Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Missed Miscarriage

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some advice?
I found out yesterday morning that I have had a 'missed' misscarriage and really do not know what to do. Initally I thought I was further along in my pregancy as I have PCOS. I had a scan and all was well and we saw the babys heartbeat but I was only 5.4 weeks.
On Thursday afternoon, I had a bit of spotting so I called my midwife then went to the doctors who did an internal and told me that he thought everything would be okay as it was old blood (brownish) and my cervix are closed. However, following my trip to the doctors I had fresh blood and went to the hospital as advised by my midwife.
Unfortunately they would not scan me until yesterday so in the meantime was sent home under the intruction of bed rest. The bleed stopped then came back as old blood which continued until Friday evening. During the early hours of Monday morning the spotting was back and this time was fresh blood which stopped by the time I went for my scan at 9:15.

Now I have been given three options - sit it out and wait for it to 'come away' (due to the bleeding they think this will happen fairly quickly), take some tablets, go home for a couple of days, then go back into hospital for a day and have pesories to make it ' all come away' or have a D and C, Please can anyoone give me some advice or info on their experiences?

Emotionally, I'm kind of baring up (putting on a brave face) so I'm consdering sitting it out.

Many thanks

Donna

Replies

• Options
    Firstly i am so sorry for your loss.
    I had a mmc thought i was 13 weeks but baby stopped growing at 10 weeks, at first i was so upset i did not want to make a descision so went home thinking i would sit it out, i only had a small amount of spotting so it may have taken a while and after having more time to think about it i decided i did not want to put myself through it as i was not sure what to expect, so i had an erpc which i think is the same as d & c which was pretty much painless and i was home the same afternoon. Had to rest for 48 hours and felt a little tender but apart from that the physical side to it was ok.
    It was the best option for me but everyone is different, you need to go with what feels right for you.
    Hope it all goes ok sending you lots of hugs. XX
  • Options
    I had a missed miscarriage 2 years ago when it had died at 8wks, but I didn't know until 11wks.Unlike you I wasn't given the option but had to go home to just pass it naturally then go back for a further scan 2 days after I'd stopped bleeding to check it was 'complete'. I found it quite trumatic as by that time I could see the cord, sack everything and that has stayed with me, but I felt that it helped me to grieve for my baby. I didn't think that so much at the time and was felt unhappy and angry that the hospital sent me home. When I had my 2nd miscarriage I was only 6wks and to be honest it was just like a heavy period. Take care and look after yourself, it will take time.xxx
  • Options
    Hi Donna
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    I had a MMC in july at 11wks, I'd had brown spotting so was sent for a scan. They found 2 sacs but they only measured 8wks. I was told to go back a week later as they wanted to check that my dates weren't wrong. The day after I started bleeding so when I went back for the scan thought they would say everything was gone but the sacs were still there & still only measured 8wks.
    Even though I was bleeding they said I needed help to MC, I was scared to have a d&c so chose pessareies. Unfortunatelty they didn't work for me so I ended up having a d&c which went really well & wasn't as scarey as I thought.
    I was told pessaries work for some people & not for others, for me they didn't work but they might for you.
    I'm here if you need to talk.
    Take Care
    Helen x x
  • Options
    Hi all

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. It's nice to hear from people that have been through the same image
    I have to call the hospital in the morning to let them know what I want to go but have said I can change my mind at any time. I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.

Thanks again,

Donna xx
  • Options
    i had a mmc in aug '03,i went for my normal 12week scan,
    i saw my baby on the screen and then the woman said, your baby has died, i couldnt belive it, my baby had died at 8weeks they think.
    they shuved me in a side room and gave me 3 options, wait for mc to happen naturely, take some pills to make it happen sooner or go and have a d&c,
    i took the tablets and went home. it took 2 days to start bleeding and i ended up bk in hospital for some pain relif.
    it is nice to here from people who have been thru the same as me, as no one i know has had a mmc
    xxxx

• Options
    I think that's the worst thing they tell you... they said mine did not live much longer after the scan I had at 5.4 weeks, maybe a week or so. I wish they hadn't of done that as personally, I think knowing you have lost the baby is enough!

I've called the hospital this morning and I'm going in tomorrow to take the tablets. Will only be there an hour tomrrow then I can come home until Saturday. On Saturday I'll be going in for the day and as long as all goes to plan will be home for the evening image
    xx
  • Options
    yes it dusnt help them telling you,
    will be thinking of you 2moz hun xx

• Options
    hi sorry for your loss.i had a mc in november and had the 3 options,to start with i said i would see if it came away on its own,as i was spotting.then after a few days i just wanted it to b out coz you still feel pregnant but no your baby has died.so i had a d&c.
    as we wanted to try again i also thort if i waited it wud take longer 4 us to try again and least you no everything has gone and you are more fertile after a d&c.
    I had a period straight away after the d&c and my cycle went bk to normal and we are trying again now.
    hope everything goes ok .x
  • Options
    Hi
    First I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a d&c in October as my baby had died at 7 weeks. We only found out at the 12 week scan. Unlike you I wasn't offered any option but the d&c (only the nurse told me quietly that I didn't have to listen to the doc and I could wait for it to pass naturally if I wanted...) But for me the d&c was the best option. I just wanted to put it all behind me, at least physically. The op was really painless and I had hardly any bleeding and no pain at all afterwards. The wait at the hospital and the thought of the anestetics was the worst part for me. I have no regrets as far as the D&C was concerned though. My period was back 28 days to the day after the op and I just found out that I am pregnant again so it did not affect me physically. I would say just go for what you are most comfortable with. I hope it all works out for you. Let us know. Love, Lola XXX
  • Options
    Hi all

Thank you for all of your responses. I had the tablets on Thursday and on Friday night the contractions started. It was awful as it lasted for 24 hours and I lost a lot of blood. The baby came away at home so by the time I went to the hospital I was just bleed and passing clots. (thankfully although I knew it was it, I could not make out a baby as it was still in the sac etc...). After I left the hospital Saturday evening, the placenta came away - which was a bit of a shock as the nurse advised me she believed I would have passed everything - despite getting contractions every half an hour! Thankfully these stopped after that. Feeling rough because of the blood loss.
    Overall it was pretty horrific experience so I would definately advise anyone to have a D&C.
    It is awful to know you have lost a baby - let alone go through that.
    Love Donna xx