, have follow up scan in 2 weeks, seems every hospital different!!! Didn't get offered antiobiotics??

Good luck xx
  • Options
    Hi
    I had a follow up appt today after mmc. I started mc on 27th june and stopped bleeding completely last wednesday. They gave me a pregnancy test and guess what? BFP! The only time I didn't want a BFP. I'm not pregnant just that hormones are still high. I then had an internal and they've booked me in for a scan tomorrow as they don't think that I have passed everything.
    I had been so positive for a whole week and this has taken me back to square one as now I think I'll have to have a D&C which I could have had in the first place but didn't want.
    Anyway, this proves that every hosp is different and that if you have any concerns, go back to gp.
    Take care. xxx