Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Miscarriage at 16 wks im a wreck

The title says it all im a mess and cant stop crying and the worst bit is I hate myself because just before finding out I had considered an abortion (I wrote a long post on here which I have now deleted as I am so ashamed of how I felt) as I was suffering with horrendous hyperemesis and depression. I cant forgive myself for my thoughts and am tormenting myself with the fact that I had no feelings for my baby whilst I was pregnant and now all I want is to rescue my bean and protect it and love it like I was supposed to and I cant.

How do I get through this Im so lost

Replies

• Options
    oh honey i'm so sorry to hear of ur loss.

I do remember ur post about hypermesis but i didn't reply as it bought back a few home truths as i had the same and felt the same.

i know its hard not to but please don't torture uself over what u had felt this isn't what caused ur mc.
    i know u probably didn't feel like u loved ur baby but from the way u've writen ur post it very much sounds like u did....sometimes we just don't realise how special what we have is until we loose it.

Take time to grieve for ur baby....get angry, shout, scream, cry do what ever u need to get through this horrible time.

Make sure u talk to ppl around u or us but don't cope with this on ur own sweetheart.

My thoughts r with u and mr bubbles and if u need to talk we're all here 4 u.

Love jen
    xxxxxxx
  • Options
    thankyou lilac* I am so ashamed of what I wrote. (I changed my name on here partly because I was so ashamed but also because we called our baby bubbles as the doctors wouldn't tell me if it was a boy or girl) I felt I needed to say goodbye and acknowledge our baby that we had seen dancing on the scan screen.

We sent a balloon into the sky with a message to our bubbles with a poem attached which has helped me considerably but I still cant get over my grief for a baby I couldn't protect. I feel like such a failure.

My hubby and I have agreed not to try again for a year as we have a lot of healing to do but part of me craves to feel my baby inside me again and another part of me is terrified.

The minute my baby was removed the hyperemesis went out like a light switch and part of me feels like someone played a massive trick on me even though I remember being in hopsital on a drip I cant remember how awful I felt because this is so much worse.
  • Options
    oh sweetheart please don't feel like a failure u r not!!!

ur tribute to baby bubble was lovely!!

i know what it feels like to feel like you should have protected this baby from harm as i lost a baby in dec following a car crash, it is a mothers natural instinct to protect their child and even thou u may not have felt like u were a mother or doubted ur love for ur bubble u became one the moment u concieved and will remain 1- u r bubbles' mummy.

As for trying again that is a decision you have to make with mr bubble we started the following month after our mc as we felt ready but every1 is different and if it helps thou my hypermesis was awful with my dd i had no sign of it with our bean in dec and had it from the beginning with dd.

Take things easy honey u'll know when the time is right to try again and i know its a big cliche and i hated ppl saying it to me but time is a great healer.

xxxx
  • Options
    Oh lilac* im sorry to hear about your mc in dec.

Has your hyperemesis gone now? The doctors think that all the medication I was on because og the HG may have played a part in my babys heart stopping but we wont ever know.

I think time will be a great healer although currently I dont see any light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    My hypermesis was with my dd who is now 2.5yrs old so definatly gone!! it lasted till i was about 13/14 weeks then just stayed as "normal morning sickness" till aound 20 weeks then just stopped!

Oh honey i'm sorry if that was the case 4 ur baby's heart beat stopping thats awful, i never knew the full risks 4 of medications to help but i'm lucky that mine ended well.

U will see the light eventually, it'll take time but u'll see it and then they'll be days when it gets a bit further away again but it gets easier i promise.
    xxx
  • Options
    ooopss sorry lilac* for some reason I thought you were pg again currently. sorry I'll remove my size 7's image

Yeah my hyperemesis was just starting to ease off and I was just feeling sick all day but managing not to be which was so much better and its what stopped me going to the clinic because I started to see things differently although still felt very very scared.

good luck TTC i hope it happens soon for you x
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss I can't imagine what you are going through as I have never experienced a miscarriage, but I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and my heart goes out to you at the difficult time. Time is a good healer and so is talking, look after yourself and your loved ones at this time and DON'T blame yourself.
  • Options
    aww sweetie, please dont blame yourself. I had a m/c at 16 weeks in may 2003. my pregnancy was completely unplanned and i was not happy at all, I really didnt think I wanted the baby and that wasnt helped when like you I suffered from horrendous all day sickness. When I went for my 16 week check up with the midwife I had a feeling something was not right, she couldnt find a heart beat and a scan confirmed that our baby girl had died. I was devastated and blamed myself for not thinking I wanted her in the first place and I really felt like I would never get over it. I have now come to terms with it and honestly it really does get easier to live with.

Do you have a follow up appointment to find out why the m/c happened, sometimes that may help with the guilty feelings. I had an appointment which showed mine was a partial molar pregnancy where 2 sperm fertilise 1 egg but it doesnt divide to make twins any the baby ends up with 69 chromosomes.

Nothing you thought or did would have made any difference to what happened so please try not to beat yourself up about it. Look after yourself and take time to grieve. Big hugs xxx
  • Options
    i'm so sorry to hear your news. just to let you know i'm thinking of you and i hope you have lots of support. xxx

ps as the others say, do not blame yourself xxx
  • Options
    Hi Hayley I,

Too answer your post I dont have a follow up appointment. When I asked the doctors if they would be able to tell me what happened to the baby I was told they wouldn't be doing an autopsy as its apparantly just one of those things!!! so I will never know why. I was really upset about this as I thought I should be able to find out what happened.

The only possible reasons I have been given is that I was so dehydrated constantly that our baby wasn't getting what it needed from me and also the amounts of many different types of medication I was taking for the hyperemesis could have played a role. At last count I had 12 different types of medication either orally/ by IV/ by IM or in suppositry form which Im sure cannot have been good for the baby but I thought the doctors new best and never thought I would have been given stuff that could potentially harm.

I also wanted to be told what sex our baby was but they said they couldn't tell me - is that normal for them not to say?

Part of me feels like I cant close the book on this because of all of the un-answered questions that wont ever be answered. I hope in time I will be able to not question everything that happened but currently It worries me because what if next time I need those medications - im going to be terrified the same will happen.

Its all so confusing.
  • Options
    I was given an appointment 6 weeks after we had lost our baby which really helped a great deal, they couldnt actually do a post mortem on the baby as she had been dead for a couple of weeks and they didnt think they would get any tissue to be able to tell but they said that they could use tissue from the placentato try to establish what had happened. They did say at the time that the baby looked like a girl but it was difficult to say at such an early stage, this was confirmed at the check after 6 weeks.

I would have thought that the medication they gave you is safe in pregnancy otherwise they wouldnt give it, I'm sure there are thousands of women who have had that medication with no effect on their baby. Can you speak to your g.p. to find out why you havent had a follow up as I was told it was routine with a late m/c as it is often easier to establish a cause after 12 weeks.

I know its easy to say but try not to worry too much about next time. I was so ill with our little girl, I was literally throwing up all day then waking in the night to be sick, I dont think there was a day in that 16 weeks where I wasnt sick at least 3 times but when i had my 3 year old I wasnt sick at all so I spent the whole of the first 12 weeks worrying that something was wrong because I wasnt feeling sick.

Can you try to speak to a consellor just to vent your feelings and talk to someone who isnt involved. I really feel for you at the moment because I know how heartbreaking it is for you, all I can say is cry shout or do whatever it takes and believe me it really does get easier but it also takes time. big hugs xxxx