Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Just had silent miscarriage

Hi, this is my first post and I need a little support. After trying to conceive for 8 years, my hubby and I started adoption process due to be approved in June. In April I discovered I was pregnant only to find I had a silent misscarriage on May 1st. I then endd up in hospital last monday where I actualy had the miscarriage.

Now I am home and feel like I need to make sense of it all. Whole family is devastated and I am so worried that I wont conceive again.

Can anyone help x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Tec46, I'm really sorry for your loss. I also had a missed miscarriage last month and its a really awful time. Take you time to get through it, it does get better but you do have to be really kind to yourself. My doctor advised that you are slightly more fertile in the three months after and miscarriage so that has given me a bit of a lift.

Good luck, and do come on here if you are feeling down, we have been through the same and we are very good listeners.
  • Options
    Thank you. it is so hard to make sense of it. I ended up visiting 3 hospitals in 4 days and got a different message on each occasion. One doctor told me to have 2 periods before trying, another told me as soon as I was ready to try again. its hard to know what to do. Are you back at work now? If so, how did you cope?
  • Options
    Hi Tec46, Sorry to hear of your loss & sorry to gatecrash.
    I also had a missed miscarriage in Jan & was told different things by the doctors. 2-3months, however I went with a friend to her fertility appt not long after & the nurse told me that it was really up to how we felt, and the only real reason some doctors say wait is for dating purposes.
    I waited for one period then started trying, however mine took quite a while too arrive.

I found it really hard & my doctor signed me off work for a month, I must say further down the line I feel better it does get easier. You just have to give yourself the time you need & talk about it when you need too.
    The miscarriage association have some useful info as I couldnt make head or tail of how I was feeling, there info helped me understand that what I was feeling was normal.
    xxxx

• Options
    Am not back at work as am stay at home mum but seeing all the usual people was hard - we seem to be having a small baby boom in my circle of friends which brings on the green eyed monster a bit and at first all I could think about was getting pregnant again as soon as possible. But that feeling is normal and does calm down a bit.

People are surprisingly kind though, we had told a lot of people as we found out about the mmc at 12 weeks and I have had a lot of support, are you back at work soon? don't go in until you are ready, things will be a bit up and down for a while, how is your OH coping?

Poor you, having to go to so many hositals sounds a bit traumatic, as far as being told what to do - I was told by my GP that the only reason they ask you to wait a cycle is for dating reasons and that its fine to start trying again as soon as you feel ready. This seems to be the general advice given to most people on here too.
  • Options
    I have another 3 weeks off work and then I am only back for a week then we are booking a holiday so I think that will be good for both of us. OH a tower of strength but as confused as I am due to adopting one minute, pregnant the next then MC the next. All in the space of four weeks. Two girls at work due same time i was so i know i will find that hard x
  • Options
    That is hard and I am in a similar situation - my sister is pregnant. I just keep telling myself that I will fingers crossed be pg by the time her baby arrives. Are things still proceeding with the adoption process?
  • Options
    No. We cancelled it when we discovered I was pregnant. Never been able to conceive before and although fertility investigtions told us there was no reason for it, never believed I would get pregnant. It seems like a huge slap in the face as adoption was nearing the end of a long adoption process. Dont feel that I could go back to it for some time, Need to explore the whole pregnancy thing a bit more. It must be so hard for you with your sister.

I hope to be PG by due date of 24th Nov. That would make it much easier to deal with. Hospital told us that will have several early scans next time so that will be reassuring.
  • Options
    No. We cancelled it when we discovered I was pregnant. Never been able to conceive before and although fertility investigtions told us there was no reason for it, never believed I would get pregnant. It seems like a huge slap in the face as adoption was nearing the end of a long adoption process. Dont feel that I could go back to it for some time, Need to explore the whole pregnancy thing a bit more. It must be so hard for you with your sister.

I hope to be PG by due date of 24th Nov. That would make it much easier to deal with. Hospital told us that will have several early scans next time so that will be reassuring.
  • Options
    Crossing fingers and toes for you!
  • Options
    Thanks a lot. you too x x x
  • Options
    Hi,

Just wanted to say sorry for your loss. I had a mmc in January. I had one af then tried again, we got pg 2nd month of trying again.

Try to think if there was anything you did differently. It might just be the stress level was decreased, because you were so close the the adoption process being completed. xx

http://bd.lilypie.com/RSdkp1/.png

• Options
    Congratulations, thats really quick. I cant imagine the worry you are going through as well as the exitement. I will keep everything crossed for you.
    I totally believe that I fell pregnant because my mind wasn't on it but don't know how to follow my own advice to help again.
    I suppose I am worried that it will take years again to conceive. Have you had a scan yet x
  • Options
    Hi hun,

You are fertile in the 3 months after a mc, so it was just luck I fell again so quickly. I waited 8 months the first time. Which I realise is nothing to what you have experienced.

I have different 'symptoms' to last time, so I am having a mini panic, as I don't know if that's good or bad! lol

It's way to early for a scan. At 6 weeks you are lucky if you see the heartbeat. Now it's still a bunch of cells, with the sac just forming.

I hope to get an early scan. But as my bean died at 9 weeks. Not sure it'll actually achieve anything for me. But to see the baby at anytime, will be welcome! xx

• Options
    I think you worry if you have symptoms and worry if you dont so maybe you cant win either way. Its still devastating no matter how long you have tried. I think sometimes its a bit surreal how much has happened in the last few weeks. Our lives have totally gone upside down. My hospital told me they would scan from 6 weeks but i think your right, they cant see a heartbeat just then. they must have something to look forward to.
    I didn't find out till i was about 7 weeks but looking back i had every symptom. It will be difficult to not to recognise them this time if they are the same. Whats your due date now?
  • Options
    I think you worry if you have symptoms and worry if you dont so maybe you cant win either way. Its still devastating no matter how long you have tried. I think sometimes its a bit surreal how much has happened in the last few weeks. Our lives have totally gone upside down. My hospital told me they would scan from 6 weeks but i think your right, they cant see a heartbeat just then. they must have something to look forward to.
    I didn't find out till i was about 7 weeks but looking back i had every symptom. It will be difficult to not to recognise them this time if they are the same. Whats your due date now?
  • Options
    My symptoms are slightly different. Due date is 15th Jan. image xx

• Options
    Hi tec46,

So sorry to hear about your loss. I had a mmc at 7 weeks at the end of march. We were both devastated.

We are now ttc again - I have not had a period since my d & c - I've also heard loads of conflicting things about when to ttc again, but I did lots of research and spoke to a nurse on gynae (sometimes I think the nurses know lots more than the doctors!) who told me there was no higher risk of another mc if you didn't wait, and the reason you're asked to wait is for dating purposes and to make sure you are emotionally ready. I went back to work 2 days later, I had my d & c on the Friday and went back to work on the Monday, mostly because I felt like I needed some normality/structure back.

I've heard lots about you being more fertile immediately after a miscarriage so am really hoping that it is true. I just joined this site a few weeks back and everyone is so kind, encouraging and helpful - it is really good to know that there are other people in the same situation as you.

Take care,

Kristen xx
  • Options
    Hi tec46,

So sorry to hear about your loss. I had a mmc at 7 weeks at the end of march. We were both devastated.

We are now ttc again - I have not had a period since my d & c - I've also heard loads of conflicting things about when to ttc again, but I did lots of research and spoke to a nurse on gynae (sometimes I think the nurses know lots more than the doctors!) who told me there was no higher risk of another mc if you didn't wait, and the reason you're asked to wait is for dating purposes and to make sure you are emotionally ready. I went back to work 2 days later, I had my d & c on the Friday and went back to work on the Monday, mostly because I felt like I needed some normality/structure back.

I've heard lots about you being more fertile immediately after a miscarriage so am really hoping that it is true. I just joined this site a few weeks back and everyone is so kind, encouraging and helpful - it is really good to know that there are other people in the same situation as you.

Take care,

Kristen xx
  • Options
    thank you Kristen. Although I know miscarriages are so common, you still feel so alone. I am trying to feel positive but its hard. Tonight is the first night my hubby has been away since the mc. Leaves me too much time to think.Still cant believe was pregnant let alone that I lost the baby. xx
  • Options
    Hey just wanted to echo what the others have said really. I am sorry you have to go through this after such a long time trying and the whole adoption thing. I understand that it is hard to find a way through and see the positive in anything right now you need time to grieve. It is awful trying to get your head around what has happened. You are in good company here though. You are right about feeling alone, no one who has not been through it understands and people forget so quickly and sometimes make you feel like a drama queen for thinking of what could have been. People go on about how common it is as though it helps but it doesn't. Hope you are doing ok with your hubby away, you are not alone though there are plenty of us here if you need us xx