Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Getting rid of the dummy! (Also posted in Baby)

2»

Replies

• Options
    Hubby and i are disagreeing about this, i want to start to wean her off her dummy and also start to get her to self settle again. He keeps saying she's still so little and we should just start to put her down when she's asleep and not worry about the dummy. i think the compromise we have reached is to concentrate on sleep first, although i am trying to get rid of the dummy whilst he is at work!

She only really has her dummy for day time naps and never at bed time. The majority of time she only has it to fall asleep then spits it out.

i'm making progress on gettting her to go to sleep without being cuddled/ rocked/ dummy in the morning after her bottle at 7ish she's always gone back to sleep and i've started to put her back in her crib, she has a kick then make ssh noises and stroke her head. she is becoming attached to muslin's which she cuddles in the morning as she goes to sleep.

Yesterday she only napped for 1 hour through out the entire day 20 mins on way back from asda then 40 mins late afternoon, then went off at 830 last night but wouldn't settle and was really crying and getting more and more upset i tried cuddling rocking her to sleep wasn't working so i caved in on both the dummy after an hour. think she was very over tired.
  • Options
    Eek.
    I'm so surprised that Lily was such an angel yesterday! After her jabs too!
    We put her in her cot, she cried for about 4 minutes, and then was zonked out... FOR THE WHOLE NIGHT. She didn't wake up at all until 7:05AM!
    I'm relived I've finally gotten some proper sleep!
    To anyone that was having problems with waking up in the night to put a dummy back in baby's mouth... Get rid of the dummy! It's only a few days of misery, then you'll be relived you did it! image
    xxx
  • Options
    When I do rarely use a the dummy to settle James I take it out of his mouth as soon as he is calm and sleepy. Sammyham glad you got some good sleep! xx
  • Options
    Have been reading this with interest, how are you getting on without the dummies?

I have been trying to wean Freddie off his as we have major issues feeding and since he has been having it less he is taking his bottles a million times better, he has only had it for one nap today and i took it out as soon as he was asleep, and he had it for about ten seconds when he got upset at baby club, the room was a bit noisy and i could not calm him any other way, other than that he has not had it all day, evevn went to bed without it.

Not sure how we are going to get on through the night though, but seeing the difference in his feeding has really made me happy because it was such a stress for me.

So how are you getting on? any more pearls of wisdom?

Hayley
  • Options
    Oooh! Glad things are going well for you too.

We're getting on pretty well, she woke up about 4 times last night, only went to her once, and that was the first time she woke up, just went in stroked her head, told her to shush, went out the room, she was still crying a little bit, but went back to sleep pretty speedily.
    With the other times I got to my bedroom doorway and then she'd go silent, so I just went back to bed.
    It's slow progress but it definitely means I'm getting more sleep!
    xxx
  • Options
    Oh there's some fab progress on ditch the dummy!

I've had to resort to giving the dummy a few times again, day and night as I couldn't settle him any other way :'( hv reckons now he self settles at night I should stick to my guns and get rid of it in the day too even hough it means a little bit of crying. Thing is he's often overtired as we're still having colic/reflux issues so it's hard to know whether he's in pain or just tired so cry it out is not an option. However i'm convinced the dummy isn't helping with poor naps so it's going and I have a good set of earplugs :lol:
  • Options
    Good to hear your making progress,

Well he has only had his dummy for about two minutes today and that was because i was at slimming world at he was REALLY loud, would not have given it him if i was at home because i probably could have distracted him, but it was difficult in a room of staring, tutting old bids, you know how judgemental people can get when a baby is crying, mad at myself really but other than that he has not had it,

Feel like i am cheating a bit on the naps though as he has settled but we were on a walk for one, and in the car for the other.

I just think that it is going to b easier to get rid of it now than when he is older, i have also realised these past few days that it was me that was dependant on the dummy not Freddie.
  • Options
    James decided himself he didnt actually like it - a couple of times I used it to calm him when he was overtired but now its back in the cupboard xx