Forum home Babies Postnatal depression
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

finally going to see a dr tomorrow

its taken me a long time to admit that i need to speak to someone but i can't just muddle on anymore, i am off to see my dr tomorrow to see if i can get some help.

i have been feeling helpless, lonely, over emotional and generally a total wreck for a while now but everytime someone asks i just say i am fine well after reading lots of other posts on here i realise i am not alone and i am going to do something about it.

wish me luck!

Replies

• Options
    good luck
    it will do you good to at least talk about it. don't feel ashamed or that there must be something wrong with you if you feel you aren't coping. I know i felt like it was just me as every other new mum i knew was coping just fine. i didn't want to take antidepressants as i felt there was a stigma attached to them but it was the best thing i have ever done. it was so good to feel normal again
    hope you feel better soon;\)
  • Options
    Hope your appointment goes well honey.

I too thought I could muddle on, I've been seeing my dr for a while but didn't want to take anti-depressants but I've bitten the bullet and made another appointment for monday to see what she can recommend. You really aren't alone and its nice to know (if you know what I mean) that other people are feeling the same way.
    Let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrrow!

Like the others on here the best thing I ever did was start on the anti-depessants - the difference was massive. As it was my first baby I kept convincing myself it was baby blues but in my heart of hearts I knew it was PND and I eventually went to the GP when my dd was 12 weeks old.

I found it really difficult to be totally honest about how I was feeling initially (stigma, fear etc etc) but when I finally came clean about exactly how I was feeling and the thoughts that were going through my head my GP just said 'that's completely normal for someone with PND don't worry about it - but we can treat it' - I cannot explain just how much better even his words made me feel! I was on citalopram for 6 months and can now say really enjoy being a mum!

If you do go on medication remember it can make your symptoms much worse for 1-2 weeks but after that you'll start to feel the effects!

Hope you're feeling better soon! It does go away!
  • Options
    How did your trip to the doctors go? Any help?
  • Options
    Hiya,

thank you for all your replies, the drs went well, confirmed what i thought and yep i have got pnd. I was given a prescription for Citalopram and i am waiting for an appointment with my HV.

I feel better just having spoke to someone about it and my hubby has been an amazing source of support. Well lets see how this goes now, guess i am starting my own journey with this now.

Choccy x
  • Options
    I'm glad things went well and that your hubby is being really supportive.

We're all around here if you need anymore advice.