Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

miscarrige at 20 weeks

Hi

I had a miscarrige last year at 8 weeks. I fell pregnant again this feb and in July (20weeks) found out our baby's heart beat had stoopped. I was shocked as thought i had got passed the danger period. I gave birth to our beautiful baby daughter 15th July this year, on friday we are going back to the hospital to find out the results of the pm. i am worried in case there is anything wrong. we have no children and were so looking forward to having a baby. has anyone else had a miscarige this late in the pregnancy and did you go on to have more children. i know our daughter can't be replaced but i would love to have some more children. i will never forget her.

Replies

• Options
    Hi i havn't experienced what your going through i just wanted to say i'd read you msg & i was thinking of you xo
  • Options
    Hi
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

A friend of mine lost 2 babys, 1 at 5mth, 1 at 7mth both little boys.
    She was told they had a condition were the babys brain doesn't develop but could only be detected late on in the pregnancy.
    Well she already had a little girl who was fine so they thought it was something to do with boys. So when she fell preg last year & they found out it was fine she thought well it must be a girl. But no she had a very healthy little boy.
    I just wanted to share that with you I hope it gives you some hope for the future.
    Take Care
    Love Helen
  • Options
    Thanks Cloclo thanks really sweet of you. your baby looks very cute.
    thanks Helen it has given me hope as when you go through a miscarrige you think it won't happen again and when we lost our little girl it was dificult but we did have the chance to hold her and say goodbye which was a true blessing. i have photos of her and lots of lovely memories. it is hard to knoe whats going to happen and when i am pregnant again i don't want to be worried through the whole pregnancy as i do want to enjoy it but i know its going to be difficult. thanks again for your replies. x
  • Options
    I cant imagine what you'v been through, I was 11wks when I had a mmc.
    Its nice you got to see your baby & have photos so she'll always be apart of you.

I'm worried how I'll cope nxt time I'm preg but if I want a baby I'm going to have to cope with what ever happens.

I hope you get some answers at the hsp.

Love Helen
  • Options
    Hi aa.. very sorry to hear your news.. must have been a terrible shock. I alwys thought there was less chance of m/c after 14 weeks. Hope you dont mind me asking you, but when they told you at the 20 week scan baby had died, did they tell you how many weeks you were when it happened, im just guessing it must have been before the day of the scan. I have had a mmc , but found out at 10 week scan, so not as far as you, but im pg again, and although scan was fine at 10 weeks, i still worry that i wont get to the 20 week scan.
    Hope you are ok, and im sure you will be a happy mum soon.
    caz xx
  • Options
    Hi aa, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and wish you peace and happiness in the future. My friend's mum had two miscarriages at 20 weeks. She went on to have a healthy baby boy. I hope you have a successful full term pregnancy in the future, as you sound as if you would make a lovely mum. x
  • Options
    hi, i had a m/c at 16 weeks and have since had 2 children, never give up hope. xx
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your messages. Caz i think i was more shocked as i hadn't gone to the hospital for a scan i was seeing the consultant about my back and getting referred to see if i would need a c section. my mum came with me and i asked if we could hear the heart beat as my mum hadn't heard it. i was at the midwife 6 days before and heard the heart beat. so when the consultant listened she said she thought she heard the baby move but just to be sure she would have a scan done.

it was then that they discovered that our little girls heart had stopped. they said that it was unusual to have a miscarrige so late but i just want to be able to relax if i get pregnant again but i know its going to be so difficult.

we may find out why when we go to the hospital but they also said we may never know.

thank you for all your encouragement re having another baby it seems at the moment it will never happen, but deep down i know i will.

going back to work was one of the hardest things i had to do it was so hard having to face people but then it is also hard as now everyone treats you like nothing has happened. i still have the cards we got up around the room as when i come home i know we did have a little girl and she is real.

• Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your little girl.

I just wanted to add that my cousin lost a baby in between 13 and 20 weeks, finding out at the 20 week scan and she now has a healthy 4 year old. Also I know of someone else who lost her little boy at 16 weeks and is now 20-21 weeks pregnant and doing well. Please don't give up hope for the future
  • Options
    Kia thanks for your email it is lovely to hear that people have gone on to have other children. it does give me hope thank you
  • Options
    Hi
    I just wanted to say that I just had a missed miscarriage and yet I never thought it would happen to me as I have had 2 normal pregs before. So it does not have to always go wrong. Of course now I don't know what to do because like all of you I am wondering wether it' s going to happen again if I try for another baby. But I have read about so many women who have had both healthy pregs and miscarriages that we must believe next time WILL be OK. So good luck to all of you and don't give up....Lots of Luv...
  • Options
    Hi
    Just wanted to say thank you for all your support. we have just found out that we are having a baby only 5 weeks so early days but so happy can't help being anxious though good thing is that they are going to be keeping a close eye on me.

Thinking of you all

Ann:\)
  • Options
    HI Ann, congratulations on the preg and hoping everything goes well for you. It is hard moving on and you must be scared but chances are definately in your favour this time xxxx
  • Options
    Hi Camlo

Thank you so much i am still in shock but am determined to try my best not to worry seems such a dream to have a baby after to MC but here goes.
  • Options
    Congratulations on being pregnant again! Fingers crossed for you!

I just wanted to say my friend had a still born baby at 38 weeks in January of this year, they went for the results of the post mortem etc and it came back that there was no reason and "it was just one of those things". This didn't help her very much though and she decided to try to get pregnant again straight away, sure enough she fell pregnant again and is not 30 weeks and everything is going good, they aren't going to let her get to 38 weeks this time though, she is to be induced at 37 weeks which is putting her mind at rest. I just wanted to tell this story so you know there is hope after losing a baby. I also lost a baby last year and there was no reason for it and I am now 39+3!

• Options
    Hi

Yvonne thank you for sharing with me re your friend i wish her and you all the best for these pregnancies.

Thank you Helen for letting me know what you have been through i can understand hwat you are going through to its such a shock, i never felt Grcae move so had no idea there was anything wrong and you never thing the worst happens to you. I hope you had a good expoerience at the hospital mine were fantastic and et me have photos and feet print etc. I will be thinking of you all on Monday. if you want to share then you know where i am.

Our results showed there was nothing wrong which in some way is lovely for the baby i am carrying now.

Take care

Ann x
  • Options
    hi helen

Ah it sounds such a special experience for you and i think that is so important. Th funeral you planned for Callum sounds so full of love for him and shows howmuch you loved and cared for him and how much he is a parts of your family.

Hope the appointment went ok if you feel up to it i would love to hear how it went

Ann x
  • Options
    Hi Helen

Im so pleased that everything went well. I am now nearly 9 weeks pregnant and have a scan due next week i have been on asprin as soon as we found out as like you they want to ensure that the placenta is working well.

Would love to hear how you are getting on

Ann x
  • Options
    Hi Helen

I hope everything is going well it sounds like it is and they are keeping a close eye on you

I have my first scan tomorrow at 9.5 weeks i am nervous as i just want everything to be ok

Ann
  • Options
    Hi

Scan went well although they have seen a hernia but say it is common and usually sorts itself out but they are going to scan me again in 3 weeks. baby was moving around and waving it was very emotional.

hope today went ok for you

Ann x