Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Sept 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

MW booking appt

Replies

• Options

Hi everyone, this is my first pregnancy and so I'm a little clueless about the procedure... I went to my GP on Thursday and she filled in a form etc and said the midwife/hospital would be in touch about the 12 week scan. I'm just over 5 weeks.

What I'm confused about is the booking in appointment? Will the midwife contact me about this and then my scan? And if so, how long from going to the GP to getting these dates do you have to wait?

I have a holiday booked a few days after the time I will be 12 weeks, and I'm worried my appointment might be for when I'm away! Do they let you rearrange? Ideally I'd like to know everything is okay before I go.

Thanks in advance! xx

• Options

Hey hun. Congrats on your first pregnancy!!! Every area does things slightly differently. IN my area - we have a booking in app at 8 weeks and then the san at 12 weeks. HOwever, in the authority next to me - they have the booking in and scan on the same day. YOu will have the scan and then see the midwife afterwards - where she will go through your history and take blood tests. 

As for how long from GP - I am not sure as in my area you have to go direct to the midwife. It takes a few weeks - but I would chase it up if you haven't heard by 8 weeks.

And I am sure they will let you rearrange. x

• Options
    My booking appt was cancelled yesterday because of the snow image she's coming to my house on Friday instead now. X
  • Options

ive still not been referred lol! GOing on THursday to get referred. 

• Options
    I still haven't told drs!
  • Options

feels like ages till my appt but seems as if many of us havent had one yet image

• Options

All booked - scan should be in abour 3 weeks! Can't wait, hope it goes quick! x

• Options

My booking apt isn't until 28th Feb and I'll be nearly 10 weeks by then so imagine I'll be nearly 14 by the time I get my scan image

• Options
    Hi Herewegoagain and Megsmum, how long did it take for you to get your appointments after initially seeing your GP? I went nearly 2 weeks ago & em still waiting! xx
  • Options
    * am, not em!
  • Options

ooh herewegoagain not long for your scan x 

megsmum that's a bit of a wait, hopefully they can get their acts together to make the scan on time x 

• Options
    C_louise, would you be happy chasing them up? I told my drs this morning and left with my booking in appointment date, it's next Tuesday : )
  • Options
    Ooh, that's good! I think the difficulty with my GP is that they send the letter to the local hospital, (I live in Southampton), who then get it touch with me - the GPs don't seem to be able to do it direct. I think I'll wait this week & then chase it up. Thank you! x
  • Options

c_louise I didn't go through GPs so no help i'm afraid - just made an appt direct with the midwife for when I was 8 weeks x

• Options
    I made direct apt with midwife too.
  • Options

I'm still waiting for my booking in app too - they said i would have it some point between 8 and 10 weeks and i'm 7 and a half now. 

megsmum - chances are it won't be that late - they like you as close to 12 weeks as poss cos it makes dating easier. 

x

• Options

I was told I should have mine by 8 weeks too (I'm 7 weeks today)., so fingers crossed for us that the postman brings them soon! If I don't have it by next week, I'll definitely be chasing it up! x

• Options

no mail for me today image

• Options
    Me either! image

Maybe tomorrow x
  • Options
    After nothing from the postie today, I called the local hospital where my GP had sent my referral letter to, and was glad to hear my notes have been received! Apparently my details have now been passed to the local midwife team (not sure why the doctor couldn't do that) who will be in touch regarding a booking in appointment. The waiting is driving me insane!! xx