Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

BFN - when should this happen? And EPU tomorrow -UPDATE

HI ladies,
Just wondering if you could help me. I am off to the EPU tomorrow for follow up scan (not exactly relishing the prospect!).
My question is this - what will happen? Will they just scan me and check that everything is gone? I think it's all over as I have had no spotting or bleeding since Sat night. I was 9 weeks when I mc'd. Would I now get a negative BFN?

We are going to wait at least a cycle before ttc again. At the moment the thought of it is still too terrifying and scary but I would like to know if it's all over or if my body still thinks it's pg.
I read on a post that if you have stopped bleeding then your hcg levels are prob normal. But I only bled for 4 days after my mc (I was bleeding for 10 days before my mc but saw hb 6 days before mc

Anyone got any idea what's likely to be happening? I just want to be prepared for tomorrow and have some idea what they may sa to me.
Thanks for all your continued support. I don't know what I would have done over the last 2 weeks without you all
xxxxx
:\?

[Modified by: MrsDAO on 26 February 2009 12:49:28 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hey MrsDao, i hope you are feeling better honey.
    Well, i am afraid that the follow up scan really depends on your doctor and whether you miscarried naturally or not.
    My doctor was not very supportive, i believe that in a follow up scan, you should get a vaginal ultrasound to make sure that there is nothing left in the uterus, i bled for 2 weeks after my D&C, then had my appointment where my doctor did absolutely nothing and i was upset. So i saw another doctor which was 3 weeks after my D&C, he took blood to measure my bHCG and made an ultrasound that showed i still had retained tissue, my bHCG was 11. It was not painful at all.

To make a long story short, i think an ultrasound is really important, as there might be still some tissue left, just to check that everything is alright.

I hope all goes well with you
    Love
    Renee x
  • Options
    Hi MrsDAO

I hope everything goes ok at your scan tomorrow.

They should do the scan to check for any retained tissue and at my EPU they continued to monitor my HCG levels until they were back to normal.

I don't think it's true that once you stop bleeding that your levels are back to normal because with my last mc I only had 2 heavy days of bleeding but my levels were still at 179 about a week after this and then a week later went down to 14. It can take a while for your levels to drop and usually depends on how far along you were.

After my first mc at 10 1/2 weeks it took over 5 weeks to get a BFN. So no, you may not get a negative test yet. I even continued to get NEW pregnancy symptoms whilst I was bleeding and mc'ing. Also retained tissue can make your body think it's still pregnant and produce symptoms.

But hopefully all will be clear for you tomorrow and you can concentrate on healing emotionally.

Take care, love NN xx
  • Options
    THANK YOU BOTH for sharing your experiences. I really just wantted to feel prepared for what lies in store.
    I think the thought of going back there where we got the bad news is making me nervous too and I find that having some info about what to expect helps me prepare.
    Hope you two are doing well. I'll be on tomorrow with a full report and about 100 more questions no doubt!!
    xxxxxx
  • Options
    Good luck MrsDAO. I really hope all goes well for you tomorrow. Let us know how you get on. I understand how you are feeling as I have my follow up scan on Monday.
    Good luck.

S
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi MrsDAO,
    Good luck for today. It is daunting going back to 'that place' again. I remember how I felt.
    They should do an internal scan. This is fine if you haven't had one. Just relax, it doesn't hurt at all and they give you a blanket to cover your lady bits! I never had blood taken but areas do vary. It took over a week to get a BFN after my ERPC last time I think. I don't think I will test this time though as I don't know when we will TTC again.
    Will be thinking off you today. Take care,
    Lilou x
  • Options
    Hello, i've not spoken to you before but I just wanted to say that I hope everything goes ok today. Knowing exactly what's happening can make you feel more in control and can bring a strange sense of relief from all the worrying.

Take care xx
  • Options
    Hello lovely ladies and thank you all for posting and thinking of me today.
    Just back from the EPU. I was a little bit upset to begin with as the scan was in the same room as last time but the staff were so kind and gentle with us. They did an external exam but said they could clearly see that all tissue had left, bleeding had healed and that the cervix had closed. Everything looks healthy and I should expect AF in the next 4 weeks. And that's it!

I have to say I feel SO much better now. I'm still feeling sad about my little bean being gone for good, and I miss being pg, but incredibly, weirdly I feel really positive about getting on with life and preparing for next time! Myself and OH are still very early in the process of coming to terms with what's happened but I can see some light at the end of this dark tunnel today. Maybe it's because the medical/physical part is now over?

I managed to go for a walk around the shops afterwards and it's the first time I've enjoyed myself since these problems started over 3 weeks ago. OH is gone back to work so I'm going to cook a nice meal and tidy up and be as ???????normal??????? as I can. I feel like I should make the most of this good mood as tomorrow may be different.

I hope you're all feeling ok today and I an thinking about us all today. I know we'll all get through this.
    Sending you all thanks and a hug!!
    xxxxxx
    p.s. Sorry for the long post - needed to try to explain how I'm feeling to someone!!!
  • Options
    Hi MrsDAO

Really glad to hear that all went well today and that you are feeling more positive. I think it really does help once the physcial side is over, as when it's all still happening it can be difficult to see an end or ever being able to move on. I guess it's one less thing to worry about.

Take care.
    Love and hugs, NN xxx
  • Options
    Hey MrsDAO,

Im so glad everything went ok for you today. You really do sound so positive, thats good. I suppose it helps to have that 'closure' that means you can try and get back to normality. I have my follow up scan on monday and I really hope that I come out being as positive as you are. You are great!!

S
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi MrsDAO,
    I am really pleased you are having a positive day. You deserve one after the last 3 wks! I think it does help you mentally to know everything is over with physically. You can start to just think about the emotional you.
    Don't apologise for long posts, I like to read how other people are feeling. It makes me feel 'normal' hearing that other people feel the same way as I do and also when I ramble on! lol
    Take care,
    Lilou x
  • Options
    MrsDAO - Im so glad it went ok today and you have taken a positive feeling from all this. I hope you continue to feel positive and can start to head towards that light. xxx