Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Blighted ovum

hi! i've been up to the early pregnancy unit today as i'd had slight blood in my mucus. they scanned me and said the sac was only the size of 6 weeks-i'm 8 today and there's no fetus inside something called a blighted ovum. i have to go back in a weeks time to be re scanned and then given tablets to get rid of the sac. thats if it doesn't happen naturally before then. i think i'm still in shock as i thought i haa urine infection and that it would be easily treated. i'm so scared of the next coming days what to expect etc,has anybody else been through this? xxx

Replies

• Options
    Honey I have not been through this although I did have an mc a few weeks ago. Don't really know anything about this but wanted to say hope you are ok and we are all here for you. I am sure someone will know the answer to your question xx
  • Options
    i'm so sorry to hear your news. when i was researching on the internet when i had my miscarriage (11 weeks, baby had died at 6 weeks) i did read that it is rare to have a blighted ovum again - just thought i would mention this to you in case you wanted to try again. mine wasn't a blighted ovum but i thought it was at first.

i appreciate the next week will be a difficult one - i had to wait a week for my second scan and it was horrible as i just wanted to start healing.

i had information on the tablets but i chose to have the ERPC operation instead. i'm sure there is someone on here who can explain the tablets to you - if no one has replied by tomorrow then i will find out my notes on the tablets for you and let you know what they said (have to go to bed now!)

i hope you have lots of support and can start grieving soon.

we're all here for you xx
  • Options
    so sorry to hear your news.
    i had a mc last monthbut didn't have a blighted ovum. i know someone at work had a blighted ovum about 15 years ago and she had two gorgeous girls afterwards. i had the tablets but they didn't work for me so i ended up having an erpc. i know tracy who has just had a mc (have a look at the recent posts) had the tablets and they worked for her so maybe she'd be able to give you more info on exactly what happens.

i hope you have lots of support and if you just want to talk, we are here.
    xxx
  • Options
    Thank you for your posts back. it's a scary time and it feels so cruel that it has to be dragged out. I'll have a look at Tracys posts. x
  • Options
    Hi tilly-jayne, Im sorry to hear your news. I also dont really know much about blighted ovums but just wanted to say that Ill be thinking of you xx
  • Options
    sorry to hear this i also had a blighted ovum just recently, found out at what should have been my 7 week scan check up as i also had some mild bleeding in th early weeks. the scan showed an empty sac and was told to come back the next wk for a rescan. next scan showed the sac had grown but was def empty. this was almost 3 weeks ago. i chose to have a d&c the next day as i wanted it over with as soon as poss. had hardly any pain or bleeding after though just a brown discharge which lasted for about 2 weeks. we were so upset at the 1st scan as it came as such a shock. will be trying again straight away so fingers crossed all goes well next well.
  • Options
    I had a blighted ovum and mc in February. I was truly devasted as well. Thankfully it was a one off, as I managed to get pg 3months after, but it wasn't for worry until my first scan and saw the yolk. Try not to worry as Mrs E says that it often doesn't happen two times in a row -and this is what kept me going after my mc.