Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

coming to terms with mc

hi there i had a miscarriage last night at 8 weeks and just trying to come to terms with it today. I have a hospital appointment booked for tomorrow where i assume they will do a scan to check nothing is left. I had an early scan last week due to some spotting, where i saw the embryo and heartbeat, less than 5 days ago and it was classed as a viable pregnancy, so it's really difficult to understand what has gone wrong. i was in a lot of pain last night for most of the night and spent a long time in the bathroom. didn't get any sleep. i am hoping that is the end of it but who knows. I was wondering on average how long it takes to get cycles back and be ready to ttc again. thanks for your support. x

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun,

I'm so so sorry for your loss. It is still very recent, so take your time with everything you do. You'll be going through a whole range of emotions, and remember that nothing that you do or feel will be wrong.

As for the bleeding, everyone is different. Mine lasted for 12 days, and since then my cycles have been quite short at 21 days, 22 and then this last one was 23. I OV'd for the first time this month too. But again, everyone is different, some ladies get back to normal immediately.

For the next few days, i'd try to make yourself as comfortable as possible. Get your favourite snacks in, your favourite film or tv show on dvd, and put your feet up.

Take care.

xxx.
  • Options
    hello violet,

Am so sorry you lost your little bean ((hugs)). As Looby says, please just take it easy and be kind to yourself. You may find yourself swinging from one extreme to another.

It is very hard to accept once you have seen the little flicker on the screen. Although I was reminded recently that each scan is simply a snap shot in time and no one can predict what nature will do next. I don't have an answer for why this happens but it does - the doctors said to me that it was probably chromosomal so even though there was a heart beat at one stage it couldn't continue.

They will no doubt check you tomorrow as you say to make sure you are safe and that they don't need to do anything for you. The pain may be everything settling but make sure you discuss it with them tomorrow.

My cycles took a while to settle into normality last time although my first AF was 31 days post mc so not too bad. As Looby says everyone is different so there is no hard and fast rule.

Do take care of you and your OH - go easy on yourself and let us know how you go tomorrow.

Love Apple x
  • Options
    hi thanks for your replies. i am going to try and take it easy this weekend. still feeling really "tender" i suppose is the word. i have a 20 month old little boy so it's hard to rest and we've just had the bathtime from hell and i can feel cramps coming on a bit. my OH works long hours and can't take time off so it's hard and i feel like i've been through this on my own. having said that my little boy has been taking my mind off it. we just have to get on with his daily routine and he has been making me laugh today.
  • Options
    Hi Violet,

so sorry for you loss. I suffered my miscaraige on the 28th April, im still waiting for af to arrive so cant really comment on that.

My doctor told me that i could try and conceive again as soon as i had a negative pregnancy test.

What everyone else has said is brill advice, just keep talking and share your feelings. The ladies on here are ace and have helped me a lot through these past few weeks. You are not alone

Emma XX
  • Options
    hi violet ito had a mc started easter weekend and eventually had erpc on 5th may??i have been all over the place mentally but have found most of my comfort through these forums and others ---just reading other peoples experience makes you see your not entirley alone xxit is a complete rollercoaster xxxbest wishes xx
  • Options
    So sorry to hear of your loss. it must be that much harder having seen a heartbeat just a few days before.

I mc on mothers day, thought i was 9 wks butt baby was showing 6wks when i started spotting.

I got my first af 5 weeks exactly after mc,althought was gutted as we went back to ttc straight away. we are still on the case now, so fingers crossed.

I also sympthise with finding it difficult to rest, I have a 22 month old daughter and its not easy, but I just left the house work for a week and rested and napped when she did and relied on meals i had in the freezer! Dont put too much pressure on yourself to recover too quickly hun, take your time.

Love and hugs.

xxxxx
  • Options
    Hi Violet, just wanted to say that i hope all goes well today hun.

Take care xxx.
  • Options
    thanks so much for your words of advice, and for thinking of me. The hospital visit went fine. The midwife was very understanding and helpful and I had a scan which confirmed a complete mc which is something to be grateful for. As long as my current bleeding continues to get lighter, I shouldn't need any treatment.

Just looking forward to the bleeding stopping now and getting on with our lives. It's such a constant reminder isn't it. xx
  • Options
    Hi hun i'm so sorry for what's happened it is hard to understand why,i still ask now and i had mc last december xxx