Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does my friend have pnd?

Hi Ladies, just looking for a bit of advise really, a friend of mine had her second baby 4 months ago, she has had some psychological issues in the past and has been on anti depressants twice already, the first time was just after her first child. Over the past few weeks I've noticed a dramatic change in her personality although I haven't actually seen her in about a month her texts have just got stranger and stranger to the point where a few days ago I couldn't even make out what she was trying to say. She then text the day after to say her and her husband where splitting up. I finally managed to speak to her 2 days ago and she was like a woman possessed, totally hyper one minute saying all sorts of things like everyone is against her and trying to take her kids off her and then the next totally calm. I heard her husband in the background talking about ringing the crisis team so there are obviously professionals already involved. I don't have her husbands number and don't really know her family or any of her

Replies

• Options
    Jenny
    You are such a good friend to be concerned. your friend is obviously in need of some help and even though she might be recieving some professionally, she really could do with support from her friends.
    I suggest popping by for a visit, try to get her out of the house, take a walk, get a coffee, maybe offer to look after the kids for a bit or even just play with the kids for a bit while she takes a nice bath or something. Whatever you do let her dictate the conversation, dont push her to open up to you if she is not ready just let her know that you love her and you are there for her if she needs you.
    I have been through pnd before and am currently experiencing it with the birth of my 4th child, i only wish i ahd a friend like you
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering from pnd and I think its a real shame you don't have a really good friend to lean on! You can always comment on here and I would be glad to listen to your problems, I think everyone needs someone to vent to!! Is my friends behavior typical of pnd would you say? I have no real experience of it, I'm currently 21 weeks pregnant with my second child and have never suffered with it, I do have amazing support though from my partner, family and friends and try to give that same support to everyone I know as well. My best friend suffered with a touch of the baby blues after her first child but it only lasted a couple of weeks and I just lavished her with love and attention and that seemed to help. Thank you for your advise and I hope you feel better soon xxx
  • Options
    Your friends behaviour does seem somewhat typical of pnd, although it should be mentioned that there are varying heights that the condition can reach. When things get really really bad the woman can develop post-natal psychosis, I have personally had no experience with this but read alot of literature on the subject and it can cause hallucinations, severely erratic behaviour and harmful thoughts about the womans baby. I am unsure as to what stage your friend might be at, but for women with previous history of depressive illnesses it is increasingly likely that they will develop at least some form of post natal depression.
    How is your friend doing, have you been in contact with her recently?

Congratulations on your pregnancy, do you know what you are having?
    I have just had my 4th child, a beautiful little boy who we called Linkin. Like you my husband is incredibly supportive and i feel guilty that he has to go through all this again, I somehow feel like its my fault even though i know thats absurd. I am trying to get through this a little differently this time (last time i ended up on antidepressants). I am trying to get out more and trying to keep busy. I am currently studying at university (classes have just gone back after the xmas break) and the workload on top of caring for the kids and housework is keeping me busy, i know i am juggling alot but i am scared if i stop for a minute then i might fall apart.
    I am sorry for the rant, I hope your friend knows how lucky she is to have someone like you who cares for her.
    xxx