Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Miscarriage and what option to take?

Hi,

I started bleeding 2 days ago and have had a scan this morning and there is only a sac. I should be 9+5.

The midwife says their policy is to re-scan in 1 week and then I can decide what to do.

I've to call them if bleeding and pain gets much worse.

They said I could wait for nature to take it's course, get some tablets or have a D&C (either under general or local anaesthetic)

I am so confused! and really jsut want it to be all over!

Any advice would be appreciated?

Replies

• Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I can't offer any advice for what route to take i'm afraid (mine was a natural mc at 6-7 weeks) but i didn't want to r+r.

I understand wanting it all to be over, i think anyone who has been through this does. I don't fully understand the implications of each option, so hopefully one of the other ladies will be able to offer some words of wisdom on them. It can be quite quiet on here, but the trying after miscarriage forum can be a bit busier.

Take good care of yourself hunni, and we're good for virtual hugs and a chat if you need them.

xxx.
  • Options
    Hi

I was in the same position 2 weeks ago. Had scan when i thought i would be 9+5 onlt to be told baby didnt grow past 5 weeks. Id had spotting and then reddish blood, but was on and off and never huge amounts.

They told me they would re-scan in 2 weeks, but if i was sure of my dates which i was, then my options were the same as yours.

I decided to go home and let nature take its course. However, the next morning id had no blood at all during the night and really felt like i couldnt wait for nature. As i saw it baby had stopped growing at 5 weeks and i thought i was nearly 10. Why whadnt something happened?? Surely if nature was going to do its thing it would have done it by then? I booked in for d&c the next day. However that day i experienced period type pains and then severe bleeding and clots. I actually spent the best part of 4 hours on the toilet as the clots and bleeding made my uncomfortable.

I cant tell you which option is best as only you can decide. I have actually experienced a d&c before and the pain afterwards was worse than the pain i had with my natural mc. My hospital were very good though and said if i ever changed my mind i was to ring them straight away (which we did do, but in the end didnt need the d&c).

Its very hard, as you say you just want it all over. Do you think you could cope with the waiting?? You may be lucky(well not exactly lucky) and things may start to happen sooner rather than later. Its good they re-scan after 1 week though, better than 2!!

The only thing i felt with the natural way was the feeling of losing the clots wasnt great, but then i was letting my body do what nature wanted.

Sorry if i havent been much help, or ive worried you any more. Its always had to know what to say.

Huge hugs though hun, i do know how you feel at this time xxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi Nessie

Didn't want to r&r. I have been through exactly the same thing. Should have been 9 weeks, but no baby on scan. As had no bleeding, decided on d&c, as didn't want to wait and have scans and bloods every 2 weeks to check hcg levels reducing. Had slight pains and bled for 1 week.

Hope you make the right decision for you.

Take care

Sarah xx
  • Options
    Thank you everyone.

I am bleeding a bit more now, like a heavy period but the pains aren't too bad at the moment.

I'm thinking about just waiting and seeing what happens but i'm just a bit worried as I have my 18 month old son at home with me and the midwives say not to be alone!

I know that my hubby will come home from work if i need him but it's just the waiting for more to happen that's killing me.

It really is good to know that I can get advice from you all and I really appreciate it

xxx
  • Options
    Hi i'm really sorry to hear that, i'm in a similar situation, i had my 12 weeks scan on Monday to be told that i had suffered a missed miscarriage, they said it had happened very early on.

No signs at all, my breasts were less tender but i just put this down to feeling better in my self as i got nearer to the second trimester!

I'm so upset, due to go in on Monday for a D&C, but have started to lightly spot last night and this morning.

I just want to be able to try again, nothing prepares you for how you are going to feel when this happens. I thought i was bering quite level headed because i'm fully aware things can go wrong, but even with thinking this it still hits you hard! image
  • Options
    sar742,

I'm so sorry, I know how you feel. It's completely devastating isn't it?

I think that my first pregnancy was so easy I was sure this on would be the same. I feel so silly as I was looking at baby names, double prams and even maternity clothes! I'll never ever do that again.

Did you choose the D&C option? and are you having it under general anaesthetic?

Take Care

xxx
  • Options
    Well, my body did it most of it naturally.

I got up yesterday and had to run to the toilet and there was so much blood and clots. Every time I got off the toilet I had to rush back!

Phoned the hospital and i had to go in. On our way I stared to feel very faint. As soon as I got there, they examined me and said most of it was out but they would give me the tablets to speed things along.

The midwife then left the room and i fainted! there was a big panic, with oxygen, blood tests, another examination and drips put up. My blood pressure was extremely low. I came round and my poor hubby was very worried.

They thought it was just a combination of blood loss and low blood sugar.

Anyway they decided I wasn't allowed to eat in case I needed the D&C and i was to stay in so they could monitor me.

So all day in bed and 3 lots of tablets later they decided that I had removed everything.

That was the worst bit. I had to go to the toilet in a bed pan and leave it in the loo so they could inspect it. And I saw more than I wanted to.

Got home in the evening and didn't have much pain at all, they said that was quite unusual. I only needed 1 dose of paracetamol.

I'm now glad it's all over and I can rest and decide when we should try again.

• Options
    Oh Nessie, sounds like a pretty rough experience. Sounds like you were well looked after at the hospital though.

Nothing can ever prepare you for the experience of a mc and I hope your feeling ok, as well as you can be.

If you need to talk or chat i think my email button is on xxxxx
  • Options
    Hi ladies, I think I'm going to be joining you all. I should be 11 wks today but had to get a scan on Friday because of some slight spotting. Scan lady said baby looks about 6 wks but couldn't find a heartbeat. I am same that I have to go back in a week but they have little hope more of a procedure then need to make same decision re natural, pills or d&c. Have no clue..... one minute I am fine the next I can't stop crying... is this normal? Feel a little nuts at moment. Does anyone know which option is best for being able to try again? X
  • Options
    Hi pinkchick,

So so sorry you are having to go throught this. In my week that I had to wait I cried a lot, especially as the 12 week mark was so close and you feel like it's just about time to tell people. It's totally natural to be devastated and it will take time to heal.

nearly 3 weeks on and I feel so much better, still very sad but glad the MC was fairly straightforward and feel positive about trying again. I already have a LO, so he is really keeping my mind off things.

My natural MC wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and i'm glad I didn't need an op but if you read some experiences on here some people would have prefered the op.

Just have a think this week and your body might do things naturally anyway. The miscarriage association has a ver good website.

xx
  • Options
    Hi Nessie,

I have a LO too and I appreciate her so much more.... she makes me smile and gives me lots of love and hugs which helps. It's so hard I know it was probably for the best but I swear if one more person says that to me I may scream.

I have no idea what option will be the right one, kinda wish someone would decide for me. Thanks for letting me know that it gets easier. I need that to keep me strong. Did you take any time off work? Is there a recommendation on what's best for me to do?

Thanks so much for helping me.

Xx
  • Options
    when i miacarried last year i had a dc because i would have found it to hard to keep looking into bed pans and them looking i think its easier x
  • Options
    Hi nessie76,

Just read your story and was amazed how closely it matched my miscarriage on December 30th! I ended up miscarrying at 12 weeks (just when I thought I was safe!) - after a day of horrendously increasing bleeding, I ended up faint on the floor at home a few times, and spent most of that afternoon / evening glued to the toilet. My OH had to call an ambulance at midnight and I spent the next 12 hours with a drip attached to my arm, bloodwork being taken (yeah, like I needed to lose any more blood!!) and not being allowed to eat in case of blood transfusion or D&C. I was happy that I didn't need either in the end and that my body took care of itself.

I thought the seriousness of my miscarriage back then was relatively rare, so it's a relief to see that I'm not alone, although of course I wouldn't have wished that experience upon you!

I had another miscarriage in February (at 5 weeks) and am currently 6 weeks pregnant with "attempt number 4" (I've had 3 miscarriages in total).

Best of luck to you for trying again image
  • Options
    Wow Christy,

Yours does sound so like mine! I really didn't know if I could make it to the car and thought we might have to call an ambulance too, thankfully I made it to hospital but it was all so scary. It was awful but when I look back it just seems like a blur now!

Pinkchick, i'm just back to work this week. That was 3 weeks off in total. I thought I was going to go back last week but GP signed me off again as BP still low, i'm glad I took that extra week off as now feel better and ready to TTC again. Hope things are going ok with you.

• Options
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let anyone know that might read this thread that we got another BFP on Wed! This has been our 3rd month TTC since my MC. Very scared but also trying to be very positive. If you are going through what I went through then don't give up hope. I felt so much better the last couple of months and i'm sure being positive helped me a lot. Praying this is a sticky one!

xx
  • Options
    Yay congrats!!!!
  • Options
    G/C from DIN but just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear about your previous mc but am very very pleased for you that you've had a BFP! Fingers crossed that you have a gorgeously healthy and sticky bean xx