Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Scared of PND second time around

Hello ladies,

I am new to babyexpert but couldn't find better advice then from mothers who have experienced what i have.

When i was 19 i fell pregnant with my now husbands child. I was on the pill at the time so the pregancy was not at all planned. At around 4 months into my pregnancy my parents dropped the bombshell that they were going to start divorce proceedings which started to turn very messy. Bearing in mind i was 19 and in a situation that i was not prepared for this was the last thing i needed. every day i recieved phone calls from both my mum and dad running each other down but i was too week to stop them from doing so. My husband was furious with them for what they put me through. At 6 months i had full on pre-natal depression. I was a total mess and couldnt be left alone and had to be baby sat all the time! it was awful but i managed to over come this and enjoy my pregnancy.

At 38 weeks i was struck down with the most horrendous pain and was rushed to hospital. It turns out that my appendix had burst and i was rushed into surgery and a c-section was performed to remove my daugter who was also having difficulties. I never experience any contractions, labour or child birth.

After 10 days i knew something was wrong again and i had PND! just my luck! I never had any love loss towards my baby i just felt so down and cheated by the circumstances i was faced with and at times detached from her. I beat PND and have had the most amazing 6 years with her. Now we are planning baby no 2 and will TTC in may. I am not so worried about getting PND as i know all the signs but i fell i am more in control of circumstances and the fact that the pregnancy is planned should help me mentally.

I was just wondering if there are any second time mums who have been unfortunante to have experienced PND twice?

Sorry to put a downer on things, i just want to tackle this head on. We so want another baby and for it all to be much easier this time around. We have an amazing daughter who has always bee as good as gold.

Thanks

[Modified by: greenEYEDgirl on 24 February 2010 21:21:04 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    well I am so sorry to hear that your first pregnancy was so fraught with stress. I too know the heartache that family can cause, mine have been an utter nightmare of late, to the point where I have not spoken with any of them in months.
    In relation to your question on pnd, I was diagnosed with it when my first born was almost one. I knew that things were not right but i was in major denial. I didnt want to acknowledge that I wasn't the 'supermum' that i appeared to be. almost 6 years later and we have just had our 4th child, he is 11 weeks old and the cutest little thing. Unfortunately though i have began to notice the same signs and symptoms that i experienced last time but i really dont want to go on antidepressants again so i am trying my hardest to push through it.
    I wish you all the luck with your 2nd pregnancy and if you need or want to chat to someone either about pregnancy stuff, birth, parenting or even pnd im here to chat
    xxx