Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

No period after missed miscarriage

Hi everyone, I'm new on here although have been reading posts on here for a while - it seems like a good place to get support and advie so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out...

I went for my first scan at 14 weeks on 17th February and found out that the baby's heart had stopped beating at 9 weeks. Very sad. I had an ERPC a week later after which I had very little bleeding. Since then I have had no period and am desperate for it so we can start ttc again. I know it can take a while for things to return to normal however in a way this is normal for me...After I came off the pill I had no periods at all, eventually my Dr gave me provera to induce a period, still nothing so Dr gave me Chlomid, I concieved first month. I'm now worried that there is something wrong which stops me shedding the lining of my womb or something, which stops me having periods and meant that I didn't miscarry normally. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? I still have chlomid left from before so I'm wondering whether to take it to get things moving - I know I shoudln't really self-prescribe but I'm worried my Dr will tell me to wait for my period - despite my history! I want to do the right thing and do everything I can to prevent another mc but think that concieving again is the only way I'll ever be able to get over my miscarriage. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!!

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear you are still waiting for your AF to return. The first cycle can be really tough waiting for everything to return to 'normal'. I too am keen to get my BFP as it can help to move forward and look to the future again.
    It can take quite a few weeks for some ladies to get their AF, although if it is worrying you you should speak to your GP. The other alternative, is there any chance you could be pregnant again? It can happen on your first cycle!
    Hope you get some answers soon.
    Lilou x
  • Options
    Hi, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had a mmc and ERPC as well.

The aversge rime for af after mc is 4-6 weeks. But that is only the average. I would not recommend you take the clomid without speaking to your doctor.

Although it is hard, the best thing to do is probably to wait for nature. If you can give wourself a bit more time, then go to the GP, and stress your history. They might put you back on the clomid themselves.

Hope af turns up on here own. She's either here for those who don't want her, or awol for those that do! lol

Take care. xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Deep down I know I should hold on and wait a bit longer and I would if I had a normal hisotry of regular cycles but having waited 8 months for af after coming off the pill (and not ever getting it) I'm a bit dubious about holidng on for it to happen naturally. I'll maybe give it a bit longer and see how I feel in a couple of weeks. I wish I could stop worrying about it - I'm sure thats not helping things!

No, I couldn't be pg again, we've been being really careful as I really did want nature to take its course and get one cycle out of the way before we try again!

Good luck to you all ttc! x
  • Options
    Unfortunately stress and worry can delay things, you're right. If you can wait a little longer, then go to the GP and say you are beyond the average time to get af after mc, AND you have blah blah history...might be better. Good luck hun. xx
  • Options
    Hi - i'm so sorry for your loss and what you've been through.

I've had to have 2 erpcs in the last 6 months and recovered physically quite quickly from them both - bleeding settled, no rpoc etc. My first af took 34 days to arrive and i think i ov around day 18ish which was pretty normal for me. This second time though my body seems to have gone a bit mad - i keep thinking i've ov - i have a cramp and get a day of watery/ewcm then it goes back to normal. I also had terrible hot flushes the last 2 weeks. I had an EPAU f.up scan today and was told it was unlikely i'd ovulated yet as my endometrium was about 10mm and there was no sign of 'follicular activity' - whatever that means and i'm already cd26 so i'm having a looong cycle it would appear!! Anyway, excuse my rambling and hijacking your post but what i'm getting to is that it really can take your body a while to get back to normal - sometimes longer than the 6 weeks suggested. I'd definately have a chat with your GP because they may beable to suggest why it's taking so long given your past history - he may suggest investigations or something before restarting your clomid. Is there any chance you could be pg again?

It takes such a long time to feel normal after a mc - i'm only just starting to and am desperate for my af although wont be ttc for a while. It's so hard though when all you want to be is pg again - totally understand what you're saying.

Thinking of you hun...Fairy x
  • Options
    Really sorry - just realised i'd completely missed you saying you couldn't be pg again. Serves me right for trying to read too quickly!! x
  • Options
    Just thought I'd update in the hope that it might help someone in a similar situation...I ended up making an appointment to see my Dr. for reassurance apart from anything else (I figured worrying certainly wasn't helping matters!). My Dr has put me back on clomid to try and kickstart things as it looks like i don't ovulate on my own. : (

I feel a bit happier now as I don't feel like i'm in limbo like i did before. Hopefully the clomid will work as it did last time!

• Options
    Hi honey,
    Sorry to read that you have been having a rough time. I seem to have missed this post somehow but wish I hadn't as I am af-less too. Grr.
    I mc'd on 17th Feb, bled for 5 days, had spotting (v light) for 5 days 32 days later, no af, then more light spotting 3 weeks after that and nothing since!!
    I have been planning on going to the docs every week but keep chickening out, worrying that he'll either tell me to wait or that he'll find something wrong with me.
    I have read about taking provera, how does it work? Do you think that it would be any use to me? I don't know what to do - it's 10 weeks today.
    Glad you're sorted though. Hope you get your BFP really soon now!
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi honey,
    Sorry to read that you have been having a rough time. I seem to have missed this post somehow but wish I hadn't as I am af-less too. Grr.
    I mc'd on 17th Feb, bled for 5 days, had spotting (v light) for 5 days 32 days later, no af, then more light spotting 3 weeks after that and nothing since!!
    I have been planning on going to the docs every week but keep chickening out, worrying that he'll either tell me to wait or that he'll find something wrong with me.
    I have read about taking provera, how does it work? Do you think that it would be any use to me? I don't know what to do - it's 10 weeks today.
    Glad you're sorted though. Hope you get your BFP really soon now!
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi MrsDAO,
    Sorry to hear about your loss - you miscarried on the same day as I went for my scan and found out I'd miscarried too so in terms of timescales we're exactly the same.
    Yes, I think Provera can definietly help some people - I tried it before when I didn't ovulate after coming off the pill but unfortunately it didn't work for me which is why my Dr has put me on Clomid which actually makes you ovulate. I think i'm right in saying that Provera doesn't actually make you ovulate - it just brings on a bleed (i.e. the lining of your womb) but that can be enough to regulate your cycles. It is definitely worth going to the Doctors to have a chat about it. My Dr seemed to think 9/10 weeks was plenty long enough to raise concerns.
    I wish you luck with everything and hope that your Dr can give you some sort of reassurance and guidance on what you should do next. Let me know how you get on. x
  • Options
    Thanks a million - I really appreciate the reply. I phoned the docs today but they said I need to phone in the morning to make a smae day appointment, which I will do tomorrow.
    I feel so much better for reading your reply - not like I'm being impatient or gone mad!
    Will def let you know what happens.
    Thanks again and hope yo're well.
    xxxx
  • Options
    Hi rhr,
    Well I've just been to the docs and they basically said to wait and see and go back in another 6 WEEKS if nothing happens. I have had slight spotting at times during the last 10 weeks and they think that that was my body "trying" to have af but that there simply isn't enough blood. AGGHHHH!!!!!!!!
    So annoyed. They also told me to use a condom until I get a proper af but then gave me 3 pots to pee in because pg tests are expensive?!?!?!
    I'm none the wiser now. The dr was a trainee and did a double check with her trainer doc and she agreed.
    So that's about it! Totally pi**ed off that I will still have to sit and wait.
    Hope you're well hun,
    xxx
  • Options
    Oh no! That is really rubbish!! I'm so sorry that going to the Drs didn't give any reassurance or solutions. It seems mad to me that different Drs, who presumably have the same training and quals, can give such different advice! I'm obvioulsy lucky with my Dr. Is there anyone else you can go and see?
    I guess the fact that you've had spotting may mean that something is happening at least, you may well be ovulating? How about trying ovulation testing kits? I know thats not really a solution - but if you know you've ovulated you'll know you're body is gettign back to normal, regardless of whether you are having proper periods. As post above says you don't HAVE to wait for af before trying again, they just advise you do for dating purposes etc.
    I really hope af comes to visit you soon. Keep in touch with how you're getting on. x