Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

early scan

i only joined on here a few days ago, didnt thik id be writing bad news today. had what should have been an 8 week scan ystrdy and was told my pregnancy sac is empty. it measures at the moment 21mm (not sure what this means) but they want to wait tilll 25mm to say for def that the pregnancy is non viable. but that it does not look good. have to go back next week for this. was absolutely devastated. i then have 3 options. wait for nature to take its course, which i dont want to do as its not worked v well so far. have what would be the same as having an abortion or to have a surgical procedure to remove everything. i already know that i will want the surgical route as its over with in a day although i will bleed for a while after. the thougt of having this epty sac inside me that should have my baby in it is actually quite horrible.

Replies

• Options
    berly
    please, please don't despair just yet. easier said than done but if the hospital want to wait then they must think there's a chance that the sac's not empty. how come you had an early scan? sometimes it's just too early to see everything.
    thinking of you honey, try to rest and put your feet up. xxx
  • Options
    had an early scan as had bleeding at 4 weeks. thought it was my normal period then did pg test the following wk and got a positive result. went to the docs a few days later to tell him i was worried about the bleeding as i should be pg and he said he would book the scan for me. had to wait a few weeks so that they had a better of chance of seeing something or not as the case seems to be. had only just started trying so was not expecting to get pg so quickly. but was absolutely thrilled with the news. h2b was so excited to be going for the scan as we honestly thought that we would be seeing our baby.
  • Options
    Hi Berly,

I'll keep everything crossed for you that there is a little bean in there. It is devastating gogin for the scan and the doubt being there. I had what was meant to be my 12 wk scan on Weds and little one didn't make it past 8 weeks.

There is still a chance, perhaps you concieved a little later than you intitially thought?

I've just been through the ERPC yesterday so can share how i went for me, if that is the route you end up taking if little bean is no longer there.

I hope it all works out for you.

Rachxxx
  • Options
    berly i'm so sorry to hear your news. there are a fair few of us on here who have been through something similar.
    i went for a private scan at 9.5 weeks but they too couldn't see anything in the sac, which was measuring 7.5 weeks, but didn't rule it out in case my dates were slightly wrong. i went back a week later and an internal scan showed the baby had died at 6, and i had ERPC on the day i would have been 11 weeks. i too knew i wanted the ERPC straight away, even though i was scared as i had never been in hospital or had operation before. i just wanted it to be over with as i didn't like the thought of carrying on.
    i hope that this coming week will give you time to start grieving. it was a tough week for me but i was as prepared as i could be for when they told me the following week the pregnancy was over. i hope you have lots of support - we are all here for you.

of course i hope that you get good news next week but i also know it is difficult to know what to feel whilst you are waiting.

we're all here for you, big hugs xxx
  • Options
    am so sorry for everyone that has had similar experience to mine. your kind words at this time truly mean a lot to me. i hope that in the future we all get the happy news that we deserve.
  • Options
    i was so surprised when i realised how often this happened, especially as no-one in my family (and i come from quite a big one) had ever had a miscarriage. until i came on here i had no idea how common they are. it's no consolation but loads of people are in the same boat and we can support each other.
    i too hope to read some happier stories soon! take care, berly. xxx
  • Options
    am feeling so sad today, cant stop the tears from falling. first time i have been on my own since i had the scan on friday.
  • Options
    oh hun i really feel for you. i was the same. i found that once i had the second scan i did cry a lot but i was (sort of) glad that i'd had a week to start to come to terms with it. we're all here for you xxxx
    ps if it is bad news when you go for your scan, read my topic on "just an idea" - just in case it helps you, as it has helped me and some others
  • Options
    Oh berly i am so so sorry that your scan didn't go well, it is absolutely devastating to be told this when all you want to hear is that your baby is fine. Maybe your dates are slightly out and there's a chance that it will be ok. But if this is not to be then make sure you have lots of support around you.

I went for a private scan at 9 weeks to be told that our baby had died at 6 weeks, i had an erpc which was definately the best option for me.

I really hope that you get the news you want, but we are all here for you if you need our support. Try to take your mind off things - very hard i know - but maybe get a nice hot cuppa and put your feet up and watch a dvd. Take care, big hugs. Nat xx
  • Options
    hi, just to tell you i had a scan at 8 weeks and told baby had died and was size of a 6week pull???, was offered the tabs that day or to let nature take its course. good job i did'nt take the tabs cos two weeks later when nothing had happened went back for scan and there was a healthy baby 11 weeks, nothing wrong at all. i'm now 31 weeks pregnant. just wrote on the pregnancy forum bout it cos dont know if i should complain or not, how hard could it have been to see the baby if it was there and healthy and i was 9 weeks when he said it had died? just makes you think what if? so dont think the worst yet they could be wrong!!