Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Miscarriage or chem PG? TMI sorry!

I know this might sound strange but I had an experience about 8 years ago that I'd like to understand.

After my period was over a week late and having lots of pregnancy symptoms I did a HPT which was positive, I went to the doctors a week or so later and they did a test. When they got the result back they said they weren't sure! They repeated the test twice and came back with the same conclusion, after the 3rd attempt they said that they didn't think I was pregnant. Very helpful, I know!!!

A few days later I began to bleed, quite badly and felt sick with cold sweats and pain (like period pain but worse). I just laid on the bathroom floor for a couple of hours until the pain/bleeding subsided and the next day I returned to normal. A couple of weeks later, I guess when AF was due, I started bleeding again, very badly and had a lot of pain, this went on for a few hours and again subsided. This time, I went to doctors the next morning and he removed something and showed me. He called it a "product of intercourse". I then had to go for a scan to see if anything was left, it wasn't and nothing else happened, I continued my life.

Please don't feel sorry for me, at the time I wasn't looking to be pregnant and have never suffered emotionally. I apologise if this offends anyone, I really don't mean it to.

As I have now just started ttc I would really like to understand what happened, was this a miscarriage, a chem preg or something else? I would really appreciate your help, thanks ever so much.

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    I just logged on in my lunch hour to put a post on asking a question about chemical pregnancies and saw yours!
    I have been having a look at when is an end to a pregnancy classed as a chemical pregnancy and when does it turn in to a miscarriage? I have had 1 miscarriage at 10 wks and am worried about another, but didn't know much about what they classed as each. As far as I could tell on the internet anything before 6 wks was classeds as a chemical pregnancy. Although it was a bit confusing as it said that a chemical pregnancy was caused when they embryo didn't implant, and thought the embryo implanted 7-10 days after fertilisation which would take it to approx 5wks?
    It sounds like your was a chemical pregnancy as they diagnos this by taking bloods to see if your levels drop quickly following a positve test by urine or blood. This is why they were probably being vague and taking several tests to see if it continued dropping.
    Hope that helps, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows more about this.
    Lilou x
  • Options
    Hi ya
    im not sure but i really wouldnt think you would have that much pain if it was a chemical pregnancy? i had m/c at 6 weeks and was told its as it was so early i probably wouldnt get much more bleeding or pain (altogether i didnt have any pains worse than what i usually get on first day of af and bleeding wasnt heavy really) i had scan so it was definatly a m/c but it was almost all gone. I would say you had a miscarriage and were probably a bit further than 5 or 6 weeks.obviously im not a doctor but from what i know and/or have read it doesnt sound like chem preg to me.
    charlie x
  • Options
    Charlie & Lilou,

Thanks ever so much for your replies, I really do appreciate your kind words and wisdom! Reading between the lines, I'm pretty sure I had a miscarriage, when the first bleeding/pain occurred I would definitely have been over 6 weeks pregnant. The pain was quite intense and I can still remember it well on both occasions. When the second bleed/pain happened and the cells removed, I think I would have been 10 weeks pregnant. Has anyone else had cells removed?

It's really only now that my mind has started thinking about this again because we are ttc and as I'm 36, I'm a little worried about my age. I just discovered that my mum had a few miscarriages too before having any children, which obviously leaves me a little worried.

Anyway thanks again, I really do appreciate your help, xx
  • Options
    Hi again,
    Sorry I must have misread your post rushing at lunch! I thought you had said you were only a week late when you had your bleed. If you were 10 wks it would definately be classed as a miscarriage. I'm not sure on the cells he removed though. I had an ERPC (evacuation of retained products of conception) which is an op they perform under a general anaesthetic and is much the same as a D&C as I had a missed miscarriage meaning I didn't ever haemorrahage and they didn't discover that the baby heart had stopped until the dating scan. So they had to manually remove everything (pretty grim).:cry:
    I too am in my 30's and so can understand your concerns. I would discuss it with your Dr. I haven't any experience in knowing whether or not maternal miscarriages have any bearing on you.
    I am sure you willl be fine though as my Dr is always very reassuring saying she has delivered 100s of healthy babies to women in their 30s and 40s. I know it can be still difficult not to worry though!
    lilou x
  • Options
    Thanks ever so much for your kind words Lilou, I really am grateful. My mind has been eased slightly, thank you.

I'm so sorry to read of your situation, that must have been heart-breaking for you and your OH. I hope you get a BFP soon, my thoughts are with you xx
  • Options
    Hi, i done a lot of looking up when i had my ectopic as first off i was told it was chem then complete mc anyway nearly all said anything upto & including 5 weeks was chem pg which really is medical lingo for very early mc. these quite often occur & the woman doesnt ever know about it so i would say you had a mc past 5 weeks. There is one of the girls on here who was still having pain after she was told she mc & the doc had to remove part of it which had gotten stuck behind her cervix & couldnt quite make its way out perhaps that was similar what happened to you.

i think aswell i read hcg is not released in sufficient enough quantities to trigger a hpt until it implants thats just from memory so would not swear to that.

best of luck TTC!!

K.xx