Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

which option to choose....... any help appreciated.

Hi all,

i wonder if you could help me. Ive basically been told today that ive had a miscarraige but i have to go back for another next week, this will be the third scan. They will then be in a position to officially say its a miscarraige. At that point i need to make my decision. Naturally, medically or surgically.

I was wondering what options you chose,would you recomend that option and what was your recovery time?

Just a little bit about me, my first child was stillborn at 25weeks in july i bled for 10 weeks. I found out i was pregnant again at xmas and sadly this isnt ment to be. Im not sure if i could go through the narural option or medical on the other hand i dont like the idea of the surgical.

Any info or thoughts you could give would be great.

Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    Hey honey I'm so sorry to hear what you have had to go through honey x you really have had a lot of heart ace!

I had a bit of spotting at nine weeks a scan showed there was no heartbeat but they like you asked me to come back in a week so they could confirm! I opted for medical option as after the week I still hadn't started to bleed and I felt like I was hanging in limbo! Ask as mean questions as you can when you go back ask what they think your best option would be! I had a lovely midwife who said if you were my daughter this is what I'd suggest you do and it kind of put my mind at rest and made me feel at ease!

If you want to know any more just ask I don't kind answering any questions x
  • Options
    Oh pet, im so sorry you are having to go through this. Life is just not fair. I had a natural mc about 8 months ago and it lasted for over 2 weeks. I wouldnt ever wish to experience that again. I agree with wanabama above. Whatever you decide I wish you well and hope that you get what you wish for soon xx
  • Options
    sorry to hear you have lost another baby, it is a heartbreaking exp.

I had a natural miscarriage this timelast year which lasted about a week, I was only about 6 weeks.

I then suffered my second mc at 12 weeks, they realised baby had stopped growing at 9 1/2 weeks.

In my honest opinion I would recommend the surgery, this is what I did as I didnt want to feel any pain and wanted it to be over with. I bled for about a week afterward and got my first AF a month later - although they are quite heavy now I know it was the best decision for me to take.

With what you have been through previously only you can decide if you can do that again.....take your time to think about it and you will decide what is right and all the girls are here if you need to chat more.

Love

Joy

xxx
  • Options
    Hi, sorry to hear about your losses.

I found out on the 21st december after some spotting that my bean had stopped growing at 6 weeks I was 10 weeks or should have been. As everything was so small and smaller than expected they made me have a repeat scan a week later. At that scan nothing had changed but I'd had no further spotting and it looked like my body wasn't going to work it out. I decided to opt for medical management as I didn't want a general anaesthetic and I didn't want to wait for it to happen naturally.

I went back 29th december to take the tablets, had those in hospital then went home. By the time I'd got home I'd started to lightly bleed, and about 3 hours later the cramping started which lasted about 2.5 hours (they sent me home with co-codamol). After that I passed everything and bled heavily, for me it came in floods which the pads couldn't cope with, but the doctor had warned me it might happen that way. After 2 hours of heavy heavy bleeding things settled down to a heavy period type bleed and I'm now 2 weeks on and I just have brown discharge that is managed with panty liners. I have to do a repeat preg test tomorrow and hopefully it will be negative, if its a positive it means that some placenta has been left behind and I'll have to go back.

Sorry if that was too much information, I've tried to be honest. Its not pleasant but it was the right choice for me. You really need to be prepared for the bleeding and obviously you will be aware and maybe even seeing what you are passing. If you can cope with that then you'll be fine. If you'd rather not see or be an active part of whats happening then surgical is the way forward.

So sorry again for your losses.

kish x
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. I still have no idea what ime going to do, Im back at the hospital on tuesday so i think ill see how i feel then. The mw recomended the surgical route after what we had been through. After giving birth i bled for 10 weeks and passed quite a lot of tissue so i kind of know what to expect but im scared of it and what the pain would be like and i dont know if i could go through all that again.
  • Options
    in my honest opinion I think because you have been through this before you should opt for the anaestetic...not only for the physical side but also for the emotional side. it is so hard to comes to terms with i feel like you would be helping yourself have some closure.

I hope that doesnt sound bad of me or harsh as it isnt meant to, I just think you have been through so much already with your previous loss that mentally this will help you, but only you can make that decision.

good luck with whatever you decide and all us girls are here for you whenever you need us

xx
  • Options
    Joy im thinking the same. What i went through in july was much harder than this and i think mentally it will be too much. I think it will take me back. Dont get me wrong im not saying this is nothing i dont mean that. And i dont think your being harsh xxx i hope i didnt upset anyone xx
  • Options
    no you have not upset anyone, we are all here to offer our thoughts and opinions and you take away from this what you will.

it is hard enough to come to terms with losing a baby no matter how far along you are, I hope that all goes as well as it can do and take your time.

thinking of you

xxx
  • Options
    Hi all just to let you know i went back for my scan on tues and they confirmed it was a delayed miscarriage.

I opted for the surgical management and had the surgery yesterday. I definatly this it was the best option for me. I do feel like ive been hit with a truck today but ill be fine soon.

Thank you all for your support xx
  • Options
    Hi missnelly, i'm not sure why I didn't reply on your thread, i mustn't have seen it for some reason, sorry. I think you've done the best thing by going for surgery, especially with what you've already had to go through. I've had the surgery twice and it was definately best for me as I couldn't have handled the possibility of seeing anything and surgery took care of that for me.

I'm so sorry you've had to go through this, especialy after losing your baby earlier in the year, life is just too cruel sometimes. At least now you've had the op you can try and get your body back together quicker than maybe any of the other two options would have allowed. After my first I bled for 3 weeks but the pain only lasted a day or so. With my second I think I only bled for about a week, I forget now as I tried to put it out of my mind but i'm sure it wasn't as long as the first. My periods came back pretty much straightaway, I wonder if this was down to the fact i'd had the op. Anyway, hopefully your body will get back to normal, just relax over the next few days now. You've been through a horrible ordeal so make sure someone is waiting on you hand and foot for a while.

Again, i'm so so sorry for your losses xx
  • Options
    Thank kwn, hubby is trying to wait on me but the only think he can cook is toast!!
  • Options
    sorry to hear what you going through. hope you can try and stay strong thinking of you x
  • Options
    sorry to hear what you going through. hope you can try and stay strong thinking of you x
  • Options
    Thank you xx

Im quite positive at the moment so im hoping pma sticks around for a bit xx
  • Options
    hi nelly, pleased that you are doing ok and I do believe you chose the right option. physically you will heal and mentally you will learn to accept that sometimes life can be so cruel to us, but we get stronger as each day passes

wishing you luck for the future

xx
  • Options
    I hope you are feeling a little bit better and are being well looked after at home. Be good to yourself, love Tracy xx