Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Going back to work after MC

I had an ERPC last Tuesday following a MMC/ molar preg scare (still waiting on results which is adding to my stress). I just wondered how long other people stayed off work after similar experiences? The doctor at the hospital said she signs people off for 2 weeks routinely but I was initially quite surprised it was so long although now am glad as nearly a week in I am only just coming through the exhaustion and now entering a really low stressed phase. I have read that people have gone back after only a few days and don't want people at work to think that I am just skiving - I certainly don't really feel up to it but then I don't feel up to anything so is not surprising!

Thanks for you help and sorry to anyone who is going through similar things as it is so horrible image

Replies

• Options
    Hi Debbie
    sorry you have had a rough time recently, I had ectopic and surgery so my situation re returning to work is different - I went back after 4 weeks and deffinitely needed time physically and emotionally - I guess it partly depends on the work you do and what your work colleagues are like -
    sorry not much of an answer but guess see how you feel after the end of this week - I found it helpful in a way not to be sitting at home thinking too much
    all the best
    daisyx
  • Options
    Aww hun x so sorry that you are going through this, i had a miscarriage in march and was booked in for an ERPC but my body lost the baby before i had it so it wasnt needed. I also had two weeks off and was hoping to go in before that but ended up taking it all off.
    I think you should take as long as you need, only you will know when your ready to go back x
    You and your body has been through a very traumatic experience and you need to give it time to heal x Noone will think that you are skiving x take your time x
  • Options
    Hi I had an ERPC as well. Initially I had a week off, then went to my dr and said emotionally I wasn't ready to go back. So had 2 weeks total.

Physically you recover reasonably quickly, apart from bleeding. But emotionally it can take a little longer. xx
  • Options
    Hi I had an ERPC last month. I am a SAHM so I didn't have time off work but I think I would have needed 2 weeks if I was still at work and I don't think that people will be suprised at you having that length of time. My DH had 3 days off with me (day booked for the scan anyway where we had the bad news, then next two days for the ERPC - then it was weekend and he looked after our lo as I stayed in bed mostly) - so that was the first week really. Then I didn't really do anything the next week I am usually at mums and tots groups etc every day. I got mates to come round to us with their kids instead. I didn't feel like being part of the real world for two weeks.
    You need to take as long as you need.
    Take care of your self.
  • Options
    I took two weeks and really needed it, mine was over christmas and new year which didn't help, but everyone at work was lovely when I went back xxx